#1 Best Off-Season; #1 Worst Off-Season

BetterCallSaul

We won't be #1 on many fans lists.

But if you compare where we were week 17 vs where we are now it's chalk and cheese.

Fire Lovie Smith and his entire coaching staff

Hired the most in demand HC in DeMeco Ryans

Upgraded at QB (Stroud, Keenum), TE (Schultz), WR (Wood, Metchie, Dell, Richardson), IOL (Mason, Scruggs, Patterson), DT (Rankins, Ridgeway), EDGE (Anderson), LB (Littleton, Perryman, To'o To'o), S (Ward), RB (Singletary), FB (Beck).

We could win 5 games next year and it still be 1,000x more impressive than last year.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, UKTexans said:

But if you compare where we were week 17 vs where we are now it's chalk and cheese.

Upgraded at QB (Stroud, Keenum), TE (Schultz), WR (Wood, Metchie, Dell, Richardson), IOL (Mason, Scruggs, Patterson), DT (Rankins, Ridgeway), EDGE (Anderson), LB (Littleton, Perryman, To'o To'o), S (Ward), RB (Singletary), FB (Beck).

We could win 5 games next year and it still be 1,000x more impressive than last year.

Houston's off-season can be summed up as a lot of bad process. An organization shouldn't hire a defensive coach as their HC in the current NFL. A first time HC that's a defensive mind being paired with the new rookie QB further exacerbates this. Also, no organization should invest the #12, #33, and a future first (likely to be top ten) in one defensive player. Further exacerbating that is that Anderson wasn't even in the same tier of recent top edge rushers (i.e., Garret, Bosas, Young). Regardless of what happens with Ryans and Anderson, those two process are textbook bad processes.

Isolated from those is the true meat of their offseason salad - selecting Stroud at QB. I won't fault them for that pick and I hope it works out for them; if it does, it saves their offseason. If it doesn't, their deployment of their atypical amount of resources (via the Watson trade) was basically all wasted and Houston will be starting over yet again in a few years' time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UKTexans said:

Thank you Lovie Smith 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UKTexans said:

1st off i had to google chalk and cheese…

2nd i agree you got alot better, it might not be a major change in terms of wins but the foundation is finally there

Depends on how Rodgers does, but I’d pick the Jets as having the best offseason and Tampa Bay having the worst. 

Tampa Bay added good players, but the Saints upgraded massively. Carolina could turn it around very quickly depending on Bryce. Saints should win the division.

Edited by candyman93

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Depends on how Rodgers does, but I’d pick the Jets as having the best offseason and Tampa Bay having the worst. 

Tampa Bay added good players, but the Saints upgraded massively. Carolina could turn it around very quickly depending on Bryce. Saints should win the division.

Eh, feels like the Saints locked themselves into purgatory for the foreseeable future by deploying Carr in that bad division. They will probably win the division and lock themselves into a very bad draft position relative to their divisional opponents. Long-term, Panthers and even Falcons have more of a path upwards.

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Saints lost 4 defensive starters and their DC. They brought in a mediocre QB that doesn’t upgrade the position but locks in a lot of cap space. I don’t think they did a good job at all. 

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Explain

You're basically praying they stink bad enough to get a QB next year 

Not at all. Massively upgraded the defense with key moves. Added important roles in the draft with an offensive weapon and a starting LG. Have a real plan for the future. Regardless on if you like Ridder or not, the coaches and GM love him and he has shown flashes early on. He also fits what they want in the offense. I think he’ll end up being better than anyone here seems to think he will. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scar988 said:

Saints lost 4 defensive starters and their DC. They brought in a mediocre QB that doesn’t upgrade the position but locks in a lot of cap space. I don’t think they did a good job at all. 

Not at all. Massively upgraded the defense with key moves. Added important roles in the draft with an offensive weapon and a starting LG. Have a real plan for the future. Regardless on if you like Ridder or not, the coaches and GM love him and he has shown flashes early on. He also fits what they want in the offense. I think he’ll end up being better than anyone here seems to think he will. 

If Derek Carr is mediocre what does that make Desmond Ridder?

• Like 7

I don't know if I can say it was the best, but I do feel the Bears hit a home run this offseason. Improved every grouping on the OL (OT, OG, and C), got a true #1 WR, improved depth at TE, RB room looks to be slightly upgraded, DL is miles better (not saying much though honestly), as is the LB corps (even pre-Roquan trade) and CB group at least looks like a solid #2 is available opposite Johnson (and Gordon now has a year under his belt at NB, he did play better late). All great things, but the EDGE rushing group is still weak AF. At this time Dexter might actually be the best option at DE if you want the best 4 on the field to start. A base of Dexter and Walker on the outside with Billings and Jones or Pickens would be the best group to field right now IMO, but you have little speed with that DL. Should be hellish vs the run though.  

Back on track though. The biggest thing to me is this allows Poles to see if Fields is the guy or not. Nagy was incompetent his entire tenure here basically, and last year Poles was aiming for a top 5 pick. Later in the season when the Bears scored early they got SUPER conservative and were in tank mode. So now Poles needs to see if Fields is a guy he is going to try to really build around and look to give a megadeal or if he is going to unload him and move on to a rookie. Now there is plenty of draft capital to try and move up for the next prospect from the CAR trade, and if Fields plays poorly that just means the Bears' own picks will add to their draft capital. The Bears offense needs to show marked improvement or Fields and Getsy are likely goners IMO.

So I think this off-season (and last really) should set the Bears up for success long-term rather than the short-term, and that is something I'm damn happy with.

I feel like the Eagles, despite already being probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NFL, have had one of the best offseasons especially with the draft. 

TEN might be a contender for worst offseason. Unloaded almost all of their talent and haven't done anything to replenish it.

I like to use every platform and opportunity to attack the packers when I can and as much as I want to put them at worst even though it’s off base, they didn’t have a terrible draft. I do think packer faithful are far overvaluing the picks they made but that’s par for the course for them: thinking things are better than they are and also not appreciating the actually good things. 

I clicked this thread wanting to pick a random team with a good offseason. The broncos did a lot of work. The Seahawks had a great time at the draft. But the bears compared to what they were in week 17 to now, it’s hard to bet against it. We addressed so many holes. The pass rush is still worrisome, as are a few OL spots like LG when Teven inevitably goes down. 

Worst? Maybe the dolphins? Getting Ramsey could work out for them, they didn’t take on too much risk in the trade. But it was really their only move. No draft capital. No huge acquisitions otherwise. What is Mike White? I think they’re competitive regardless, but aren’t legitimate contenders with Tua and I’d argue that even if he wasn’t concussed to retirement home levels. Achane could be interesting for their and fits their longtime interest in speed backs. 

• Like 1