2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

I agree with a lot of this but it’s also the reason we should be able to admit that Tru hasn’t looked great. He hasn’t. Sorry. I think we have to run because what else are we gonna do?  We have a QB who’s talented but as we can all admit isn’t experienced and the pass protection/catchers aren’t great either. If we ran a typical offense I wouldn’t bet my money we’d be better. 

What I was saying was we should play to our strengths. Howard/Cohen and the play action. Just get a lot better at it. We can ride our running game and our D can get there. 

Ok are you John Fox?  Thats what they tried to do this year.  You cant do that in todays nfl its not sustainable success.  And no i cant qualify as great today, i can qualify him as showing tremendous growth and progression and outpacing any reasonable expectations anyone has had. 

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

I agree with a lot of this but it’s also the reason we should be able to admit that Tru hasn’t looked great. He hasn’t. Sorry. I think we have to run because what else are we gonna do?  We have a QB who’s talented but as we can all admit isn’t experienced and the pass protection/catchers aren’t great either. If we ran a typical offense I wouldn’t bet my money we’d be better. 

What I was saying was we should play to our strengths. Howard/Cohen and the play action. Just get a lot better at it. We can ride our running game and our D can get there. 

I agree he hasn't looked great entirely, but has a number of great moments/stretches. That was expected by me especially with both Meredith and Miller out, though admittedly I hoped Loggains would know how to use his few weapons at his disposal (having Howard in as a passing back for 3rd downs but Cohen on the sideline? Shaheen behind Sims? WTH).

My issue is we HAVE been riding our strengths. We have the 27 rushes per game, only 6 behind the leader in the Jags. We have the 11th most yards per game in the NFL. That would be even higher if we weren't constantly in 3rd and longs that are low percentage conversions for any team. Our defense has been better than one would expect with the injuries, being top 10 in PPG and YPG. But even with that all together, we are a 5-10 team. Being too conservative killed us in a few games IMO. Losing to SF when Trubisky was 12 of 15 was ridiculous. Tru carried our offense vs CIN, he carried us vs  GB as our run game was shut down besides  one 25 yard run, etc.We ran a traditional offense vs CIN and it worked great. For one time we were keeping the defense off balance instead of running a 1960s offense.

Either way, there is one more game and then the offense will be overhauled. No new HC wants to abuse their young QB with a lack of weapons, and the offense will be tailored to the new staff.

I hope someone asks pace at his upcoming press conference if he will re-evaluate his FA approach. This year's FA crop was absolute trash overall. He has to spend a little cash. He may need to dole out a few player favorable deals to maximize our rookie window with Mitch. What FA WANTS to come to a bad team at a discounted rate? 

1 hour ago, Blaize4488 said:

I hope someone asks pace at his upcoming press conference if he will re-evaluate his FA approach. This year's FA crop was absolute trash overall. He has to spend a little cash. He may need to dole out a few player favorable deals to maximize our rookie window with Mitch. What FA WANTS to come to a bad team at a discounted rate? 

He doesnt want to build his team thru fa he wants to draft well and accentuate his core thru fa. Yes this year wasnt great mostly bc of Glennon, but that doesnt mean his approach isnt valid.

15 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He doesnt want to build his team thru fa he wants to draft well and accentuate his core thru fa. Yes this year wasnt great mostly bc of Glennon, but that doesnt mean his approach isnt valid.

Exactly. He took a few swings and missed, but it was a safe set of deals. Prince played well, but we didn't get another Hicks or Freeman. It was a weaker FA class but served his purpose. He didn't tie himself to anyone though with a long term deal. THAT is what would have made the class trash. 

I'd be okay with trading two two's for OBJ. Maybe a first if we can get the Giants 2 or 3 with it because a proven top 10 player for a top ten pick is okay if we were going to use the pick on a wr anyway. But that would only happen if the Giants are firebombing their roster and I doubt they would even consider it considered he's a major merch seller 

44 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Didn't I hear no one wanted to even sign with Chicago even though we offered to some players? Something to do with some new law in Illinois that f***s players over somehow. Probably wrong 

I guess my thing is the lack of playmakers he has added. Hicks has been great. Trevathan has been good, when healthy. Sitton has been good, when healthy. Same with Freeman. But where are the guys who take the ball away? The guys who protect the QB? Guys who make a difference in the passing game? We haven't even built depth at those spots through FA. Would have loved Bouye last year who has balled out. Marvin Jones would have been excellent the year before. Ricky Wagner would have been an upgrade over Massie, imo. Janoris Jenkins would have been a great piece. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think pace has been below average in terms of supplementing in FA.

You bring up some good points Blaze. But in Pace's defense how many playmakers are you going to sell to come to a team in rebuild mode with Cutler or Glennon as their offensive field general. This year, with Trubisky will be a much easier sell. The pressure is completely on Pace's shoulders. First he will pick HIS HC. Then work with him to obtain the type of offensive players the HC scheme will need plus probably a CB and edge rusher. This offseason will be very busy.

4 hours ago, RTD said:

You bring up some good points Blaze. But in Pace's defense how many playmakers are you going to sell to come to a team in rebuild mode with Cutler or Glennon as their offensive field general. This year, with Trubisky will be a much easier sell. The pressure is completely on Pace's shoulders. First he will pick HIS HC. Then work with him to obtain the type of offensive players the HC scheme will need plus probably a CB and edge rusher. This offseason will be very busy.

Or to play under Fox and Loggains.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 56s57 seconds ago

#AZCardinals QB Drew Stanton, a top backup QB for free agency, is a tough dude. He has been playing with no ACL for YEARS. He had just a thread, now has none. No surgery planned. Once he got over a bone bruise, he just played on. Stanton knows how to manage it.

Love Stanton as a backup to Trubisky.

Pace really needs to tag Kyle Fuller. The bears certainly can afford it and it would allow them to see if Fuller is more than a 1 year wonder. Can't make the same mistake they did with Alshon and create a hole that could have been avoided. 

26 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

Pace really needs to tag Kyle Fuller. The bears certainly can afford it and it would allow them to see if Fuller is more than a 1 year wonder. Can't make the same mistake they did with Alshon and create a hole that could have been avoided. 

Can we give Fuller a 1st round tender?  

Alshon wasnt a mistake by us. He was gone. 

33 minutes ago, Bearsfancro said:

Kyle Fuller is planning to speak soon with his family and agent about free agency. Said he’s happy in Chicago and would be open to re-joining the Bears

Hopefully he is sincere because Alshon said he like Chicago also but he showed that was just lip service. (That one is for you @Tyty)

Archived