Broncos Training Camp / Preseason Thread

Broncofan

Before ppl ask why Purcell was restructured and then cut anyways - it's likely a procedural move.   In order to get the 3 guys on IR but be able to be recalled - they have to make the 53-man roster.   So ideally you cut 3 other guys, and if you don't find a better player on waivers - you can bring them back once the IR-return transactions are placed (K'waun Williams, maybe PJ Locke and Riley Moss sound like the 3, but no confirmation I've read - Jeudy isn't going on short-term IR).

So where does Purcell and Moreau fit in?  Both have 6+ service years - so when they are cut, they do NOT need to be put on waivers.  So you can cut them today, and once you have more space with short-term IR moves, you can re-add them.  Humphrey only has 3 years, but given he's depth, I expect he'll clear.

Now, if Paton & Payton have a better player in mind, maybe Humphrey & Moreau don't get re-claimed to the 53-man roster.  But I'd bank on Purcell returning - no reason to restructure last week if they weren't intending to bring him back.

On the flip side - I don't think we'll see Marquez Callaway or Tony Jones come back.    Jaleel Mclaughlin is clearly worth keeping, and Callaway showed absolutely nothing in camp scrimmages according to beat reporters, and certainly nothing in preseason games.    One of the misgivings in going to the NO well for depth, glad to see it wasn't the tiebreaker when deciding on guys like Mclaughlin &  receiver depth.

With our lack of depth at WR, I could easily see us putting in a claim on WR Denzel Mims. He's got the size and some speed which we could use, at the least a gap filler until Jeudy returns.

Couple of names wouldn't mind the Broncos adding to our Practice Squad, CBs Kyu Blue Kelly and/or Mekhi Garner plus RB Trey Sermon. Interested to see what 16 players end up there

Edited by Cutler06

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Thanks for my fantasy team name lol!

I would like to take credit for it.  But most of my family is from Louisiana, and while some are Cowboy fans, some are also Saints fans.  And those who are Saints fans said they were sad to see Lutz get traded; I guess he is big time in the clutch, thus the nickname, Big Nutz Lutz.  Nonetheless, you are right, it does make for a good fantasy football name. 

• Like 1

Lloyd Cushenberry keeps on hanging in there.  He has made it through three coaching changes, and two GM turns.  Is this guy one of these talented guys that the coaches have to keep in the starting line-up?  Are they just waiting for him to put it all together?  He keeps surviving, and not only that, he keeps maintaining his starting position.  

What is the story with this guy? 

• Like 2

Dorsett’s  a 6+- year vet so doesn’t need to clear waivers.    Humphrey likely headed to PS? 

EDIT: Dorsett a PS signing.  Still only 4 WR (including Jeudy) on 53-man roster.  Someone else (Humphrey?)  getting added back today. 

Edited by Broncofan

Cushenberry is still a surprise here, he never seems to get anything other than average reviews. Kinda feels more like he just adds to the chemistry of the OL than he does to the talent level. Was just as surprised as Wattenberg made the team, know he's got IOL versatility but he's always seemed like an old-regime JAG to me. 

Another thing that seems to implicate a move is coming is we only kept FOUR WRs, one being an injured Jerry Jeudy. Don't know if Dulcich is gonna "joker" his way into filling in while JJ recovers but I could see another WR being added regardless. *edit* Courtesy of Broncofan, looks like Phillip Dorsett coming in to help out.

On the defensive side, I was surprised to see Incoom make it over Patrick, who was one of our ST aces.  Definitely was thinking Incoom would make the PS, guess they didn't want him poached

Also, both S/CB have 6 players, probably 1-2 more than I though but KW will go on recallable IR with Moreau replacing him, but  they must've seen more in DT-Y than I did

Well we didn’t claim anyone off waivers.  I get part of it is system fit but NGL I’m disappointed we passed altogether.  

The one guy I worry we missed the boat on was Darius Rush.   Hate that KC claimed him.   4 years of rookie deal contract too.  

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well we didn’t claim anyone off waivers.  I get part of it is system fit but NGL I’m disappointed we passed altogether.  

The one guy I worry we missed the boat on was Darius Rush.   Hate that KC claimed him.   4 years of rookie deal contract too.  

I was a fan of K’Von Wallace in the draft last year, no idea how he played in 2022 though. But with 13 DB’s on the roster, I’m guessing that’s a group Payton feels good about.