2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

Philly and SF are two best teams in league right now.

RB and LB are least valuable positions in football, but mcCaffrey and SF LBs are the cinnamon for their recipes.  

They are not same without them.  They make big plays and add new dimensions to what they can do.  

Purdy was impressive last night.  Especially coming off an injury that robbed him of his offseason and some arm strength.  He just has a feel for the game.  Brady like. 

You can succeed at that position without being a great athlete.  But identifying who those guys are is hard, I am not sure anyone really does.  

It’s almost like they have to have everyone in front of them get hurt to get their chance.  And then a coach willing to stay with them for a bit for them to get their feet wet.  

Like Brady and Kurt Warner.   To a lessor extent Cousins.   

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Philly and SF are two best teams in league right now.

RB and LB are least valuable positions in football, but mcCaffrey and SF LBs are the cinnamon for their recipes.  

They are not same without them.  They make big plays and add new dimensions to what they can do.  

The hybrid role Cmc has always been in his career has made him not so much of a runningback but an ATH. That trade has worked wonders for them and it’s lucky he’s been healthy lately after a couple beat up seasons in car. I’m happy he’s been paid appropriately too. 

You can succeed at that position without being a great athlete.  But identifying who those guys are is hard, I am not sure anyone really does.  

I was one of the ones guilty of assuming the injury he sustained would threaten his career and that he’d miss much of this season when it happened. He’s been pretty special for them. It helps that they had a run of qbs that didn’t quite have it, so him showing off now means he might actually be decent. I’m all for a Mr Irrelevant that ends up a SB Champ or top 15 qb or so. SF is my pick for sb this year. 

• Like 1

Purdy was impressive last night.  Especially coming off an injury that robbed him of his offseason and some arm strength.  He just has a feel for the game.  Brady like. 

It’s almost like they have to have everyone in front of them get hurt to get their chance.  And then a coach willing to stay with them for a bit for them to get their feet wet.  

Like Brady and Kurt Warner.   To a lessor extent Cousins.   

I think it also shows that it’s impossible to evaluate a QB who’s getting secondary reps.

I think coaches identify a guy based on poor reasoning than give him all the first team reps without seeing a similar alternative.

ideally would like to see Lance and Purdy share first team reps at the start of camp and then decide who’s the QB.

9 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think it also shows that it’s impossible to evaluate a QB who’s getting secondary reps.

I think coaches identify a guy based on poor reasoning than give him all the first team reps without seeing a similar alternative.

ideally would like to see Lance and Purdy share first team reps at the start of camp and then decide who’s the QB.

Lance did get first team reps for the whole 2022 offseason and a game or two or three (I can't remember how many) before he got hurt.  

The players saw he wasn't good.  When they had their captain vote after offseason they said, nah.   They wanted Garoppolo back.  

I had a whole argument about it on our opening day thread with a bunch of 49ers fans who said that didn't mean anything.

Purdy stepped in and balled out with no practice reps.  Then he just did it again this year after late last year injury.  Really quite incredible.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sadly I think this may be Belichick's last year.   They are giving up on Mac Jones and it looks they are going to flounder this year.

I bet Kraft is going to invite him to retire with grace. 

I don't even think it is just Jones...that entire squad is pretty poor right now and given BB is both the HC & GM that puts a lot of the blame at his door either way...

Hell of a run and IMO the best HC of all time but yeah I agree the time has come.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't even think it is just Jones...that entire squad is pretty poor right now and given BB is both the HC & GM that puts a lot of the blame at his door either way...

Hell of a run and IMO the best HC of all time but yeah I agree the time has come.

Great coach.   His offenses executed better than anyone when he had Scarnecchia and Brady.  It didn't even matter who the OC was - they all had success with those two guys in building together.   He excelled especially defensive game planning with extra time.  

If he was any good at all at drafting and also didn't lose so many high picks to NFL discipline he would have another 3-4 superbowls with Brady.

He should have swallowed his pride and let someone else run draft.

He did real good until 2004 and then lost his thread.  He didn't have another real good class until 2010 and none really since.   

He manages to get most of what he does get and does find a good player in every class somewhere, but most people can do that.

A random draft simulator would have done much better than him.  

He was much better at identifying free agents that could help them and getting most out of them.

GB fans are rightfully pissed Rodgers didn't get drafted as many good WRs as he should have.

But you know what Brady got that was any good (drafted) in two decades?

2002 Deion Branch and Givens (his favorite class)

skip ahead 7 years to Julian Edelman found in 7th in 2009.

That's it for good drafted WRs.    In 20 years!   They drafted 3 good WRs in 20 years.   That is abysmal.

Let's look at Rodgers with GB from 2008 - 2022 and what good WRs they drafted for him.

2008 - Jordy Nelson was very good.

2011 - Randall Cobb was very good for a long time.

2014 - Davante Adams was an all-pro, arguably best 2 or 3 WRs in football at time he left for Raiders.

2022 - TBD

That's still 3 good players in 12 years of drafting against 3 good players for Brady over 20 years of drafting.    It was more spread out so Rodgers usually had at least one real good drafted WR on roster up until the end.

• Like 1

GB fans are rightfully pissed Rodgers didn't get drafted as many good WRs as he should have.

But you know what Brady got that was any good (drafted) in two decades?

2002 Deion Branch and Givens (his favorite class)

skip ahead 7 years to Julian Edelman found in 7th in 2009.

That's it for good drafted WRs.    In 20 years!   They drafted 3 good WRs in 20 years.   That is abysmal.

Let's look at Rodgers with GB from 2008 - 2022 and what good WRs they drafted for him.

2008 - Jordy Nelson was very good.

2011 - Randall Cobb was very good for a long time.

2014 - Davante Adams was an all-pro, arguably best 2 or 3 WRs in football at time he left for Raiders.

2022 - TBD

That's still 3 good players in 12 years of drafting against 3 good players for Brady over 20 years of drafting.    It was more spread out so Rodgers usually had at least one real good drafted WR on roster up until the end.

They also got James Jones in 2007, even though they already had Driver and Jennings. Then in 2015 they got Ty Montgomery in the 3rd and even converted him to RB so he could give Rodgers more weapons on the field at once. 

Rodgers got a TON of talent handed to him, had a good to great OL for most of his career too. But they were stubborn and lackluster on defense thankfully. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Josh McDaniels has to be the worst coach and/or play caller in football. Ryan Clark also made it known before the game that his own players once again hate him, too

Not going for it on 4th and inches while up 4 almost made me root for GB to make him look stupid.

Almost.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

Not going for it on 4th and inches while up 4 almost made me root for GB to make him look stupid.

Almost.

Omg.  Literally you gain 1 yard and you win the game.  What a spineless coach.  If it werent the packers and there weren’t implications for 1.1 then I’d have rooted for them to lose for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Omg.  Literally you gain 1 yard and you win the game.  What a spineless coach.  If it werent the packers and there weren’t implications for 1.1 then I’d have rooted for them to lose for that.

I just don’t understand what happens to this guy when he becomes a head coach…as an OC he is brilliant and I would argue that point with anyone…but it’s like when his title changes he just losing everything that makes him a quality OC…guess he just has his level.

• Like 3