bucksavage1

Raiders 2023 QB if Jimmy G is cut  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders QB for 2023

• Sign Veteran FA
    • Bring QB out of Retirement
    • Trade for a Backup
    • Start Hoyer/O’Connell/Garbers

This could all be a moot point. Jimmy G could be healthy going into the season.

In case he isn’t and they cut him, what are our choices:

So if Jimmy G is cut…what are our options for 2023

1) Sign a FA:

Wentz, Bridgewater, Chase Daniel

2) Bring a QB out of Retirement: 

A) Get permission from Colts on an Andrew Luck comeback. Renfrow and 3rd and 5th should get it done.

B) Philip Rivers

C) Tom Brady

D) Ben Rothlisberger

3) Trade for a Backup

A) Bailey Zappe

B) Jacoby Brissett

C) Trey Lance

D) Zach Wilson

E) Tyler Huntley

F) Josh Dobbs

G) Davis Mills

4) Start Hoyer , O’Connell or Garbers

Voted O’Connell/Garbers/Hoyer.

None of the options are particularly palatable to me. We’re not good enough to be a serious playoff contender so I don’t want to expend draft capital to trade for a guy who’s not good enough to really move the needle. I’d only trade for a guy if he could make us a contender.

None of the retired guys is a good option I don’t think. Maybe if we had a great team and were just a QB away.

Those free agents are probably not significantly better than the three Amigos we’ve already got. 

Silver lining is we should get a very, very high pick to look at a QBoTF.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

100% start O'connell. See what you have. Likely a good backup who nets you a top 5 pick.

Yeah… I’d start O’Connell.  Hoyer ain’t going to bring many more wins then him and to be honest we’re better off losing and getting the highest pick we can.  I’d hate to go thru all that and end up picking 3rd in a draft we’re QBs go 1 and 2 and their isn’t another QB worth taking   In the top 5-10.

as for brining someone out of retirement…. Why the heck would any of them even entertain the idea?  None of them would want anything to do with us.  I don’t see it as a option that’s worth discussing.

I wouldn’t trade for a QB because none of them are long term answers and I’d rather not give up draft capital.  None of them are going to “save the day”.  To be honest we’re not even a playoff contender with Jimmy G so there’s not much to save anyways.

Basically, if Jimmy G’s contract gets voided it’s the end of JMD and Zeigler, even though I hope we keep Zeigler - despite his faults and the current Jimmy G thing is an absolutely ridiculous circumstance to put the franchise in - I like him and think he could turn things around without JMD.  We honestly should fire them the second after Jimmy G gets cut…. Like jimmy G should be holding the door open for them as they all leave.

Honestly, how could our leadership put the team in this predicament?  It’s absolutely absurd.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I literally had a nice picture perfect breakfast on the lake with the ole lady and come home to this crap

I’m sorry your otherwise beautiful morning was ruined.

What do you think the chances are that Jimmy G doesn’t pass this physical by week 1.  Does anyone think this situation isn’t as dire as we are thinking it is?  I’m just trying to be rational here.  Cuz right now it’s literally hard to believe the FO could make take such a risk.  I’m kind of just waiting for the “come down off the ledge” explanation for all of this.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah… I’d start O’Connell.  Hoyer ain’t going to bring many more wins then him and to be honest we’re better off losing and getting the highest pick we can.  I’d hate to go thru all that and end up picking 3rd in a draft we’re QBs go 1 and 2 and their isn’t another QB worth taking   In the top 5-10.

as for brining someone out of retirement…. Why the heck would any of them even entertain the idea?  None of them would want anything to do with us.  I don’t see it as a option that’s worth discussing.

I wouldn’t trade for a QB because none of them are long term answers and I’d rather not give up draft capital.  None of them are going to “save the day”.  To be honest we’re not even a playoff contender with Jimmy G so there’s not much to save anyways.

Basically, if Jimmy G’s contract gets voided it’s the end of JMD and Zeigler, even though I hope we keep Zeigler - despite his faults and the current Jimmy G thing is an absolutely ridiculous circumstance to put the franchise in - I like him and think he could turn things around without JMD.  We honestly should fire them the second after Jimmy G gets cut…. Like jimmy G should be holding the door open for them as they all leave.

Honestly, how could our leadership put the team in this predicament?  It’s absolutely absurd.

You bash him, but I wish we drafted Haener..

15 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

What do you think the chances are that Jimmy G doesn’t pass this physical by week 1.  Does anyone think this situation isn’t as dire as we are thinking it is?  I’m just trying to be rational here.  Cuz right now it’s literally hard to believe the FO could make take such a risk.  I’m kind of just waiting for the “come down off the ledge” explanation for all of this.

Why would they have a waiver clause if that was not a real possibility?

Then you have to take a new account that they signed 4 players last off-season to big contracts to which only two are still on the team and only one is a guaranteed starter. They've done stupid things before(despite any justification, that may come after this post)

Edited by Jeremy408

25 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I literally had a nice picture perfect breakfast on the lake with the ole lady and come home to this crap

Remember: we agreed to terms with him the first day of the tampering period(3 days before free agency officially started) which means we were practically breaking our necks to sign him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s so injury prone he prolly hurt something else tryna overcompensate for the bad foot. I’m not expecting him to be ready I saw someone posted a potential 12 week recovery timeline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Remember: we agreed to terms with him the first day of the tampering period(3 days before free agency officially started) which means we were practically breaking our necks to sign him

Jmd needed some yes men desperately don’t really seeing any other players *really* co-sign the way the ex pats do 

• Like 1