Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Browning on the PUP is something to keep an eye on. I'm really, really worried about his health at this point.

Yeah, it's becoming a recurring issue. Not feeling overly optimistic. I would imagine Drew Sanders is going to get some serious consideration in that pass rushing role. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Uwazurike banned indefinitely 

Calvin Ridley came back after a year, so most likely that's the outcome.    At least it wasn't our thinnest unit talent-wise... ugh.  😵

Still, while some players could say they weren't told about the rules (a few players bet on non-NFL bets on the road in a team hotel, not knowing that's considered "on-site") - Uwa bet on NFL games.   There's no way players weren't told league bets are off-limits in all circumstances.    Uwa deserved this one 100 percent.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

It was pretty obvious he wasn’t going to be an NFL player so I’m fine with this. Will force them to bring in a playable veteran now.

The Broncos did spend a 4th round draft pick on him, so they didn't see it was so obvious. Just an act of stupidity that doesn't help this team or himself...hope he won a LOT of money on those bets, he's gonna need it. 

20 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

The Broncos did spend a 4th round draft pick on him, so they didn't see it was so obvious. Just an act of stupidity that doesn't help this team or himself...hope he won a LOT of money on those bets, he's gonna need it. 

I’m sure they felt that way on draft day. But coaches talk about how they can see who the busts are pretty immediately in OTAs. In this guy‘a case, he was a 24 year old rookie with tons of reps in a major conference and his selling point was having pro-ready size and strength. And he got pushed around consistently. Just a bad pick, glad there is a reason to move on and not waste more reps. 

• Like 2

We should acknowledge that coming into the new season Payton is more likely to point the finger at coaching more than players as the new HC.   And I don’t think anyone would say that Wilson gets a pass either.   But I think most of us would agree with Payton’s assessment re: coaching.  

Given that we’re playing NYJ and Hackett in week 5 no doubt this is going to get a ton of attention.   Payton being willing to put this in print knowing that speaks volumes.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

From the same interview but diff section.   Not surprising for him given his MO in NO - left when the full rebuild was needed.   

Obv it doesn’t mean he’ll do the same for sure when a rebuild is needed here - but seems safe to say Payton’s not presenting this as a rebuild for this year.  

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I love it. This is classic Parcells. He’s going to talk his **** and bring all the swagger the team needs. And if they fail to perform, it’s on Payton…who has as much job security as anyone in the league.

I’d be unhappy with a player who posted bulletin board material regularly vs his opponents.  No need to do that.  

But here not only is Payton correct in his assessment of Hackett’s incompetence, he’s tasked with changing the losing culture.   He has clearly made Wilson more accountable by killing the entourage & getting him to curb the social media posting, so it’s not like he’s let him off the hook.   It’s only fair to call out the other major factor in Hackett & co.  

So yeah I get it.   And it’s exactly who Payton is.   If you can’t back up the talk then there’s a problem but his record as a HC speaks for itself.   

Given how bad Hackett was and the culture change needed I agree this works.  Especially since it’s Payton being true to who he is as a HC.   Week 5 should be spicy! 

Edited by Broncofan

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I’d be unhappy with a player who posted bulletin board material regularly vs his opponents.  No need to do that.  

But here not only is Payton correct in his assessment of Hackett’s incompetence, he’s tasked with changing the losing culture.   He has clearly made Wilson more accountable by killing the entourage & getting him to curb the social media posting, so it’s not like he’s let him off the hook.   It’s only fair to call out the other major factor in Hackett & co.  

So yeah I get it.   And it’s exactly who Payton is.   If you can’t back up the talk then there’s a problem but his record as a HC speaks for itself.   

Given how bad Hackett was and the culture change needed I agree this works.  Especially since it’s Payton being true to who he is as a HC.   Week 5 should be spicy! 

It feels like the first time Payton has thrown himself behind Russ too. He’s been so cautious and tepid talking about him until now. Everything he does is calculated.

Not only do I not have a problem with what Sean said, I applaud for him it. I can’t really add much to what’s been said - it does put the pressure on him, it draws attention to the team and it should help make week 5 a little more spicy. 

Even when they were winning, the Saints didn’t get a lot of attention nationally in terms of the discussion - they got a lot of national games as they were a successful, exciting team with a household name QB - but they didn’t draw a ton of attention in the “discussion/debate” side. Looking back as I did at Sean’s time there, these comments are very in keeping with public persona - he’s something of a pit bull. This is a cranked a little higher on the 1-10 scale than I’ve seen but he’s always been one who is unafraid to share his thoughts. 

These two quotes struck me:

Oh, man," Payton said regarding Wilson's struggles. "There's so much dirt around that. There's 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don't know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn't just Russell. He didn't just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn't get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”

And:

"It doesn't happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed," Payton said. "And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much (expletive) time trying to win the offseason - the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff."

• Like 1