Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

45 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It took two games for Drew Sanders to figure it out. STEAL, He has a chance to be one of the best linebackers in football. In all likelihood an injury gets him into the lineup sooner than later but I really don’t know how long you can keep him on the bench. 

Dude was fast on that INT.  He could be RB3

And the cuts keep coming :

No real surprises to me but definitely some PS names here.

https://x.com/mikeklis/status/1696568779075973331?s=46&t=zMV0BiBd0ef-DzF_FtVwHQ

Lutz is a solid kicker for $2.2 + a draft pick is that such a marked upgrade over just keeping McManus? Sean acts almost like a New England assistant in acquiring as many players and coaches from his former team as he can get his hands on. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lutz is a solid kicker for $2.2 + a draft pick is that such a marked upgrade over just keeping McManus? Sean acts almost like a New England assistant in acquiring as many players and coaches from his former as he can get his hands on. 

Yeah, agreed. The handling of the kicker situation hasn't made any sense so far. McManus still holds a 1.2 million dead cap hit so we're utilizing 3.4 million on that room this year (McManus was scheduled to make 3.6 million this year before taking a 2 million contract with the Jags). So basically we swapped McManus for Lutz (who had a worse fg% last year) and a 7th for essentially the same money. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lutz is a solid kicker for $2.2 + a draft pick is that such a marked upgrade over just keeping McManus? Sean acts almost like a New England assistant in acquiring as many players and coaches from his former as he can get his hands on. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/will-lutz-19376/

FWIW the contract info Klis has is wrong - the 2023 salary is 1.25M, the cap hit is higher because of dead money.   There is a 450K roster bonus that could be on DEN’s side or it could have been paid out.   But the number DEN is on the hook for us 1.25M or 1.7M.     Given McManus’ saved money was 2.5M for 2023 it’s still less.    The bigger issue is McManus’ reliability is worse when we factor in altitude.    

Still this move only saves a little money - so the real appeal is getting a younger & presumably similar or better L.    Just need to recognize that McManus was clearly showing signs of decline.  

I don’t have a problem with giving up a 7th to get a K who’s 3 years younger - provided he can handle KO & K duties.   It’s a challenge deal - if Lutz struggles then Payton deserves to be second guessed.   But being younger, and having been a reliable K on contender teams and not in altitude, given it still saves $ and it costs a 7th, I get it.  

Edited by Broncofan

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/will-lutz-19376/

FWIW the contract info Klis has is wrong - the 2023 salary is 1.25M, the cap hit is higher because of dead money.   There is a 450K roster bonus that could be on DEN’s side or it could have been paid out.   But the number DEN is on the hook for us 1.25M or 1.7M.     Given McManus’ saved money was 2.5M for 2023 it’s still less.    The bigger issue is McManus’ reliability is worse when we factor in altitude.    

Still this move only saves a little money - so the real appeal is getting a younger & presumably similar or better L.    Just need to recognize that McManus was clearly showing signs of decline.  

I don’t have a problem with giving up a 7th to get a K who’s 3 years younger - provided he can handle KO & K duties.   It’s a challenge deal - if Lutz struggles then Payton deserves to be second guessed.   But being younger, and having been a reliable K on contender teams and not in altitude, given it still saves $ and it costs a 7th, I get it.  

Hard disagree.

1. If you're going to downgrade McManus because of altitude then you need to downgrade Lutz for playing in a dome. 

2. McManus was actually better away than he was at home (perfect within 50 yards and 4/7 from 50+ which includes the 64 yarder in Seattle). 

3. We had a major holder issue last year. How many of McManus's misses were because of a botched snap/hold before his attempt? 

People like to just look at the stats without looking into any of the context. His "decline" is way over exaggerated and losing a draft pick (yes, even a 7th) when we've been so depleted the past few years is unnecessary. Especially when you're getting a worse player for roughly same amount of money. 

Maher makes more sense than Lutz. At least then you can argue money was the reason why we let McManus go. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With the injuries to our secondary, gotta wonder if Payton will kick the tires on Bradley Roby, who played with Payton in 2021.    

And under Joseph here in Denver.

Albert O cut was surprising given the noise coming from camp and his game 2 catching performance. I guess even that wasn't enough to get rid of the stink of last year.

Speaking of stink - he posted this re:Albert O an hour ago.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

And under Joseph here in Denver.

Albert O cut was surprising given the noise coming from camp and his game 2 catching performance. I guess even that wasn't enough to get rid of the stink of last year.

Speaking of stink - he posted this re:Albert O an hour ago.

Great post!

48 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Hard disagree.

1. If you're going to downgrade McManus because of altitude then you need to downgrade Lutz for playing in a dome. 

2. McManus was actually better away than he was at home (perfect within 50 yards and 4/7 from 50+ which includes the 64 yarder in Seattle). 

3. We had a major holder issue last year. How many of McManus's misses were because of a botched snap/hold before his attempt? 

People like to just look at the stats without looking into any of the context. His "decline" is way over exaggerated and losing a draft pick (yes, even a 7th) when we've been so depleted the past few years is unnecessary. Especially when you're getting a worse player for roughly same amount of money. 

Maher makes more sense than Lutz. At least then you can argue money was the reason why we let McManus go. 

Fair on Lutz & dome.  

Again though - Lutz salary that DEN was on the hook for sure in 2023 is 1.25M, unclear if the 450K roster bonus was already paid out.    Klis’ 2.2M number is incorrect as per Spotrac / OTC, which isn’t surprising with breaking news.   Without the 450K bonus it still saves $, but even if we are due the bonus it’s less.   And we’re getting a guy who’s 3 years younger too.   

As for Maher:

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/01/denver-broncos-brett-maher-contract-details-for-2023/#

If he made the roster he’d be 1.08M plus a 100k bonus to make the 53-man roster.   So we’re talking 1.25M vs. 1.18M (if the 450k bonus is on us then it’s 1.7M vs 1.18M).  

If we’re talking 2023 $ at most we’re talking 450K-500K.   If that bonus is a ready paid out by NO then the diff is literally <100K  (Lutz absolute min is 1.165M under rules so 1.25M was likely a NO round off when restructuring) .   So there’s very little $ in the 2023 $ between the 2.    I’d much rather have Lutz over Maher.  

The one area where Maher makes more sense is he’d be an automatic touchback in DEN on KO.   No idea if Lutz would be the same.  And if he’s not doing KO then no argument on it being a bad move.  

You know I don’t like giving up meaningful pick capital if it’s not needed.   And I do worry Payton had too much loyalty to his NO days (TE - WR where it could really cause issues).   I hated the trade with us giving a 5th for a ST guy a couple of years ago.   But a 7th doesn’t move the needle for me (4th/5th we’ve been so good I do care a lot more too).   That matters too. 

Edited by Broncofan