Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Cushenberry is still a surprise here, he never seems to get anything other than average reviews. Kinda feels more like he just adds to the chemistry of the OL than he does to the talent level. Was just as surprised as Wattenberg made the team, know he's got IOL versatility but he's always seemed like an old-regime JAG to me. 

Another thing that seems to implicate a move is coming is we only kept FOUR WRs, one being an injured Jerry Jeudy. Don't know if Dulcich is gonna "joker" his way into filling in while JJ recovers but I could see another WR being added regardless. *edit* Courtesy of Broncofan, looks like Phillip Dorsett coming in to help out.

On the defensive side, I was surprised to see Incoom make it over Patrick, who was one of our ST aces.  Definitely was thinking Incoom would make the PS, guess they didn't want him poached

Also, both S/CB have 6 players, probably 1-2 more than I though but KW will go on recallable IR with Moreau replacing him, but  they must've seen more in DT-Y than I did

In the last game Wattenburg was at RG a lot. Forsyth played the entire game at center and Bailey saw lots of action at LG. I noticed Bailey didn't make the 53. We're really thin on the IOL but kept all 3 listed centers. 

I hope Bailey makes the PS. I was a bit surprsed we didn't grab anyone off the wire but I guess Strief likes what he has. 

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

In the last game Wattenburg was at RG a lot. Forsyth played the entire game at center and Bailey saw lots of action at LG. I noticed Bailey didn't make the 53. We're really thin on the IOL but kept all 3 listed centers. 

I hope Bailey makes the PS. I was a bit surprsed we didn't grab anyone off the wire but I guess Strief likes what he has. 

What are you seeking in Cush?  I am still dumbfounded that he just keeps rolling as the starting center.  Is he actually a quality center and nobody else but the coaches see it? 

53 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What are you seeking in Cush?  I am still dumbfounded that he just keeps rolling as the starting center.  Is he actually a quality center and nobody else but the coaches see it? 

From what I've read and seen from people who know far more than me, he's still not really progressing that well. However, the quality of our O-Line has looked so bad that he's actually one of the more reliable ones (which says a lot)

I'm with everyone else - the OL situation is so scary. It's overtaken DL in my mind as the area of most concern.

We've still got the same problem Center, our high priced LG was a disaster in pre-season, our high priced RT has barely practiced, and Bolles didn't show anything in preseason to show he's over the bone-headed stuff that has plagued him for most of his career.

Run, run, run. Get ready for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

It would be a bold move Cotton, but Javonte and Juedy for Jonathan Taylor and Ryan Kelly would be a fun transaction. 

Kelly had an awful year last year, was already declining the year before(his Pro Bowl selection in 2021 showing again how meaningless that award is nowadays), and he's now entering his age-31 year.   It wouldn't be bold, it would be downright awful. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'm with everyone else - the OL situation is so scary. It's overtaken DL in my mind as the area of most concern.

We've still got the same problem Center, our high priced LG was a disaster in pre-season, our high priced RT has barely practiced, and Bolles didn't show anything in preseason to show he's over the bone-headed stuff that has plagued him for most of his career.

Run, run, run. Get ready for it.

This'll sound weird but after watching highlights last week I feel much better about our OL. Not this year so much and especially not in the early games, but the future's different. 

Strief isn't putting square pegs in round holes. Our backups have been dominant, I like Bailey at LG and Forsyth at center. Using Wattenburg at RG is far better than the LG spot. Also, the line calls and protections looked far better with more attention paid to inside penetration. 

Strief's growing on me a lot. We may have gotten a real gem there but only time will tell. I'm not expecting much this year at all from the Bronco's but I like the direction going forward. After two years of one disaster after another I'll take it.

6 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

His flaw that drives me nuts is he seems to lack on field awareness, something a center has to have. He's not technically that bad, he's just often where he shouldn't be.