Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

Wholeheartedly behind Payton’s message here. The spiciest nugget for sure was the part where he basically named names of who was complicit in letting the poopy culture around Russ germinate, including the GM and team president. WHO ARE BOTH STILL HERE! This is clearly a guy who knows he’s got the most job security in the league, but I’m not sure how good it is for relationships inside team headquarters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Not only do I not have a problem with what Sean said, I applaud for him it. I can’t really add much to what’s been said - it does put the pressure on him, it draws attention to the team and it should help make week 5 a little more spicy. 

Even when they were winning, the Saints didn’t get a lot of attention nationally in terms of the discussion - they got a lot of national games as they were a successful, exciting team with a household name QB - but they didn’t draw a ton of attention in the “discussion/debate” side. Looking back as I did at Sean’s time there, these comments are very in keeping with public persona - he’s something of a pit bull. This is a cranked a little higher on the 1-10 scale than I’ve seen but he’s always been one who is unafraid to share his thoughts. 

These two quotes struck me:

Oh, man," Payton said regarding Wilson's struggles. "There's so much dirt around that. There's 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don't know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn't just Russell. He didn't just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn't get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”

And:

"It doesn't happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed," Payton said. "And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much (expletive) time trying to win the offseason - the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff."

I absolutely love what Payton said. Love it. I want more of it. This has been a franchise with a losing culture for the last 7-8 years. Previously, that was unheard of. There's an expectation from the fanbase that the Broncos will be in the upper echelon of organizations. We need to bring some attitude back and light a fire under some guys.

Pretty hilarious that he threw Paton and Leach among others under the bus too with this quote:

"Not anymore. When Payton was hired in February, he made it clear that Heaps would not have access to the team’s facility.  “That wasn’t his fault,” Payton said of Wilson. “That was the parents who allowed it. That’s not an incrimination on him, but an incrimination on the head coach, the GM, the president and everybody else who watched it all happen."

I was not totally sold on Payton and the trade for him, but he's bringing accountability to this team and we haven't had that in a long time. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Pretty hilarious that he threw Paton and Leach among others under the bus too with this quote:

"Not anymore. When Payton was hired in February, he made it clear that Heaps would not have access to the team’s facility.  “That wasn’t his fault,” Payton said of Wilson. “That was the parents who allowed it. That’s not an incrimination on him, but an incrimination on the head coach, the GM, the president and everybody else who watched it all happen."

I was not totally sold on Payton and the trade for him, but he's bringing accountability to this team and we haven't had that in a long time. 

I had this thought a full one minute before you, Doll, therefore I am much smarter.

What I just found interesting - and I only got to hear about 15 minutes driving between places - was Sandy Clough and Shawn Drotar (I found out yesterday Sandy unretired and him and Shawn have the 2-4 slot on Mile High Sports Radio) - just savaging Sean for what he said. I don’t get it. Especially from those 2 who are spectacular radio guys. They basically said that Sean did it, especially the “parents” comments to deflect blame from himself should this go sideways. I had the opposite interpretation - Sean was saying “I’m here now and I’m the man and the bucks stops with me, not with George, with Damani Leech, not even with the Walmarts.” 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What I just found interesting - and I only got to hear about 15 minutes driving between places - was Sandy Clough and Shawn Drotar (I found out yesterday Sandy unretired and him and Shawn have the 2-4 slot on Mile High Sports Radio) - just savaging Sean for what he said. I don’t get it. Especially from those 2 who are spectacular radio guys. They basically said that Sean did it, especially the “parents” comments to deflect blame from himself should this go sideways. I had the opposite interpretation - Sean was saying “I’m here now and I’m the man and the bucks stops with me, not with George, with Damani Leech, not even with the Walmarts.” 

Yeah, their interpretation makes no sense. ‘Stupid stuff happened before I got here, it won’t happen now, no excuses for not making the playoffs’ seems very much like he’s placing the target directly on his own back if things go south. I love it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think you can make an argument that criticizing support staff (training staff, team PR) is out of bounds. I’m not making that argument but you could. But yeah, the message of “this is my show” could not be more clear. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

12 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Yeah, their interpretation makes no sense. ‘Stupid stuff happened before I got here, it won’t happen now, no excuses for not making the playoffs’ seems very much like he’s placing the target directly on his own back if things go south. I love it.

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think you can make an argument that criticizing support staff (training staff, team PR) is out of bounds. I’m not making that argument but you could. But yeah, the message of “this is my show” could not be more clear. 

Man, that comes off as going for hot takes and sound bytes.    After the season we just had, to stand up and say "we should make playoffs, last year was all on horrric coaching / O-line <and ackwnowledging player responsibilities, he did say the blame needed to be spread across>) "- that's not setting up excuses for this year.

If anything, if you're trying to hedge against taking responsibility, you say "this year team's got work to do, we hope to make playoffs, that's our goal" - not "I'd be p*ssed if we didn't make the playoffs".    SMH.

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think, after last year, criticism of all parties should be on the table. We gotta call it what it is - the Broncos swung and missed on Rodgers but landed Russ. They trotted out the PR machine to spin it and get people excited, but they let Russ and his entourage run wild, Hackett wasn't the right hire, and we had a ton of injuries again. Sometimes the truth hurts.

• Like 3

My overriding thought on the interview is that I like the cockiness and brashness of it. We've probably missed that confidence/arrogance in these parts. That said - you have to have some understanding of those who feel criticising fellow professionals is a bit unprofessional and frankly, not necessary.

It's ultimately just Payton trying to feed confidence to his QB by any means necessary.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

My overriding thought on the interview is that I like the cockiness and brashness of it. We've probably missed that confidence/arrogance in these parts. That said - you have to have some understanding of those who feel criticising fellow professionals is a bit unprofessional and frankly, not necessary.

It's ultimately just Payton trying to feed confidence to his QB by any means necessary.

Correct. And I would also say I think it's laying the groundwork (subtly) to move on from Russ if things go south. 

The one risk with this is injuries are more likely when players are fatigued (the obv counter is that you can only go so far to mitigate risk) so otherwise I think getting back to being the better-conditioned team that wears the opponent out in the 4Q is a great idea.   

Edited by Broncofan

47 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Def would welcome him back with open arms.   Would love to see another add like Matt Ionnadis esp at value prices likely out there too.  Both are getting up there but bargain 1-year deals no brainer with our roster.     Build the trench depth.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1