Vikings trade pass rusher Za'Darius Smith to Browns

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

They got something for a player who clearly didn't want to be on the team this year and definitely would not have been on the team in '24.  And he's 30 yrs old (turns 31 before Week 1) with a significant recent injury history.  That's far from a joke.  That's a pretty good deal.

It's fine. I don't think getting two fifths, even w/o giving up picks to move up, is a pretty good deal. It's fine. 

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's fine. I don't think getting two fifths, even w/o giving up picks to move up, is a pretty good deal. It's fine. 

it's not a pretty good deal, you're right. it is accurate to say though that it's the best we could get for him.

disappointing? sure, definitely. but his value throughout the league diminished considerably, and i'll wager he doesn't have any great significance to the Browns after 5 or 6 games.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's all about perspective.  As VD sort of indicated, based on what the expectation was, I believe it's a pretty good deal, adding in all the details surrounding it.  If he were 27 yrs old or never had back or knee injuries, yes, it would be disappointing.  But then again, he'd probably never have been here in the first place...he'd still be in Green Bay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Trade a Pro Bowl edge rusher and a 6th/7th rounder for two freaking 5th round picks.  What a joke.  Odd how NFL trading works, clearly they just did not want the contract, but obviously got almost nothing in return for him...

Obviously then they will get slim to nothing for Cook as well if he is traded.  

Oh man; we got rid of a chronically injured player, who literally didn't contribute in the second half of the year, from our seemingly historically bad defense. For shame!

Edited by AP_allday2869

38 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Oh man; we got rid of a chronically injured player, who literally didn't contribute in the second half of the year, from our seemingly historically bad defense. For shame!

The bolded is untrue. I agree with the trade, but he was still generating pressures (20 in weeks 1-8, 17 in weeks 9-17) and hurries (4 in weeks 1-8, 7 in weeks 9-17). Sack numbers didn't pop, but he was still an effective pass rusher.

• Like 2

Just now, JDBrocks said:

The bolded is untrue. I agree with the trade, but he was still generating pressures (20 in weeks 1-8, 17 in weeks 9-17) and hurries (4 in weeks 1-8, 7 in weeks 9-17). Sack numbers didn't pop, but he was still an effective pass rusher.

While I won't say that he didn't contribute, he certainly wasn't the same player.  I also find it real hard to take "hurries" as something serious (and pressures subsequently since hurries are part of it), because it is so open to interpretation by the person watching the film.  It's almost egregious in this situation because the middle of the field was so wide open a half second into the play really was it being caused by pressure?   

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

While I won't say that he didn't contribute, he certainly wasn't the same player.  I also find it real hard to take "hurries" as something serious (and pressures subsequently since hurries are part of it), because it is so open to interpretation by the person watching the film.  It's almost egregious in this situation because the middle of the field was so wide open a half second into the play really was it being caused by pressure?   

Pressures are a better indicator of successful pass rushing (Hurries + knowckdowns + sacks) than raw sack numbers are.

• Like 1

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Pressures are a better indicator of successful pass rushing (Hurries + knowckdowns + sacks) than raw sack numbers are.

That's certainly true, but I will take knockdowns and sacks more seriously than the hurries, because those are things that are easily observed and verified.  Hurries can vary from person to person watching the same exact tape. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hurries are a worthless stat. They can be recorded while not having any meaningful or positive impact on the play.

disagree. It generally means that you won your individual assignment, regardless of what the rest of the team did.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:35 PM, AP_allday2869 said:

I have no issue getting rid of him but trading him along with two other draft picks to get two draft picks in return seems like what is the point?  Only a contract bail because the difference between a 5th rounder and a 6th or 7th rounder is not much at all.  

I just do not see why one would have to put in a 6th and a 7th rounder with a Pro Bowl player, sure he is old and gets hurt but is the best pass rusher on the team last year and will start on Cleveland next year opposite Garrett.  Are the Vikings getting a starter back, absolutely not so why give a 6th and a 7th with Smith?  It just makes no sense in terms of pure players and the trade, so obviously it was a contract bail out only.

• Like 1