Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

Still a ways away, but thought this belonged in a TC thread, rather than the Clark thread, as Browning's recovery is something to watch for....

Why this matters - if Browning had a simple suture repair, he'd almost certainly be back in a 2-4 week timeframe - that's why players usually opt for this repair, to get back on the field sooner.   But, it also comes with a MUCH higher risk of arthritis down the line - so if they get a full repair/reconstruction done, it's a 8-10 week recovery.     Given that Browning had the surgery last week, he could start TC (July 27) on PUP to be extra cautious, if he had the simpler repair done - but that would be 6-7 weeks from the surgery.  It seems like he had the full repair, and could be ready to play closer to Opening Week with the full repair/reconstruction, albeit still getting into game shape.  

Either way, something to look out for with TC.   Only 6 weeks away!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of Jeudy's proclamation on the WR corp this year and was pondering the speed on that potential of that 2nd unit. 

WR Hamler  4.28 speed

WR Mims   4.38 speed

WR Marques Callaway 4.55 speed

TE Albert O 4.4 speed

Add in Jaleen at RB, and we have a very fast skill set there. 

Hamler taking a pay cut in guaranteed money and an injury clause to get out pretty much locks him into the roster.   Given that he'll be past the 18 month mark post-ACL, as long as he doesn't hit the soft-tissue injury bug, hard to argue - but this is likely his make-or-break deal given he'll be a UFA next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, Broncofan said:

Hamler taking a pay cut in guaranteed money and an injury clause to get out pretty much locks him into the roster.   Given that he'll be past the 18 month mark post-ACL, as long as he doesn't hit the soft-tissue injury bug, hard to argue - but this is likely his make-or-break deal given he'll be a UFA next year.

The WR room will be an interesting 53 decision.  They probably wanted a Sutton trade to present itself so now it’s looking crowded 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, bMiller031 said:

The WR room will be an interesting 53 decision.  They probably wanted a Sutton trade to present itself so now it’s looking crowded 

For sure if they could have acquired a Day 2 pick for Sutton, it would have made sense.   But sure seems like that ship has sailed (I mean, Nuk Hopkins is still out there unsigned).    So.....if everyone is healthy, then yes, the room's crowded for sure.   But predicting health for all the guys is iffy. 

If no one is hurt, I think Jeudy/Sutton/Patrick/Mims/Hamler are locks.   Then the last 1-2 spots go between Callaway/Hinton/Virgil.    Callaway is who he is - but he has familiarity with Payton and the system, but he's also only got 300K guaranteed off a 1.1M salary, so it's far from a lock he sticks (seems like insurance depth).   On the other hand, Virgil has 3 more years of control, while Hinton has ST & 3-position versatility.     Who gets the 6th (and maybe 7th) spot will be fascinating.   I don't know that Montrell Washington has much of a chance with Mims as a PR, and others being able to be KR's.   Guess we'll see.

Edited by Broncofan

All right the itch has finally hit. I’m ready for camp! 

While I’m not quite ready to call myself optimistic about the team’s chances this year, I am intrigued at how things will look. I think Sean, long as he is fully invested, represents a multi-win (3+) upgrade over Hackett; the culture change, the locker room buy-in on account of his stature and reputation will be there, and he’s a superior play-caller and play designer to anyone we’ve had since Kubiak.  

Last year burned me so badly - I thought playoffs were a veritable lock and that Hackett/Russ would be a great HC/QB combo. Wow was that wrong. So it’s almost a “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” mindset. 

I’m going to be watching camp closely this year and probably even head down there a few times to watch in person. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 2:30 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

All right the itch has finally hit. I’m ready for camp! 

While I’m not quite ready to call myself optimistic about the team’s chances this year, I am intrigued at how things will look. I think Sean, long as he is fully invested, represents a multi-win (3+) upgrade over Hackett; the culture change, the locker room buy-in on account of his stature and reputation will be there, and he’s a superior play-caller and play designer to anyone we’ve had since Kubiak.  

Last year burned me so badly - I thought playoffs were a veritable lock and that Hackett/Russ would be a great HC/QB combo. Wow was that wrong. So it’s almost a “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me” mindset. 

I’m going to be watching camp closely this year and probably even head down there a few times to watch in person. 

I am just glad we are done experimenting with coaches. However, with Russ, I don't know, he might be washed up, we will have to see on that one.  I think the Broncos go as far as Russ can take them.  If it's not far, then we are looking for a new QB again.  But here is the good news, maybe with Sean at the HC helm, he can handpick his guy. 

On 7/14/2023 at 4:07 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

I am just glad we are done experimenting with coaches. However, with Russ, I don't know, he might be washed up, we will have to see on that one.  I think the Broncos go as far as Russ can take them.  If it's not far, then we are looking for a new QB again.  But here is the good news, maybe with Sean at the HC helm, he can handpick his guy. 

How long does Sean stick around if things go sideways? My worry with the veteran HC is if the going gets tough does he bounce - as he did in NO when Brees retired and they went into cap hell. Or is he committed for at least 5 years?

If Russ proves unfixable and the “win now” option isn’t available, does he stick around or does he bounce for an opening in LA or another “hot” market or a lucrative media gig rather than grind through a rebuild?

I’d love to see the details of Sean’s contract to know what he’s being paid and how it’s structured and what outs, for both sides, exist. But between the Walmarts being extremely secretive about everything and Sean coming from the Parcells tree, trying to get any information they don’t want out is almost impossible. My beat writer friend referred to the org (in terms of media access) as “the SS Belichick” and a that a lot of longer tenured media remember have been equating things the the Ellis/McDaniels era saying “they better win this time.” 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

How long does Sean stick around if things go sideways? My worry with the veteran HC is if the going gets tough does he bounce - as he did in NO when Brees retired and they went into cap hell. Or is he committed for at least 5 years?

If Russ proves unfixable and the “win now” option isn’t available, does he stick around or does he bounce for an opening in LA or another “hot” market or a lucrative media gig rather than grind through a rebuild?

I’d love to see the details of Sean’s contract to know what he’s being paid and how it’s structured and what outs, for both sides, exist. But between the Walmarts being extremely secretive about everything and Sean coming from the Parcells tree, trying to get any information they don’t want out is almost impossible. My beat writer friend referred to the org (in terms of media access) as “the SS Belichick” and a that a lot of longer tenured media remember have been equating things the the Ellis/McDaniels era saying “they better win this time.” 

Why wouldn't he stick around? If the Walmarts like him, they can pay him what he wants.  OR, if it goes sideway, how long does George get to stay around, or does Sean get him fired and assume GM duties until he gets the team he wants?  If Russ is unfixable, they will bight the bullet and let him go next year.  If he is as bad as last year, I bet Stidham will take over.  And that lone game I saw him play against a really good 49ers team, I thought he had them beaten; I am slightly intrigued, but it was one game. But maybe Stidham is Sean's kind of QB?  Maybe that is why they paid him a pretty good salary for a backup. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 8:15 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

Why wouldn't he stick around? If the Walmarts like him, they can pay him what he wants.  OR, if it goes sideway, how long does George get to stay around, or does Sean get him fired and assume GM duties until he gets the team he wants?  If Russ is unfixable, they will bight the bullet and let him go next year.  If he is as bad as last year, I bet Stidham will take over.  And that lone game I saw him play against a really good 49ers team, I thought he had them beaten; I am slightly intrigued, but it was one game. But maybe Stidham is Sean's kind of QB?  Maybe that is why they paid him a pretty good salary for a backup. 

Good points jst. I think he's here for a long time, at least 5 years for a complete rebuild. Patons fiasco of close to 50 coaches fired in a bit over a year was too much, so I'd imagine stability was something the owners emphasized with Sean. I also agree with your QB take.