Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah it was the clots that did it - 1 year due to lung clots (pulmonary embolism), then re-diagnosed with recurrent clot in his leg - and docs wouldn't clear him, as he needed indefinite duration for anticoagulation (blood thinners).   The heart arrhythmia did lead to missed time, but the clots did him in.

The one element Hamler always brought (and a big reason to be drafted that high) was his lid-lifter speed.    If Hamler doesn't return, then Mims becomes more important because Sutton for sure isn't that guy, and Jeudy's going to command a lot of attention regardless.    

I don't think Hamler was, in any way, a lock to make this team regardless. In fact, I'd argue he had a 20-25% chance of making the team which was likely contingent on an injury to Mims or multiple receivers. He's missed more games than he's played, wasn't drafted by Payton, hasn't been good and has direct competition in Mims. His role is sort of superfluous.

• Like 2

Guys who continue to make noise every day from reports I’ve heard/read:

RB Jaleel McLaughlin - putting together big day after big day and now doing it in full pads

EDGE Randy Gregory + Jonathon Cooper - lot of people saying Cooper has made a leap from last year which could make him a valuable rotation guy and even a decent starter 

CB Damarri Mathis - I think this defense might be a better fit for Mathis, he’s fast, agile, sticky and physical and has had some good battles with Jeudy 

S Justin Simmons + Caden Sterns - very excited about what this combo can do if Sterns can stay healthy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah it was the clots that did it - 1 year due to lung clots (pulmonary embolism), then re-diagnosed with recurrent clot in his leg - and docs wouldn't clear him, as he needed indefinite duration for anticoagulation (blood thinners).   The heart arrhythmia did lead to missed time, but the clots did him in.

The one element Hamler always brought (and a big reason to be drafted that high) was his lid-lifter speed.    If Hamler doesn't return, then Mims becomes more important because Sutton for sure isn't that guy, and Jeudy's going to command a lot of attention regardless.    

Yeah, Im not really worried about Hamler, though having him healthy would be nice. From everything I have read about TC the Broncos are in position to run the crap out of the ball this year with Perine, Javonte and this young scat back who is blowing up camp. I dont really think the Broncos really need to be 4-5-6 deep at WR this year. As long as Jeudy/Sutton are healthy they just need either Mims or Callaway to be that 3rd guy with deep speed.

They also have a LOT of speed guys to fill that role. Mims, Callaway, Virgil, Jeudy are all deep speed guys. Sutton really is the only one who isnt.

Edited by AkronsWitness

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Guys who continue to make noise every day from reports I’ve heard/read:

RB Jaleel McLaughlin - putting together big day after big day and now doing it in full pads

EDGE Randy Gregory + Jonathon Cooper - lot of people saying Cooper has made a leap from last year which could make him a valuable rotation guy and even a decent starter 

CB Damarri Mathis - I think this defense might be a better fit for Mathis, he’s fast, agile, sticky and physical and has had some good battles with Jeudy 

S Justin Simmons + Caden Sterns - very excited about what this combo can do if Sterns can stay healthy

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah, Im not really worried about Hamler, though having him healthy would be nice. From everything I have read about TC the Broncos are in position to run the crap out of the ball this year with Perine, Javonte and this young scat back who is blowing up camp. I dont really think the Broncos really need to be 4-5-6 deep at WR this year. As long as Jeudy/Sutton are healthy they just need either Mims or Callaway to be that 3rd guy with deep speed.

They also have a LOT of speed guys to fill that role. Mims, Callaway, Virgil, Jeudy are all deep speed guys. Sutton really is the only one who isnt.

As long as Mclaughlin can play some ST it would seem like he's got a great shot to make the roster if he can keep this up through PS games - he's small and scouting reports say he's got miles to go for pass pro, so he'll have to add some return role to have a legit shot, but he did return 30 kickoffs while at Youngstown State, so there's a path.   Big receiving weapon, and Payton loves to use the RB's in the pass game; it's no coincidence Perine was tabbed as the vet RB to bring in.   

Obv the first 2 spots are locked up, but there's no one on our current roster that deserves to be considered a lock to make the roster, and there's no way we won't have 3 RB's with Javonte's risk being back year 1 post-ACL.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

As long as Mclaughlin can play some ST it would seem like he's got a great shot to make the roster if he can keep this up through PS games - he's small and scouting reports say he's got miles to go for pass pro, so he'll have to add some return role to have a legit shot, but he did return 30 kickoffs while at Youngstown State, so there's a path.   Big receiving weapon, and Payton loves to use the RB's in the pass game; it's no coincidence Perine was tabbed as the vet RB to bring in.   

Obv the first 2 spots are locked up, but there's no one on our current roster that deserves to be considered a lock to make the roster, and there's no way we won't have 3 RB's with Javonte's risk being back year 1 post-ACL.

Just to bounce some random thoughts about Peytons 'type' off you-- I find it funny that looking back at those Saints teams and how they were contructed that they DIDNT have that much of a talent gap on offense. I know Brees covered up deficiencies but its wasnt like NO was some star studded teams with playmakers everywhere on offense.

He essentially had Colston/Graham--Colston was a 7th rounder. He then operated with Michael Thomas/Kamara who were 2nd/3rd round picks respectively. Mark Ingram sprinkled in who I honestly believe is the reason they went after Perine so hard. Hes a Mark Ingram doppleganger. 

The one thought I always have about how he coaches is that he doesnt NEED a ton of high profile weapons everywhere to makeup for deficiencies. He is really good at identifying traits in playmakers and building around that. What they do best.

Its fun to think about in Denver who has spent the last 6 years trying to draft offensive talent everywhere to makeup for their miscues.  

Edited by AkronsWitness

20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just to bounce some random thoughts about Peytons 'type' off you-- I find it funny that looking back at those Saints teams and how they were contructed that they DIDNT have that much of a talent gap on offense. I know Brees covered up deficiencies but its wasnt like NO was some star studded teams with playmakers everywhere on offense.

He essentially had Colston/Graham--Colston was a 7th rounder. He then operated with Michael Thomas/Kamara who were 2nd/3rd round picks respectively. Mark Ingram sprinkled in who I honestly believe is the reason they went after Perine so hard. Hes a Mark Ingram doppleganger. 

The one thought I always have about how he coaches is that he doesnt NEED a ton of high profile weapons everywhere to makeup for deficiencies. He is really good at identifying traits in playmakers and building around that. What they do best.

Its fun to think about in Denver who has spent the last 6 years trying to draft offensive talent everywhere to makeup for their miscues.  

There are a few things about Payton's time in NO:

1.   He absolutely loved to have the X receiver as the target hog.   First it was Colston, then it was Micheal Thomas.   Presumably that's Jeudy's role, since he thrived in the X.  Someone who can get open both short & intermediate (deep is a bonus).   

2.  He definitely had a thing for the TE in the RZ.   He wasn't afraid of 12 personnel and having the 2nd TE targeted.    There's a role for both Dulcich and the 2nd TE (whether it's Trautman, or we see some more Albert O).     

3.   He loved having versatility in his backfield.   Pierre Thomas AND Sproles.   Kamara and Mark Ingram.   And of course, now we see Taysom Hill as the X factor.    But outside of his inexplicable infatuation with Taysom Hill (it really is puzzling lol) - he usually goes for the discount RB to pair with the main guy.   Reggie Bush was back in the era of game-changing RB's being the cornerstone. 

4.  Finally, while he'd pay up for the X and maybe a game-changer like Kamara - he definitely tried to save $ on the support roles.    He invested heavily in OL both in terms of draft capital and retainining cornerstones (and then replenishing in the draft), so spending ultra-cheap on complementary RB/WR (or mining the bargain vet tier) was his method of balancing resources (along with a very unhealthy long-term practice of pushing cap h.ell down the line) 

You can see a lot of parallels in how DEN's O roster is constructed - mostly the supporting cast outside of Jeudy/Sutton is on the cheap - Perine is cheap and versatile,  getting a UDFA like Mclaughlin definitely fits.   And spending cheaply salary-wise on draft WR's and looking for value for 3rd/4th WR is definitely his MO.  

I am a little worried Payton's too reliant on his NO days (Trautman, Callaway, etc.), but investing in the trenches is a no-brainer, and in his system, the X is the target hog so I get passing on big investments outside of the X at WR.    It's hard to argue his track record of success.   Really, other than his love for Taysom Hill and gadget-plays (that have cost him dearly in playoffs and huge reg season games), Payton's earned his top 5 coaching status.   It would be surprising if we aren't well prepared, and we're not a ton better with the OL. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Well the Fabian Moreau signing yesterday def makes a lot of sense given this....hopefully Moss is back to get to Week 1, he was most likely our 4th CB heading into the preseason.   Expect we'll see a lot of 3-safety looks if Moss isn't back, and Moreau has lost that critical step with age/wear.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Also sounds like Zach Allen’s best football might be coming. If he makes the leap to consistent game wrecker, this defense could be something. 

I’ve heard this too. I think he’s going to be a name of note this season, not a game-wrecker like Von or a (when healthy) Randy Gregory, but I foresee an impact. I’ve heard good reviews on McLaughlin, who you also mentioned.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve heard this too. I think he’s going to be a name of note this season, not a game-wrecker like Von or a (when healthy) Randy Gregory, but I foresee an impact. I’ve heard good reviews on McLaughlin, who you also mentioned.

Speaking of the devil, I think having Allen tying up blockers will really allow Gregory to give QBs nightmares this season provided both guys manage to stay healthy, which is a big if of course. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Seems like Russ has really been struggling in camp thus far. It has me worried the problems weren’t all Hackett last year.

Eh, it's a few days into camp with a new offense. We've had these same discussions every year. I remember when Manning was here and the team was struggling and people freaked out.