Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

This week's interview with Warner on GoLong was great.  The Warner quote below sums up my feelings on Love so far perfectly, even though I could never say it as well.  Love's decisions seem pretty good.  It's the mechanics that are killing him and messing with the timing on a lot of throws.

When you have a ball in your hands, I want you in a throwing position. So the goal when you’re playing quarterback is to live in that position as much as you possibly can. If you get out of that position? Now, you’re in trouble. So the more you live out of that position and you have to try to create a throw or you have to get back into position to throw, that all takes time or it leads to inaccuracies. And that’s kind of the biggest thing with me. He doesn’t play in the position I want him in nearly enough. He’s bouncing. Or his feet are all over. Or his feet are moving a whole bunch. Or he’s not sticking his back foot in the ground so he can drive a throw on time or the throws are late coming out of his hands. And so that’s the kind of thing. It’s playing ready more than playing faster. Even though it is faster with a faster sense of urgency. But it’s really just playing ready. Living in that ready position, which he’s not doing nearly enough right now.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This week's interview with Warner on GoLong was great.  The Warner quote below sums up my feelings on Love so far perfectly, even though I could never say it as well.  Love's decisions seem pretty good.  It's the mechanics that are killing him and messing with the timing on a lot of throws.

The problem is he has had 3 years as a professional QB to fix mechanics. I was really hoping he had it but he just doesn't. If mechanics are still an issue 3 years into your NFL career either your coaches are not doing what they should or you simply don't have the ability to change.

Quote: When you have a ball in your hands, I want you in a throwing position. So the goal when you’re playing quarterback is to live in that position as much as you possibly can. If you get out of that position? Now, you’re in trouble. So the more you live out of that position and you have to try to create a throw or you have to get back into position to throw, that all takes time or it leads to inaccuracies. And that’s kind of the biggest thing with me. He doesn’t play in the position I want him in nearly enough. He’s bouncing. Or his feet are all over. Or his feet are moving a whole bunch. Or he’s not sticking his back foot in the ground so he can drive a throw on time or the throws are late coming out of his hands. And so that’s the kind of thing. It’s playing ready more than playing faster. Even though it is faster with a faster sense of urgency. But it’s really just playing ready. Living in that ready position, which he’s not doing nearly enough right now.

"Paging Tom Clements. Tom Clements please pick up the nearest white courtesy phone....."

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just a guess, but....

Living in that position of readiness?  That is ideal.  And it comes with clean pockets and an understanding of what the QB is seeing from the defense.

When the fundamentals go to hell, it is typically because the QB doesn't know exactly what he's seeing, nor where to go.  It can also be because he's seeing and feeling the rush so much that he's watching that and not the defense.

These are signs of a young, experienced quarterback.  Which Love is.  Only way to get through this?  Time and talent.

Draft this kid some quality offensive linemen.  Look at adding a real NFL wide receiver to that room that can win quickly and be a security blanket.  Or?  Put the full court press on one of your young kids at WR to step up very quickly into that role.

Out of all of that, I'd say that Love and this offense needs time and o-line talent to get to where they want to be.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just a guess, but....

Living in that position of readiness?  That is ideal.  And it comes with clean pockets and an understanding of what the QB is seeing from the defense.

When the fundamentals go to hell, it is typically because the QB doesn't know exactly what he's seeing, nor where to go.  It can also be because he's seeing and feeling the rush so much that he's watching that and not the defense.

These are signs of a young, experienced quarterback.  Which Love is.  Only way to get through this?  Time and talent.

Draft this kid some quality offensive linemen.  Look at adding a real NFL wide receiver to that room that can win quickly and be a security blanket.  Or?  Put the full court press on one of your young kids at WR to step up very quickly into that role.

Out of all of that, I'd say that Love and this offense needs time and o-line talent to get to where they want to be.

100% this. If his first read is not there because the guy ran the wrong route or it's covered he starts getting jumpy and happy feet. That coupled with the lack of trust in his oline, he just doesn't know how to process quick enough what to do next and have his body ready to go.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just a guess, but....

Warner is right though...he is bouncing around too much for no reason. His feet need to quiet down. Watching Levis last night, his feet are much quieter and almost flat footed in the pocket when he is surveying the field...allows him to quickly make the throw with better balance and more velocity.  Love has shown that he can do that.  There was one throw Love made last week where Love set his feet and just rocketed the ball into a key hole to Doubs before the safety (who had baited the throw), could intercept it. We need to see more of that.  Set your feet, push off that back foot and let it rip with velocity. He has the arm talent...just has to get his feet to work better more consistently.

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

100% this. If his first read is not there because the guy ran the wrong route or it's covered he starts getting jumpy and happy feet. That coupled with the lack of trust in his oline, he just doesn't know how to process quick enough what to do next and have his body ready to go.

Agree, he doesn't process defenses quick enough and is often late with the ball.   This results in a lot of contested balls which isn't a Packer WR strong suit.  He's got 10 games to fix it or he'll likely be facing competition in the next training camp if the Packers can find a QB they like.

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, he doesn't process defenses quick enough and is often late with the ball.   This results in a lot of contested balls which isn't a Packer WR strong suit.  He's got 10 games to fix it or he'll likely be facing competition in the next training camp if the Packers can find a QB they like.

Brett Favre also pointed something out.  At some point you have to take chicken **** and turn it into chicken salad. That's the "IT" factor. Your either the truck or the trailer. I think he was the truck in the second half of the New Orleans game....he willed the team to a win....now more of that please.

2 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Brett Favre also pointed something out.  At some point you have to take chicken **** and turn it into chicken salad. That's the "IT" factor. Your either the truck or the trailer. I think he was the truck in the second half of the New Orleans game....he willed the team to a win....now more of that please.

I give Love credit for what he did, but David Carr going out had a lot to do with that win.  Still, Love made the plays he had to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The issue with being a QB who's picking up a lot of tendency from Aaron Rodgers who picked up a lot of tendency from Brett Favre.

Those are two QB's who's footwork was not what you'd want taught in the room. Both were still first ballot HOF's. 

End of the day it won't matter if he starts becoming consistently productive. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The issue with being a QB who's picking up a lot of tendency from Aaron Rodgers who picked up a lot of tendency from Brett Favre. Those are two QB's who's footwork was not what you'd want taught in the room. Both were still first ballot HOF's.

Ha! You beat me to it.

Time for Love to just cut it loose.  He's kind of been given a 10 game edict to get it going, or face the consequences from management.  Definitely needs the help of all his supporting cast, but he needs to play better as well.  That's got to start now against a weak team on your home field.

Edited by {Family Ghost}