Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To compound this, Marquez Callaway has done nothing to stand out - so he looks like a familiarity-over-skill based signing (very little guaranteed money, so no biggie on that end).    I hope Brandon Johnson can come back soon, and Hinton too, because right now, after the top 3, it's pretty bleak.  

I could definitely see us as a team in the market for a WR after cuts. Is there any other Payton retread on the roster bubble anywhere? TreQuan Smith perhaps?

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I could definitely see us as a team in the market for a WR after cuts. Is there any other Payton retread on the roster bubble anywhere? TreQuan Smith perhaps?

Smith is an excellent call - but so far, he's still on the Saints squad, and their standout rookie Shaheed has a hammy injury, and Michael Thomas looks more like a big body type than a true X (drafting Olave last year was such a smart move), so there's a pretty clear path for him to stick there.   I think he and AT Perry would be locks to stick right now.    Deonte Hardy got significant $ to compete for the slot / swiss-knife role in BUF, so it would be a shocker to see him cut.   I don't think either guy gets cut, but it would be a no-brainer to pick up either guy.

The bubble guys in NO right now other than T-Smith there would be guys who wouldn't be great difference makers, and also don't have familiarity with Payton (Keith Kirkwood being the lone exception) - Lynn Bowden of UK fame is the intriguing name, but he joined NO this year, so there's no history (and to boot, he's a project in his 3rd year as a WR, being a former college QB - Hinton with more explosion, but less refined route skills). 

The consequence of Payton / Loomis go-for-it mentality - they really went bargain hunting for WR depth (pay 1-2 guys big WR money at most, rest are all depth guys).  Which makes total sense if you're going to invest in OL heavily - but it also means there weren't a lot of developmental guys who are still around (Deonte Hardy is the other).

BTW while Maher righted the ship somewhat against SF - could easily see the FO going to inquire on Lutz given Payton's familiarity with him.   His 2023 salary is only 1.25M so it's barely over vet-min.   The issue is if the Saints want to do a trade - no way you should do more than a 6th to 7th pick swap, or a conditional 6th-7th type deal.  At most.   Lutz isn't a big boomer leg-wise (17-29 from 50+, but keep in mind it's sea-level, he's 56/68 from 40-49, 47/52 from 30-39, and only missed 1 FG inside 30), so he's as automatic as they come inside 40, which in DEN you think is 45+.

The only issue is KO's - you'd likely need someone else kicking off - so that's a consideration.  If Lutz gets released, expect him to be brought in.   A late pick swap is palatable, too, but nothing more.  Something to watch for.

Edited by Broncofan

Purcell comes off NFI and restuctures contract, meaning he's likely sticking.   We def need the DL depth, seems like a win-win for both sides here.

Brandon Johnson is back - which is great news.  There is no way Johnson should lose a roster spot to the likes of Marques Calloway at this point.

• Like 1

Mueller's analysis of the injury is correct assuming Rapsheet's report is off the MRI results being leaked.   Assuming Rapsheet is right, and MRI confirms grade 2 injury - could have been worse - Grade 3 needs surgery, and pretty much a season-ender.    Still, even a grade 2 means Jeudy misses the first 3-4 weeks.   And hammy strains come with risk of re-injury for a good while longer.  

Drafting Marvin Mims is certainly a blessing, but we're going to need guys like Hamler & Brandon Johnson to step up.   It's impossible to replace Jeudy's 2H production though - other than Tyreek Hill, the most separation in man coverage, and one of the most productive per-target players since he went to the X.   Ugh, ugh, ugh.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

The sure sign that Jeudy has a grade 2 strain - if he hits the IR.   IR means a minimum of 4 games.  To be clear, I would MUCH rather you rest him for 5-6 weeks (so miss 4 games) and then have him return too soon - because of the risk of aggravating the injury is mega-high - than try and rush him back.   BUT, his return after only 2 weeks from a HAS last year really was surprising (it took a few more weeks to get the full explosion back, to be fair).   I imagine the team might think he heals quickly, and won't want to commit to guarantee 4 missed games.

If Jeudy is placed on IR (and remember, they won't do it until they first put him on the 53-man roster next Tuesday, because that's the only way you can recall them) - then you know it's def a grade 2, and they don't want to take any chances.   If they pass, it could be the best-case where it's grade 1 - but the witnessed events (went down, couldn't fully weight-bear, had to be helped to facilities by staff after being carted) - all strongly suggest a grade 2 injury.   The team could still pass on IR, hoping he'll beat the 4-game mark, given his earlier-than-expected return last year.   Either way, fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Can we please just have a year where our best prospects on offense aren't injured? Silver lining is Sean's been adamant about a bunch more running in the offense. We definitely seem to have the pieces for that.

Me during the draft: "Why do we keep taking WRs we already have 6 of them!"

Me 3 weeks into Preseason: "Thank god we drafted a WR because I should have expected at least 2 of Sutton/Jeudy/Hamler/Patrick to get injured"

Playing without and then having to reintegrate your WR1 in week 4 seems less than ideal for continuity with Russ and a new offense.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Can we please just have a year where our best prospects on offense aren't injured? Silver lining is Sean's been adamant about a bunch more running in the offense. We definitely seem to have the pieces for that.

If we can exploit the quick, mid to deep shots in the passing game. If not, teams just stack the box. Our QB has to be better or nothing works. Sean won't put up with that for long.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Drafting Marvin Mims is certainly a blessing, but we're going to need guys like Hamler & Brandon Johnson to step up.   It's impossible to replace Jeudy's 2H production though - other than Tyreek Hill, the most separation in man coverage, and one of the most productive per-target players since he went to the X.   Ugh, ugh, ugh.  

Highlighted might be a bit tricky, unless you know something I don't .....

Perhaps more 12 personnel (2 TE) to get Dulcich on the field as a receiving threat across all 3 downs, rather than just 3rd down?