Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

Separately, what do yall read into Dulcic not playing a single snap in this game? He's a first for us? Hasn't really been the narrative for the week which makes me wonder what little tricks Sean has up his sleeve...call me optimistic but I'm super hyped to see how we attack this season. Seems like the clearest game plan that I've seen from our team since the superbowl (get sneaky yards where u can and grind it out)

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Separately, what do yall read into Dulcic not playing a single snap in this game? He's a first for us? Hasn't really been the narrative for the week which makes me wonder what little tricks Sean has up his sleeve...call me optimistic but I'm super hyped to see how we attack this season. Seems like the clearest game plan that I've seen from our team since the superbowl (get sneaky yards where u can and grind it out)

Seans offense reminds me alot of the Chargers, Fouts, Winslow, JJ, etc. He uses a ton of Coryells downfield philosophies. It can really be fun with a smart QB. It's also a dream for an athletic TE. Ours should love it.

The downfield element is what's so fun. Lot's of mid-deep routes and somehow he schemes them wide open. Outlet passes seem more like 10-15 yards.

Anyway, it'll be fun watching it develop. 

• Like 1

Albert O and Nik Bonitto being the stars of camp and preseason - probably the last thing I thought I'd be typing at the end of August.

Enjoyed the game. Some tough back end roster decisions which is always good. McGlaughlin playing Gunner is a indicator he's made it. Kid played a lottttt of snaps yesterday. 

Couple other less obvious observations - I saw some really impressive snaps out of Jordan Jackson. Some serious power and length. Would love to see him get a PS spot.

Seriously impressed with how early we got lined up all preseason. Usually, with guys who've not been here long, it's hard to get the calls in. We were consistently lined up and good to go with 10+ seconds left on the playclock. That's a good sign.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

All the starters rested.   Presumable both Trautman (inline) and Dulcic (move) are our 12 formation starters.

Given his improvements in blocking, you have to wonder if Albert O will see the field more in 12 formation when they want to pass.  I know Payton is familiar with Trautman, but obv Albert O is a more dangerous pass catching weapon.   It was his total inability to block (and also fact he is a bigger mismatch against LB's or slow safeties, and not against the league-average or better safeties foot-speed wise) that really kept him on the sidelines....but also on the coaching staff last year, who really underestimated the potential he brought to the position.   

It was pretty telling that Rosburg's first statements on players stated he didn't quite understand why Albert O was buried in the depth chart for the TE's receving-wise (yes, horrible blocking last year, but still as a move TE, clear #2 after Dulcic).   Pretty clear dig at Hackett & OC/TE coaches.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

It's always pretty hard to take a lot from the last preseason game but considering the 60 minute dominance in all phases there are a few good things. Basically, I feel a lot better about our depth and coaching. Both huge unknowns coming into the season.

Our young guys really excelled and that's great news for the future. 

So Hinton got released.   I hope it’s because they want to keep Brandon Johnson (pretty safe assumption) and Lil’Jordan Humphrey and not Marques Calloway.   Besides the good showing yesterday Humphrey offers ST experience.    

A stash on PS wouldn’t surprise me with Hinton.  If not I hope he latches on with another org even if it’s PS.   IIRC he’s got 2 years of service time but needs 3 to qualify for pension and 10+ years of medical post-career - PS doesn't count, but anything to hang around and find your way for that 3rd year, even if it isn't with us.    Big change for roster bubble guys like him.   

Edited by Broncofan

I'd expect some changes during the season on the OL. Watched some highlights and our backups did a great job on the IOL. Didn't see us give up any A gap's at all. What a huge change!

Oh, @broncos_fan _from _uk guy Forsyth seemed to start the entire game and played really well. I don't see Cush holding his spot all season, same with Powers. We got some young studs that want their jobs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

So far: 

Biggest perspective to me is with Prince gone,  Alex Palczewski is LOOKIN' GOOD!

I watched him a bit. He's got potential but has a problem with NFL speed. He got beaten like a drum a few times. Not a big deal, happens to virtually every rookie OT, but he's not ready for prime time yet.

I'm really looking forward to the OL keepers on the 53. We don't have any names that will draw attention so our PS stashes should be uncontested. I'm starting to feel lots better about our OL coach. Those kids were all ready to play.

• Like 1

Man the injury bug just keeps hitting.    Bassey's been making progress, but having Bassey & Mathis both starting is tougher.   Could easily see Sterns / Simmons out together on passing downs a lot more, but against the twitchier slot guys, that's a tall task.    Ugh.

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It’s incredible to see how much pessimism there is around this team given that we’ve made “all-in” type trades in back to back off seasons. Feels like a lost season already and we’ve not even played a regular season game yet. 

I'm kinda surprised too I must say. Though I've been quite negative about the step back I see in defense, I'm ecstatic from the attention I've seen for the offense this preseason. I wouldn't be surprised if we fully make the playoffs this year or at least make the play-in game. I think we will surprise a lot of people