#1 Best Off-Season; #1 Worst Off-Season

BetterCallSaul

4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions had a top 12 QB last season and the top 2 QB prospects went top 2 picks. They got the guy they wanted in the third round. Lions got their 1st round EDGE last year and found a gem in round 6. Lions got their first round OT the year before and have a top 3 OL. They drafted an OL in round 5. Why reach for guys they didn’t have graded as high at positions they didn’t “need” just because analysts think the positions are sexier?

Fans always talk about drafting BPA and that’s what the Lions did. They drafted their top graded guys regardless. I think they wanted Witherspoon and once Seattle took him at #5, Gibbs was their guy. Reportedly, if Arizona didn’t move back up, Lions would have taken him at #6, over Bijan. He was their top guy. Like any pick, you hope they hit and have successful careers, but the Lions weren’t summoning the spirit of Matt Millen and throwing darts at the draft wall. They did their homework and took their guys. They had a plan and stuck to it. Let’s see how it works out. 

I like Gibbs & am loving the Lions climb to power. But if they took Gibbs over Bijan, especially in the top 6 picks, it would be the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever seen in the history of the NFL. Legitimately.

Bijan can make bad blocking look amazing because of his vision, contact balance, and insane lateral agility. Gibbs will hit more homerun shots with good blocking in comparison to Bijan. Still, Bijan’s ability to make something out of nothing is probably already the best in the NFL. Gibbs is pretty significantly worse than Bijan in every area aside from long speed. I think Bijan is a better receiver, but that gap isn’t “significant.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Watching him run the 2017 Raiders offense to the ground was frightening. There were other factors that contributed, but man, you can tell Downing was not cut out to run an NFL offense.

Yeah, the Titans have had some truly terrible OCs, but Downing was definitely among the worst.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 1:06 AM, Duluther said:

Houston's off-season can be summed up as a lot of bad process. An organization shouldn't hire a defensive coach as their HC in the current NFL. A first time HC that's a defensive mind being paired with the new rookie QB further exacerbates this. Also, no organization should invest the #12, #33, and a future first (likely to be top ten) in one defensive player. Further exacerbating that is that Anderson wasn't even in the same tier of recent top edge rushers (i.e., Garret, Bosas, Young). Regardless of what happens with Ryans and Anderson, those two process are textbook bad processes.

Isolated from those is the true meat of their offseason salad - selecting Stroud at QB. I won't fault them for that pick and I hope it works out for them; if it does, it saves their offseason. If it doesn't, their deployment of their atypical amount of resources (via the Watson trade) was basically all wasted and Houston will be starting over yet again in a few years' time. 

Lol

On 5/19/2023 at 11:51 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

TEN might be a contender for worst offseason. Unloaded almost all of their talent and haven't done anything to replenish it.

this take has been so common among people who don't watch the team this offseason and it's so weird. i guess from the outside looking in you see all these big names leaving the titans, but almost every single one of them was dead weight who hadn't been contributing in the first place due to injury, underperformance, or both. the two exceptions were ben jones and david long, but as good as long is he could never stay on the field and jones is 34 and missed a bunch of games last year too. 

you could easily argue we had a poor offseason because we failed to address key positions (WR especially) but in terms of losses, we didn't lose much of anything that wasn't already a bad contract.

So going back to this...

Best offseasons:

Houston - Improved drastically at HC, QB, primary pass rusher. Only draw back is that it might take 2-3 years to really see the results, because they still have a lot of holes. Probably a bad team again in 2023, but 2024 and 2025, the record will come up. 

Chicago - really built around Fields and added some pieces to help rebuild their once vaunted defense. Probably a 8-9 team this year with big potential moving forward.

Atlanta - really improved the situation around Ridder to give him all the tools needed to succeed. Improved the defense a ton. Went from $100M in dead cap to just $18M this year and the financial outlook is amazing moving forward. Should be a playoff team in 2023.

Worst offseasons:

Tampa Bay - they are paying the piper for going all in for three seasons with Tom Brady. They won a super bowl, but now they have to get rid of a lot of talented guys. Baker Mayfield is a major downgrade from a guy who even at 57 years old was playing like one of the top Qbs to ever play.

LA Rams - Their defensive depth chart is a bunch of bad dudes who wouldn't start anywhere... and Aaron Donald. Lots of former late round guys and undrafted guys heading up their defense isn't a way to build something. 

NY Jets - Aaron Rodgers coming in is an interesting way to do things. but getting rid of Elijah Moore, a lot of bad process here. If they wanted an aging QB who was past his prime and should be retired, they could have just signed Matt Ryan.

11 minutes ago, scar988 said:

So going back to this...

Best offseasons:

Houston - Improved drastically at HC, QB, primary pass rusher. Only draw back is that it might take 2-3 years to really see the results, because they still have a lot of holes. Probably a bad team again in 2023, but 2024 and 2025, the record will come up. 

Chicago - really built around Fields and added some pieces to help rebuild their once vaunted defense. Probably a 8-9 team this year with big potential moving forward.

Atlanta - really improved the situation around Ridder to give him all the tools needed to succeed. Improved the defense a ton. Went from $100M in dead cap to just $18M this year and the financial outlook is amazing moving forward. Should be a playoff team in 2023.

Worst offseasons:

Tampa Bay - they are paying the piper for going all in for three seasons with Tom Brady. They won a super bowl, but now they have to get rid of a lot of talented guys. Baker Mayfield is a major downgrade from a guy who even at 57 years old was playing like one of the top Qbs to ever play.

LA Rams - Their defensive depth chart is a bunch of bad dudes who wouldn't start anywhere... and Aaron Donald. Lots of former late round guys and undrafted guys heading up their defense isn't a way to build something. 

NY Jets - Aaron Rodgers coming in is an interesting way to do things. but getting rid of Elijah Moore, a lot of bad process here. If they wanted an aging QB who was past his prime and should be retired, they could have just signed Matt Ryan.

Comparing Rodgers to Ryan... lol

Rodgers was MVP in 2021. Is he prime Rodgers? No. But he's still way better than most QBs.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

If they wanted an aging QB who was past his prime and should be retired, they could have just signed Matt Ryan

Wtf is this? I don’t often agree with you, but I didn’t think you made posts for shock value either. Guess I was wrong, because this is either a “react to me” post or there’s something wrong with your brain. I hope it’s the former, but you may want to consult s doctor if you can’t tell the difference between Matt Ryan & Aaron Rodgers. 

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Wtf is this? I don’t often agree with you, but I didn’t think you made posts for shock value either. Guess I was wrong, because this is either a “react to me” post or there’s something wrong with your brain. I hope it’s the former, but you may want to consult s doctor if you can’t tell the difference between Matt Ryan & Aaron Rodgers. 

No it's more of a resources thing. Ryan would have been cheaper. And I think Rodgers is falling off this year. Much like how Favre had an awful year in NYJ. I'm projecting Rodgers to have a similar year.

15 hours ago, scar988 said:

giphy.gif 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, scar988 said:

No it's more of a resources thing. Ryan would have been cheaper. And I think Rodgers is falling off this year. Much like how Favre had an awful year in NYJ. I'm projecting Rodgers to have a similar year.

I'm not stoked on Rodgers to NYJ either but this is an awful comparison.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Favre did not want to play with the jets at this time too