Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

9 minutes ago, MacReady said:

We need to stop this notion that Love sucks because his receivers are young.

He has the worst open target miss rate in the NFL at 11% missed open targets. For context, Max Jones is under 5% missing open targets.

This shows that, even when those young targets ARE open, he’s still missing them.

He’s bad. He has the ability to make those nifty, awe-inspiring plays like the pass to Doubs that Doubs dropped and Reed caught. That was a beautiful play that got its deserved TD.

But he doesn’t have any normal skill.

He’s bad at things bad quarterbacks are good at, but good at things bad quarterbacks are also bad at. He’s still bad.

57.5% at 6.5 YPA through six games with his toughest opponents coming up.

5 QBs have a worse rate, he's right next to....Brock Purdy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

5 QBs have a worse rate, he's right next to....Brock Purdy.

2 weeks ago Purdy was getting MVP talks. 

QB position gets too much criticism when things go wrong, and too much favor when things go right.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

2 weeks ago Purdy was getting MVP talks. 

QB position gets too much criticism when things go wrong, and too much favor when things go right.

You can find a stat for any of the non-elite QB's that tells you he's a franchise QB, and one that tells you that you need to move on from them.

My take on QB's is if they show you they have a balls to stand in the pocket and deliver throws, they have the mental awareness to navigate the pocket and keep their eyes downfield, they can understand the offense and progressions and they have above average arm talent, I can live with growing pains to try and hit that potential. Love has shown all of that. A guy like Brian Brohm, you knew right away he was afraid of the pass rush and made decisions based on not getting hit, can't fix that. Look at Fields, he can't mentally grasp the progressions. Love doesn't have a "move on" trait. Deep route accuracy is his issue, that's a fundamental issue and worth giving 32 games to and see how it pans out. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MacReady said:

We need to stop this notion that Love sucks because his receivers are young.

He has the worst open target miss rate in the NFL at 11% missed open targets. For context, Max Jones is under 5% missing open targets.

This shows that, even when those young targets ARE open, he’s still missing them.

He’s bad. He has the ability to make those nifty, awe-inspiring plays like the pass to Doubs that Doubs dropped and Reed caught. That was a beautiful play that got its deserved TD.

But he doesn’t have any normal skill.

He’s bad at things bad quarterbacks are good at, but good at things bad quarterbacks are also bad at. He’s still bad.

57.5% at 6.5 YPA through six games with his toughest opponents coming up.

serious question

where to the % for these come from?  

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's why I keep saying we need an Alpha WR.  It's not like they grow on trees, but we kind of had one of those and traded him way.  I get that Adams age was definitely a factor, but I don't think there has been much decline in his abilities.  The Packers had an offer on the table, but they chose Rodgers over him at the end of the day.  He'd be Love's go-to guy right now, and Watson and Doubs would look really good as a #2 & #3 with the hopes that they would ascend by the time Adams was tailing off.  I think the whole thing was a major miscalculation and should have Gute on the hot seat. 

SB rings of noted Alphas WRs Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill - 1

The stud WR is nice but not fully necessary. 

• Like 1

Stud WR #'s in SB's is skewed just like stud RB #'s. They're usually on ****e teams because of where they were taken.

Plenty of SB appearances in that group though, not their fault they lost... Hell Owens was the reason his team got their on a broken ankle if I remember in 2005. But getting there IS a BIG thing, remember when we all thought GB would get to another almost as a certainty after 2010??  well....

a Stud TE would be nice, and damnit if not a fantastic safety valve for a green QB.

Argument is its imperative to have more than one weapon, in a SB the other team likely has a pretty good defense and or coordinator, they'll take away your best guy on most plays.

We had Adams, and an electric RB who has to play on a pitch count and got the case of the fumbles.

Edited by Laces Out

3 hours ago, Mox said:

I was never high on Jordan Love, hell I wrote an entire article about how much I hated the pick, but even I think you talk about it way too much and with too much spite. I want Jordan Love to be good. I don't think you do.

Its nothing personal, he seems like a good guy and hes been nothing but a class act since hes been here. I just don't see any reason to be optimistic about him as a player. Wasn't high on him as prospect and I see no reason to change my opinion about him as a QB.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

SB rings of noted Alphas WRs Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill - 1

Godwin and Evans are studs, they won one recently.

Rams had Kupp.  And OBJ.

Denver had Thomas and Sanders.  (RIP Thomas)

The reason that "stud" Wr's don't receive more praise is the Brady effect in my book.  He didn't win any with "stud" receivers unless you consider Gronk a WR or Edelman a stud.  

Way back Rice won plenty.  As did Irvin.  It isn't like it is "new" for a big time WR to win a SB.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You can find a stat for any of the non-elite QB's that tells you he's a franchise QB, and one that tells you that you need to move on from them.

My take on QB's is if they show you they have a balls to stand in the pocket and deliver throws, they have the mental awareness to navigate the pocket and keep their eyes downfield, they can understand the offense and progressions and they have above average arm talent, I can live with growing pains to try and hit that potential. Love has shown all of that. A guy like Brian Brohm, you knew right away he was afraid of the pass rush and made decisions based on not getting hit, can't fix that. Look at Fields, he can't mentally grasp the progressions. Love doesn't have a "move on" trait. Deep route accuracy is his issue, that's a fundamental issue and worth giving 32 games to and see how it pans out. 

He hasn't shown that he's capable of doing any of that at a consistent level. I know how this franchise runs so he's probably going to get two years but if we end up with a top 5 pick how can one not consider taking a QB? We don't owe him a damn thing.

These are the plays that concern me regarding Love, for several reasons. First, he has two open options and doesn't hit either one. But worse for me is that he doesn't throw this ball to Reed who immediately looks back for the ball in the middle of the field. 

Now I'm not an NFL QB and I'd like to see one break down the play, but I'd imagine most would say this is a read the QB needs to make in his sleep. Love needs to recognize the defense and pretty much know at the snap he's going to have Reed open over the middle before that safety overtop has time to come down. Yet...he doesn't see it, and worse doesn't even throw it, instead he goes to Watson, and is significantly late on the throw to him as well.

Just not good all the way around and the mental part of this entire sequence is what scares me the most about Love. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

These are the plays that concern me regarding Love, for several reasons. First, he has two open options and doesn't hit either one. But worse for me is that he doesn't throw this ball to Reed who immediately looks back for the ball in the middle of the field. 

Now I'm not an NFL QB and I'd like to see one break down the play, but I'd imagine most would say this is a read the QB needs to make in his sleep. Love needs to recognize the defense and pretty much know at the snap he's going to have Reed open over the middle before that safety overtop has time to come down. Yet...he doesn't see it, and worse doesn't even throw it, instead he goes to Watson, and is significantly late on the throw to him as well.

Just not good all the way around and the mental part of this entire sequence is what scares me the most about Love. 

Is that something that he learns to correct over time?

I just think from week 1 to now he is regressing and that is part MLF part him. You can see he is playing tight and not free and narratives of pass completion percentages, inaccuracy with downfield pass etc is all messing with his head and he is trying to over compensate rather than play free. That I think is why we start slow, he has to overcome all that quicker and find a rhythm and MLF has to make the calls to make it happen.

I reckon we got a good QB there but too much is not going right for the whole offence at one time. Not having Jones in the game is massive.  

Having Walker as his LT is just a recipe for disaster for Love and the offence

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StatKing said:

He hasn't shown that he's capable of doing any of that at a consistent level. I know how this franchise runs so he's probably going to get two years but if we end up with a top 5 pick how can one not consider taking a QB? We don't owe him a damn thing.

Agree, but for now, it's his show.  He's got a couple of months of play left to evaluate.  I wouldn't draft a QB high, just to draft a QB.  There's gotta be something there.

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

That's a bad example (pun intended) :)

I'd rather have James Jones, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson with a combined 4