2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

9 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Does Brandon Staley have a job this time tomorrow?  I'll say no.

I’m sure the decision to let him go was finalized last night if it wasn’t already. If there’s nobody to evaluate as a potential HC candidate on their current staff (like LV is doing with Pierce) I’m not sure what there is to gain from firing him now vs. 23 days from now other than for the GM to send a message to the locker room (though I imagine he’s gone EOY too).

Speaking of Pierce, curious for thoughts about how he handled last night’s game. Running a WR pass up 42-0 and passing while up 7 TDs half way through the 4Q is a pretty dickish move and one I’m sure those Chargers players who remain next year will remember. 

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'd rather Harbaugh hand the job to his son as a first time DC than that. 🤮

Agreed. Al and Kirk were talking during last night’s broadcast how they’re 29th in yards allowed and passing defense, and that was before last night’s beatdown. I’m thinking when Staley gets let go he’s gonna have to work his way back up to a coordinator role for a while. 

41 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m sure the decision to let him go was finalized last night if it wasn’t already. If there’s nobody to evaluate as a potential HC candidate on their current staff (like LV is doing with Pierce) I’m not sure what there is to gain from firing him now vs. 23 days from now other than for the GM to send a message to the locker room (though I imagine he’s gone EOY too).

Speaking of Pierce, curious for thoughts about how he handled last night’s game. Running a WR pass up 42-0 and passing while up 7 TDs half way through the 4Q is a pretty dickish move and one I’m sure those Chargers players who remain next year will remember. 

Dude is trying to get a job from a bit of a meathead owner…I have no doubt Mark Davis will have loved that…

Usually I would say save it for a close game but I can see why Piece felt the need.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Dude is trying to get a job from a bit of a meathead owner…I have no doubt Mark Davis will have loved that…

Usually I would say save it for a close game but I can see why Piece felt the need.

I wouldnt be shocked if Davis called down that play (not really but Im sure he said bury them)

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

couldn't care less. raiders are a bad team and he's an interim coach. let him do whatever he wants. yeah maybe those chargers will remember, but you know who else will? the players on his actual team. Raiders have looked much better under pierce than they did mcdaniels, and pierce is surely shooting for the full time job. Why not blow the doors off a division rival and make your owner giggle like a school girl

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Staley out in LA…no shock…

A bit more surprised they fired the GM mid-season though.

Id say the mess in LA is more Telesco's fault than Staley's 

They are clearing the decks to make LA look like the most enticing landing spot for someone who wants all the control

20 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Id say the mess in LA is more Telesco's fault than Staley's 

They are clearing the decks to make LA look like the most enticing landing spot for someone who wants all the control

I agree that the roster building was shocking but given how long he had been there I figured they would hold off to the end of the year…

The more landing spots for Cunmingham the better…I am a big fan of his but those 2 extra 3rd round picks with Poles already having a succession plan in place would be too good to pass up.

John Fox did a masterful job of keeping games respectable with Trubisky at QB.    

Did nothing to develop him and never threatened to actually win the game - but kept scores respectable.

I hate that actually.  I'd rather risk getting blown out and try to win games with bold game plans against better teams.  Sometimes that blows up in your face.   But so be it.

But it is different when it is your livelihood on the line.  I get it.  

• Like 2