Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

34 minutes ago, germ-x said:

In what way?

Of his 6 incompletions, 3 were drops, one was batted down, and another he was under so much pressure that he couldn’t even complete his drop back. He was moving around better (still not very good), and there was some feel for where pressure was coming from. The first team OL was horrific. First preseason game, no McGlinchey, so I’m not panicking about that yet, but considering how they played, I have no idea how you can’t be optimistic about Russ finding *some* semblance of quality in his own game going forward. 

Soooo...I went way too hard watching this preseason game and this will be a horrifically non technical assessment. Anyway, here it goes...

Firstly, I LOVED that Sean kept the starters in until they showed signs of something. Second, I know some of you know I'm a long-time Spurs fan and this offense was very Tim Duncanesc. I consistently thought our offense was awful but then announcers would be talking fg. Basically, Sean knows how to get sneaky yards.

I also noticed nice TE designed plays with at least two leading to Dulcic wide open but wasn't found. In our RB room, I'm still loving the Perine signing after watching him nearly all last year with the Bengles. He will definitely be consistent with an explosive now and then.

I was surprised to see Trautman create explosives with his blocking ability which makes me see why Sean brought him in at the TE position. There was honestly pretty good play design with a variety of people open in the 3 strings that we played (don't forget our 3rd played all of the 4th and we were ahead before that). 

The negatives I saw seem to indicate what I thought in terms of our defense taking a step back. Though Singleton continues to be a nasty boi, our defense was very fangio zone where we allow them to get yards but immediately tackle so as to prevent explosives. However unlike Vic, Vance seems to leave a lot of holes in the zone which would have looked worse if the Cards secondary wasn't out there. Our D certainly doesn't look like the more modern fluid style of Evero last year :/

That's another thing...we didn't look very good vs possibly the worst team in the leagues bench. We have some SEVERE kicker problems (no clue why we dropped our bread and butter dude). Lastly, I know it's only one game but my God, I hope this puts to rest the idea that Stidham will be taking over as starter this season.

Extra: Reading between the lines...Sean is pissed that we lost and our run game looked awful. He will be kicking some *** in the next practice 😀 

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

Soooo...I went way too hard watching this preseason game and this will be a horrifically non technical assessment. Anyway, here it goes...

Firstly, I LOVED that Sean kept the starters in until they showed signs of something. Second, I know some of you know I'm a long-time Spurs fan and this offense was very Tim Duncanesc. I consistently thought our offense was awful but then announcers would be talking fg. Basically, Sean knows how to get sneaky yards.

I also noticed nice TE designed plays with at least two leading to Dulcic wide open but wasn't found.

I was wondering if Russ might have that problem. Seans great at scheming TE's/Wr's open downfield but the QB has to find 'em.

Curious how DiNucci looked. He's kinda my "fun player, longshot but loves the game. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:54 PM, thebestever6 said:

unless it's play action russ doesn't look comfortable. 

agreed--and its amazing that this is the 2nd coach they have brought in here that try to jam a square peg into a round hole with Russ. Wilson for all intents and purposes is the posterchild for the Shannahan play-action, on the move, rolling out style of offense. He is quite literally one of the best in league history at it. Essentially Jake Plummer on steroids.

So the Broncos bring in the QB coach for Rodgers who is a West Coast pocket/timing style QB and Sean Payton who with Drew Brees made a living off quick/precise passing in the pocket as well? I cant think of 2 coaches who dont fit Wilsons style more than the guys calling plays for Rodgers/Brees.

I was really hoping Payton was going to completely alter the playbook from New Orleans to actually fit Wilsons strengths, but man...I didnt see a ton of it. Having Wilson try to hang in the pocket and making timing throws is idiotic, to be frank.

He also doesnt look comfortable because he has PTSD from his OL getting him killed if he doesnt release the ball immediately to his 1st option.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 8/11/2023 at 10:55 PM, germ-x said:

I loved the Drew Sanders pick.  He’s all athlete right now, though.  I’ve seen 3 plays where at the snap he’s just sitting on his heels clueless. 

I wonder if that's why he fell as far as he did in the draft. 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:09 PM, AKRNA said:

I think maybe the expectations for this team are running a bit high.

I am in on SP as the HC, but we need a talent shift on offense.  The defense has kept the team competitive, if you really think about it, for a while. The Broncos keep losing but it's not by much.  The offense needs to be overhauled.  I don't care, at this point, if they trade Jeudy, and whoever else.  I don't know of any other trade pieces you could give up that has any value.  Surtain, but he is our best player.  I don't know.  I think the Broncos are stuck until they can get something extreme like a #1 overall draft pick.