2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

54 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

If anything, this trade between LA and MIA shows what landry might go for. Quinn and a 6 for a 4 and a 6. would anyone not trade one of our 4s and a 6 for landry and a 6?

It shows that Rams are desperate to shed a large salary to help keep some players they value more highly than Quinn. It also shows that the Dolphins will be moving on from the ludicrous Suh deal very soon, and feel they need more pass rushers...

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

SF, Ten and Car all reported as not involved in the discussions.

Seems like the market is smaller or maybe his demands drive teams away.

4th and swap 6ths is a done deal in my world. Recouping the 4th is easy.

The Quinn trade happening now IMO means one of two things - either they know they’re rescinding the Landry tag, or they already have him traded provided the other team can work out an extension. I just don’t think Landry is trade away a draft asset to massively overpay him levels of good. He just isn’t. He’s a good slot receiver which has value but is the most replaceable WR position. The level of our WR need doesn’t change what he is. Hell we already have an effective slot WR on the roster. Albert Wilson is a good slot receiver too with more speed and big play ability, is a shoe in to come here in 2 weeks per his own GM and will cost 40% as much. Crappy teams stay crappy teams by giving the wrong guys huge money. I’m tired of the Bears being a crappy team. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Quinn trade happening now IMO means one of two things - either they know they’re rescinding the Landry tag, or they already have him traded provided the other team can work out an extension. I just don’t think Landry is trade away a draft asset to massively overpay him levels of good. He just isn’t. He’s a good slot receiver which has value but is the most replaceable WR position. The level of our WR need doesn’t change what he is. Hell we already have an effective slot WR on the roster. Albert Wilson is a good slot receiver too with more speed and big play ability, is a shoe in to come here in 2 weeks per his own GM and will cost 40% as much. Crappy teams stay crappy teams by giving the wrong guys huge money. I’m tired of the Bears being a crappy team. 

You are assuming that Landry is the wrong guy.

One piece away for me applies to anyone who won’t directly assist the development of Mitch Trubisky. The Bears should explore every avenue, trades included, to ensure his success.

Wright is a replacement level player and his contract and next contract will prove it.

Wilson would be a great fall back plan and it is nice to know the safety net exists. But he is the 4th/5th option that defense have to take away. We don’t know what he will do when he is the 2nd. We don’t know if teams will ever fear him enough to double team him.

I am not sure why slot WR is any more replaceable than another spot? You can find bad replacements for guys in any position.

If the concern if budgetary about paying Landry 2-3 million more than you think he is worth, then everyone should be more up in arms over Glennon and company from last season.

Over pay Landry 2/season over 4 years and you waste 8 million. That is nothing in comparison to 

Glennon-18.5

Demps-5

Wheaton-5.5

Cooper-8

The cap is not a static single year thing. The cap is fluid year to year. Those contracts do have an effect on this years cap as we could have 45 million more to spend.

I am not sure how you can be mad about “wasting money” on Landry, with the incredible amount of waste last season. Even if you say FA is a 50/50 That is 22 million wasted.

Landry will also not go Mike Glennon on us. He might only give us 11 million worth of production for 14 million but he won’t give us a 0 like Glennon, Wheaton and Cooper.

Although Nagy did say he values football players at the WR position, and that's what Landry is... still, I didn't like him as a FA and I like him less now that it may cost us draft currency.

34 minutes ago, G08 said:

His average depth of route last season per reception was 3.5 yards.

10.5 feet.

NO!

Do you really think he can’t run more than 10’?

Or do you think that had to do with Cutler?

He doesn’t call the plays and he doesn’t throw the ball.

13 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

To me why pay the huge cost in money and picks when you can get Albert wilson to play the slot 

Because Albert Wilson is not as good and we have no financial concerns.

Why sign Allen’s Robinson when you can get Marquise Lee for half the cost?

The picks is a fair argument.

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

Although Nagy did say he values football players at the WR position, and that's what Landry is... still, I didn't like him as a FA and I like him less now that it may cost us draft currency.

Depends on the pick.

Picks are valuable, but they can be replaced and if the alternative is signing another Eddie Royal or Markus Wheaton I would prefer to flip a pick,

Archived