Who's The Greatest Player of All Time?

mdonnelly21

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the a greatest player of all time?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Joe Montana
    • Don Hutson
    • Jim Brown
    • Otto Graham
    • Lawrence Taylor
    • Reggie White
    • Barry Sanders
    • Walter Payton

On 12/3/2017 at 5:25 PM, Jetzger said:

Reggie White imo.

I have him as the #2 DE in Bruce Smith who put up insane numbers as a DE in a 3-4.

As for this topic. It’s Tom Brady who may be the goat in all of sports at this point. 

On 1/1/2018 at 6:54 PM, Pats#1 said:

You said without Belichick, Brady is just another good QB....it's a ridiculous statement.

Would he have as many rings, probably not....would he only be considered "another good QB", absolutely not. The guy is at/near the top for almost every passing statistic. To brush of his current ranking of the greatest of all time, to simply, "another good QB", is you suggesting that rings are the only thing that propels Brady to the pedestal that he is sitting on now, which again, is wrong.

So please explain how without Belichick, Tom Brady would be considered, "just another good QB", like many before him.

We will never know. Brady was not viewed as a hot prospect in the draft. In a different situation where Bledsoe doesn’t get hurt Brady may have never gotten a chance. Also early in his career I remember there being concerns about Brady’s maturity and Belichick had to reign him in. Who knows what Brady would have been without Belichick. The two together have been the greatest dynasty in the sport but There is no way to know if either would have found success without the other. 

On 21/01/2019 at 9:34 AM, Wolverine_Joe said:

in this era, it's always been 1a/1b until ronaldo distanced himself from messi.     it's alot like brady/manning situation.  

and Messi isn't considered the GOAT. pele, og ronaldo, maradona, cristiano ronaldo is ahead of him.  If Messi won  a world cup or two?  now that debate makes sense.   it's not fair, but that's how it is in soccer. it's always been the world cup or bust.  that's why argentinians will never put messi ahead of maradona.  

and unlike any soccer player maybe except pele, brady has been crowned as undoubtly the GOAT of his sports.   no soccer player will ever come close to brady simply because there are so many leagues so many great players in the soccer and there simply will never be a consensus GOAT unlike NFL. 

What are you on about? 

Messi is considered the GOAT much more so than CR7. Most soccer fans consider Messi better than CR7.

And a very small minority call Brady the greatest FOOTBALL PLAYER, not QB, off all time. The majority call Jerry Rice that. Brady hasn’t been crowned squat 

15 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

What are you on about? 

Messi is considered the GOAT much more so than CR7. Most soccer fans consider Messi better than CR7.

And a very small minority call Brady the greatest FOOTBALL PLAYER, not QB, off all time. The majority call Jerry Rice that. Brady hasn’t been crowned squat 

If there was an NFL draft tomorrow with rookie Rice and rookie Brady, knowing what we know now about them, how many teams would take Rice over Brady? Probably only the Lions and Browns because their front office sucks. Rice is GOAT WR, Sanders GOAT RB - but I would take literally a dozen QBs over them in an all-time draft. To me, it seems a little disingenuous to crown someone the GOAT but at the same time say there are a dozen other players I would rather have to start a team.

8 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:

If there was an NFL draft tomorrow with rookie Rice and rookie Brady, knowing what we know now about them, how many teams would take Rice over Brady? Probably only the Lions and Browns because their front office sucks. Rice is GOAT WR, Sanders GOAT RB - but I would take literally a dozen QBs over them in an all-time draft. To me, it seems a little disingenuous to crown someone the GOAT but at the same time say there are a dozen other players I would rather have to start a team.

This is not a draft, its more like a big board.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:18 PM, Kip Smithers said:

What are you on about? 

interesting take.  

media has crowned brady as the football GOAT after 28-3.   remember how jordan became the GOAT?  media pushed it hard around 1996 ish and then placed him at the top permanently after 2nd peat.   

Brady cemented himself as the football GOAT with 28-3 IMO.   and yes there's a debate.  there will always be a debate.  there's enough people who believes kareem abdul-jabbar is GOAT 1B to Jordan.  

But brady is in the discussion for sure, and many media personality believes it's no longer a debate.  

previously no other football player was never in the GOAT ATHLETE discussion.  was jerry rice the GOAT?  sure.  i think he was. maybe LT?  but those guys were never in the Jordan discussion.  

but hey look. brady is in the Jordan discussion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutddcY-6nk

and imagine brady wins another ring.  imagine if brady plays well for another 2-3 years.  guess what would happen?

anyway regarding ronaldo vs. messi -   regardless of what you believe, i believe soccer GOAT is too hard to decide and open for debate.  ask any argentinians who's the GOAT. most will tell you maradona.  ask any brazillians who's the GOAT.  it's pele and then their own ronaldo.  in spanish league messi is probably favored over cr7.  but globally i'm sure it's still the most heated debate.  it's brady vs. manning at its peak.   so honestly there's no right or wrong answer.  

10 hours ago, Wolverine_Joe said:

Brady cemented himself as the football GOAT with 28-3 IMO.

I don't get this. You can't cement yourself as GOAT with a performance where you throw a pick 6 and are only in a winning position thanks to your defense. Not saying there isn't an argument for GOAT, but the ATL SB isn't the game to champion.

To contribute, for me it's Rice. He's got the stats for the boxscore readers, he's got rings for all those who boast championships, and he's got a legacy that's unlikely to ever be out done - even in today's game that heavily favors passers and receivers letting them put up crazy bulk stats with ease. We've literally made it easier for receivers to be better than Jerry Rice and they still can't.

Again, amongst the media and fans Brady mostly gets the title of best QB ever. Not greatest player ever. That’s has typically gone to Jerry Rice. Even with Joe Montana’s “4-0” in SBs, Rice was still voted the greatest ever.

being the QB GOAT does not make the Greatest player of all time. 

So subjective.

With the Wheaton Iceman, Red Grange, post WW I, U of Illinois, Halas built a sports empire to rival baseball. In his prime Grange earned $1 million per year and rivaled Ruth for sports supremacy.

Sid Luckman was recruited by Halas to play QB out of Columbia U, 1938. He was handed the playbook for the T formation man in motion. A complex, Harlem Globetrotter style fast break, deception based system. Clark Shaughnessy coach at U of Chicago, once admitted, after being bullied by Amos Alonzo Stagg, that he got the ideas from a book in the library about the blitzkrieg. Luckman recalled have to remember 300 fragments of info and having several seconds to process and respond. The second Halas dynasty.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:25 PM, sn0mm1s said:

For me this logic changes the whole conversation.  QBs are inherently more valuable than other positions.  Because of this there are 10+ That would be taken over rice, does that mean they were better than him?  The fact that the poll includes positions other than QBs leads me to believe the question is about who was best, not most valuable.  Rice separates himself more than anyone else, especially when you consider era.

The draft conversation makes no sense. If you're doing an all-time draft with 32 teams then all 32 of those teams are going to pick a QB first. I'm sure most people would pick Troy Aikman over Jerry Rice even though there's an ocean size gap in terms of greatness.

Archived