Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The one risk with this is injuries are more likely when players are fatigued (the obv counter is that you can only go so far to mitigate risk) so otherwise I think getting back to being the better-conditioned team that wears the opponent out in the 4Q is a great idea.   

Meh it’s football practice the way football practice should be. It was also 95 out there today. I did the same when I was in high school and I wasn’t 1/100th the athlete the modern NFL players are. They can run gassers at the end of practice in the heat and be just fine. 

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Meh it’s football practice the way football practice should be. It was also 95 out there today. I did the same when I was in high school and I wasn’t 1/100th the athlete the modern NFL players are. They can run gassers at the end of practice in the heat and be just fine. 

I don’t have an issue if they’re smart about it - every scrimmage comes with risk that’s unavoidable.    Obv the old ways with 2-a-days  had risk that isn’t justifiable but this is hardly that. 

We saw what taking the foot completely off the pedal in preseason did for us last year.   Payton’s focus on conditioning has been stated as a priority - with our altitude edge at home it’s a no brainer to hone in on.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I trust Payton to run a smart but physical camp. I’m encouraged by his focus to conditioning and I also believe players need to be ready for live bullets and you need tough practices to accomplish that because there aren’t enough preseason reps to go around. 

The problem with Fangio’s camp was really just the first season when they had the extra long camp because of the HOF game and Fangio wanted to get the guys “calloused”. A lot was written later about how beat up the team was by Werk 1, which very well may have contributed to the 0-4 start (also says a lot about the team’s approach to conditioning). My untrained eye told me they didn’t seem to have a lot of edge or energy in those first few games. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I trust Payton to run a smart but physical camp. I’m encouraged by his focus to conditioning and I also believe players need to be ready for live bullets and you need tough practices to accomplish that because there aren’t enough preseason reps to go around. 

The problem with Fangio’s camp was really just the first season when they had the extra long camp because of the HOF game and Fangio wanted to get the guys “calloused”. A lot was written later about how beat up the team was by Werk 1, which very well may have contributed to the 0-4 start (also says a lot about the team’s approach to conditioning). My untrained eye told me they didn’t seem to have a lot of edge or energy in those first few games. 

As with most everything, it's about finding the sweet spot - the old-school 2-a-days and play-through-heat-no-matter-what, that's too far (Korey Stringer changed the mindset).    Taking the gas off all preseason last year, way too little.   

One notable piece of news - McGlinchey has missed camp, sounds like he lost his childhood best friend.  Having gone through that, I feel for him - definitely a gut punch at that age, I felt it being in my 50's, still way too young - can't imagine it at late 20's early 30's.

Edited by Broncofan

On 7/28/2023 at 11:48 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

These guys are prefessional athletes, you would think these guys are in pretty good shape and gassers should be welcomed by someone who works out everyday.

The Rodgers/Hackett relationship itself seems like kind of a joke. Hackett will joke around with the hilarious one-liners with him and he’ll let Rodgers run the offense he wants.  Rodgers doesn’t want to be challenged and Hackett is the perfect pushover coach everyone really likes.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Rodgers/Hackett relationship itself seems like kind of a joke. Hackett will joke around with the hilarious one-liners with him and he’ll let Rodgers run the offense he wants.  Rodgers doesn’t want to be challenged and Hackett is the perfect pushover coach everyone really likes.

This is 100% correct. I can acknowledge Hackett may have some good ideas on paper, but he failed the HC test even if he passed the Aaron Rodgers test. He was objectively awful. The team and offense were in disarray and that was a theme over nearly the entire season.  

Losing Patrick hurts but the reality is he and Sutton shared the same ideal role.    Losing another top 5 guy in the depth chart hurts though.  

Hamler’s diagnosis isn’t normal - the most benign explanation is it’s some post-viral thing and it settles.   Hopefully that’s it and nothing more ominous but the team cutting bait, can’t say it seems mild.  If it’s part of a more serious auto-immune condition then it would explain the decision to cut bait.   

Edited by Broncofan

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Losing Patrick hurts but the reality is he and Sutton shared the same ideal role.    Losing another top 5 guy in the depth chart hurts though.  

Hamler’s diagnosis isn’t normal - the most benign explanation is it’s some post-viral thing and it settles.   Hopefully that’s it and nothing more ominous but the team cutting bait, can’t say it seems mild.  If it’s part of a more serious auto-immune condition then it would explain the decision to cut bait.   

Always loved that Marvin Mims pick. Don’t check my history, just trust

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Always loved that Marvin Mims pick. Don’t check my history, just trust

Lol no need to check.   Turns out the FO may have done Hamler a solid by releasing him.   Apparently if he’s put on the reserve / NFI list they keep his rights (but don’t have to pay him) and he can’t sign with another team - and is also out for the year.   This way if he gets cleared later on he can re-sign.  Win win on both sides. 

Wish him well - if he doesn’t return then total bust pick due to injury but that’s just hindsight (although to be fair I took Jaylon Johnson instead I’m 2020 GM game instead of Hamler - no need to check trust me lol). 

Edited by Broncofan

Damn that brutal for Hamler with Pericarditis. I read up on it previously due to the significant rise in the condition after COVID vaccines (not looking to get into that). Basically he is going to have a hard time being cleared for the football field with something like that due to the potential of dying on the field. It was a different heart issue but I remember when Chris Bosh (from the Miami Heat days) had to cut his career short because he had an irregular rhythm recorded in his med chart. It's just one organ that is usually a kiss of death for an Athletes career. 

More broadly speaking, I think this shows why there were many of us Broncos fans who didn't exactly feel confident going into the WR room this year despite having 5 that could start and them being the highest paid in the league. Hoping we can get a gadget guy from somewhere because there won't be speed guys of that caliber for sale without a price tag that we can't be paying.

Edited by Dbrog24

15 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Damn that brutal for Hamler with Pericarditis. I read up on it previously due to the significant rise in the condition after COVID vaccines (not looking to get into that). Basically he is going to have a hard time being cleared for the football field with something like that due to the potential of dying on the field. It was a different heart issue but I remember when Chris Bosh (from the Miami Heat days) had to cut his career short because he had an irregular rhythm recorded in his med chart. It's just one organ that is usually a kiss of death for an Athletes career. 

More broadly speaking, I think this shows why there were many of us Broncos fans who didn't exactly feel confident going into the WR room this year despite having 5 that could start and them being the highest paid in the league. Hoping we can get a gadget guy from somewhere because there won't be speed guys of that caliber for sale without a price tag that we can't be paying.

I thought Bosh also had blood clots that led to his retirement? Either way, hopefully he is back by the start of the season in a month but it sounds like the Broncos planned on going with more of a run heavy offense this year so I dont see the need for 5+ WRs regardless. Just need Jeudy/Sutton to actually stay healthy this year or we could get real thin, real quick.

Good news is that Hinton/Virgil/Johnson are all very well accustomed to stepping in and playing solid football when injuries pop up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I thought Bosh also had blood clots that led to his retirement? Either way, hopefully he is back by the start of the season in a month but it sounds like the Broncos planned on going with more of a run heavy offense this year so I dont see the need for 5+ WRs regardless. Just need Jeudy/Sutton to actually stay healthy this year or we could get real thin, real quick.

Good news is that Hinton/Virgil/Johnson are all very well accustomed to stepping in and playing solid football when injuries pop up

Yeah it was the clots that did it - 1 year due to lung clots (pulmonary embolism), then re-diagnosed with recurrent clot in his leg - and docs wouldn't clear him, as he needed indefinite duration for anticoagulation (blood thinners).   The heart arrhythmia did lead to missed time, but the clots did him in.

The one element Hamler always brought (and a big reason to be drafted that high) was his lid-lifter speed.    If Hamler doesn't return, then Mims becomes more important because Sutton for sure isn't that guy, and Jeudy's going to command a lot of attention regardless.