Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

This was my first time watching Love this season (other Packer games were out of region).

First half he looked uncomfortable. Stiff in the pocket. Statue of Liberty play. Would stare down covered receivers when there'd be a back open in the flat.

Second half Detroit didn't let off the gas but Love loosened up, took what was available and showed he can hang as an NFL QB. Made some big time throws. 

With a few more weeks of game reps he'll be in great shape.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StatKing said:

Unlike you I don't take greatness for granted. There's a lot of good QBs coming up this year, whether you like it or not this season is it for Jordan Love. If he doesn't play better we have to move on.

But you seem ready to move on after 4 games.  Yes, if we don't see improvement by the end of the year then we may have to move on.  What were you expecting from a first year starter this early in his career?  The second coming of AR or Brady?

• Like 1

I wonder if the Bears would trade us Fields for Love, we should do it while Love still has some value. The more Love plays the more bad tape he'll put out.

OR maybe the Queens would give us Kirk if we threw in the Jets 2nd rounder as well.

Please help, I'm scrambling for ideas now and the trade deadline is fast approaching

7 hours ago, Pugger said:

But you seem ready to move on after 4 games.  Yes, if we don't see improvement by the end of the year then we may have to move on.  What were you expecting from a first year starter this early in his career?  The second coming of AR or Brady?

Im not far off, if his play continues trending in this direction then we need to see if Clifford can play before the draft. I was expecting to see a guy who could complete atleast 60% of his passes and doesn't miss wide open WRs by a mile every single game.

We have to pay this guy soon, does he play like a guy worth 45+ million a year? We could be staring down a potential nightmare scenario here real soon.

I was actually kind of happy to see the post game film shows that Love did have options.  I was more concerned that DET was all over MLF's concepts.  This is the stuff you had to expect from Love, and he'll get it figured out.

My biggest concern right now with Love is that he throws off platform way more than he needs to.  If that doesn't get fixed, his accuracy is always going to be a problem.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Sandy said:

This was my first time watching Love this season (other Packer games were out of region).

First half he looked uncomfortable. Stiff in the pocket. Statue of Liberty play. Would stare down covered receivers when there'd be a back open in the flat.

Second half Detroit didn't let off the gas but Love loosened up, took what was available and showed he can hang as an NFL QB. Made some big time throws. 

With a few more weeks of game reps he'll be in great shape.

He got to get over the slow starts .. each game so far he's struggled out of the gate and then got much better as the game goes on.  When he gets on a heater he's really good, but now the trick is to become consistent for a complete game.  

I'm still fully on the Love train and you give him next year minimum. He's going to have ups and downs especially given the injury struggles and youth on offense. Sometimes he's uncomfortable, sometimes erratic, And some times he just nails it. The fact he can fairly often hit those gives me enough to believe he just needs snaps. This was never going to be a make or break year for Love unless he was Zach Wilson level bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

A most ironic twist to the Rodgers injury is that it prevents GB from having better extra ammo to move up and get one of those top QBs, should they decide that's what they want. Not saying they should, just something I'm thinking about. 

I wonder if it affects the option of relocating from Green Bay as well. Another consideration just as worthy of thinking about :)

22 hours ago, Pugger said:

This, right here

Now before StatKing just hits me with stuff, I am not going to just sing Love's praises or assume it's written in stone that he's going to achieve the same level of greatness that Favre and Rodgers reached.  He very well may not.  If we have to move on, we have to move on and I can accept it if needed.

But how can we just suddenly call the Love experiment over when he hasn't even started a full season yet or established the full breadth of his tendencies?  Yeah he's raw but so are most other QBs coming in, and games like our last one are going to happen to every single one of the young QBs entering this league and on this team, it's inevitable.  You don't just stick the fork in them over those, at least not unless the patterns go on week after week.

I think Love can turn into a good QB because while inconsistent, he has resiliency and mental toughness to be in this league if nothing else.  But we need to give him at least this full season and possibly the next one too before we decide he's a keeper or a bust.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

This, right here

Now before StatKing just hits me with stuff, I am not going to just sing Love's praises or assume it's written in stone that he's going to achieve the same level of greatness that Favre and Rodgers reached.  He very well may not.  If we have to move on, we have to move on and I can accept it if needed.

But how can we just suddenly call the Love experiment over when he hasn't even started a full season yet or established the full breadth of his tendencies?  Yeah he's raw but so are most other QBs coming in, and games like our last one are going to happen to every single one of the young QBs entering this league and on this team, it's inevitable.  You don't just stick the fork in them over those, at least not unless the patterns go on week after week.

I think Love can turn into a good QB because while inconsistent, he has resiliency and mental toughness to be in this league if nothing else.  But we need to give him at least this full season and possibly the next one too before we decide he's a keeper or a bust.

Agreed. There were some factors about the Lions game that have to be considered, and have little to do with Love. First, it was a very short week (Thursday game). That had to favor an experienced team like the Lions over a very young team like the Packers. Second, Joe Barry can't seem to get his defense in the correct alignment, ever. So the Lions were able to run up the score and limit the Packers play selection, making the offense more predictable. And third, our crappy O-line was not able to protect Love. I doubt there are many QBs who could function efficiently under that kind of pressure. 

There are lots of things that can be evaluated from that game including Joe Barry, and the O-line, but not Love's performance. That wasn't a fair test of Love. Next week will be aa fairer test. His young team will have plenty of time to prepare. Hopefully Jenkins will be back to steady the O-line and give Love time to read the D and make the throws. Love's grade is: Incomplete.

Barry OTOH I'm done evaluating him. His grade is in: F. 

Edited by Mr. Fussnputz
word smithing
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, spilltray said:

I'm still fully on the Love train and you give him next year minimum. He's going to have ups and downs especially given the injury struggles and youth on offense. Sometimes he's uncomfortable, sometimes erratic, And some times he just nails it. The fact he can fairly often hit those gives me enough to believe he just needs snaps. This was never going to be a make or break year for Love unless he was Zach Wilson level bad.

Hes had plenty of snaps.  Getting a majority of them in the past 2 OTAs, training camp and preseason games.   It would be one thing if he didn't know the offense and couldn't read defenses.  He can, he knows the offense.  The issue is accuracy and how much better is he going to get?  Can he improve it? Yes, but I wouldn't expect BIG jumps in that area.  He's been throwing in this offense a lot over the past few summers.  Aside from Thursdays OL disaster, he's had pretty clean pockets to throw from.  I think hes going to see a lot of 8 man boxes, and pressure in the short passing game, making his accuracy downfield a focal point.  There's still a lot of ball to be played, we'll see how it plays out.

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Hes had plenty of snaps.  Getting a majority of them in the past 2 OTAs, training camp and preseason games.   It would be one thing if he didn't know the offense and couldn't read defenses.  He can, he knows the offense.  The issue is accuracy and how much better is he going to get?  Can he improve it? Yes, but I wouldn't expect BIG jumps in that area.  He's been throwing in this offense a lot over the past few summers.  Aside from Thursdays OL disaster, he's had pretty clean pockets to throw from.  I think hes going to see a lot of 8 man boxes, and pressure in the short passing game, making his accuracy downfield a focal point.  There's still a lot of ball to be played, we'll see how it plays out.

I don't think any of that fully prepared you for live speed snaps. Even preseason is a whole different level of intensity. Also he's had a good number of near misses downfield that were just a young group not being in sync. Musgrave has oddly shifted his route a few times and other guys have similar shifts that are as much they just aren't 100% on the same page as accuracy.

As far as the OL. I'll agree until Thursday they've been fantastic in pass blocking, run blocking has been pretty sketchy.

• Like 1