2024 NBA Draft Discussion: Hawks, Wizards, Rockets and Spurs are 1-4.

Texansfan713

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not even sure exactly where Smart would fit. Is he starting over FVV? Jalen Green? Is Green starting at the 3? That's a super weird fit for them. 

Exactly.  Not to mention he can't shoot.  The team should not add another non-shooter to the roster.

With that being said, I read a report on twitter saying the Grizzlies are not shopping him and the 9th pick to move up to 3.  

19 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like Sheppard is more Jimmer Fredette than Malik Monk even.  We thought at least Jimmer would be a shooter but he couldn't get his shot off in the pros.  He shot decent percentages when he did but couldn't defend enough to stay on the court so only had more than 2 three pointers a game once in his career.  

I agree there is zero chance he goes 1, and probably shouldn't go top 5.  Problem is most guys in this class shouldn't go top 5.  

But I agree, the only teams who should worry about high floor are teams needing an instant impact role player.  

I don't think he's like either of those guys really.  They were both shot hunters.  "Microwave" type scorers you normally see come off the bench in the NBA, when they're that size.  I think Reed plays with more control, and offers a little more as a secondary ball handler.  He's more like a Jeff Hornacek or David Wesley type guy to me.  The highs might not be as high, but the lows aren't going to be as low either.  He'll give you more consistently steady play, imo, but won't have as much ability to erupt like those types can when they're feeling it and their shots are falling. 

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1 day before the draft I think the top 5 goes like this: 

1. Hawks - C Donovan Clingan, UConn

2. Wizards - C/F Alex Sarr, Perth

3. Rockets - G Reed Sheppard, Kentucky

4. Spurs - F Zaccharie Risacher, France

5. Pistons - F Matas Buzelis, G League 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I don't think he's like either of those guys really.  They were both shot hunters.  "Microwave" type scorers you normally see come off the bench in the NBA, when they're that size.  I think Reed plays with more control, and offers a little more as a secondary ball handler.  He's more like a Jeff Hornacek or David Wesley type guy to me.  The highs might not be as high, but the lows aren't going to be as low either.  He'll give you more consistently steady play, imo, but won't have as much ability to erupt like those types can when they're feeling it and their shots are falling. 

Jimmer wasn't expected to be a microwave bench scorer when he was a prospect.  He was a primary ballhandler who could play off ball and shoot lights out.  Here is a scouting report from Jimmer's draft year:

What sets Fredette apart from other shooters is his leadership abilities. He was the captain of his team in college and made some pretty amazing shots that carried his team to victory, but this is the pros. In order to succeed, he's going to need to work on his passing and his defense.

Given how he takes coaching well, this won't be a problem at all.

This sounds a lot like Reed who has a "high floor" because he shot 50% from three and will at least be a three point shooter.  Jimmer was supposed to be what Klay turned into and his career was short because of it. 

Monk was a top 12 pick who was projected top 8-10 by many and was expected to be the star SG for the Hornets. Here is what was said about Monk:

Monk’s three-point range, elite athleticism and ability to get himself open and stay give him a chance to be a star. His skill set is a bit more diverse than the perimeter scoring role he played so impressively at Kentucky. He’ll have a lot of learning to do in order to be a lead guard. If he’s not scoring, he’s not doing a ton for you at this stage, and he doesn’t have ideal length or strength to defend his position. But even if Monk is simply a scorer, he could be a great one, which gives him top-10 value.

Being a 6'3" SG that reads awfully similar to what Reed's scouting report sounds like. 

These are smaller guards who were great scorers in college in their roles but don't have the size or defensive ability to make up for their lack of size. 

Texansfan713 Final Mock Draft

1.  Hawks  Zaccharie Risacher SF France

2. Wizards  Alex Sarr   PF/C France

3.  Rockets   Reed Sheppard  G  Kentucky

4.  Spurs  Stephon Castle  G Uconn

5.  Pistons  Matas Buzelis F G-League

6. Hornets Donovan Clingan  C Uconn

7. Blazers Cody Williams  F Colorado

8. Spurs Tidjane Salaun F France

9. Grizzlies  Dalton Knect SF Tennessee

10. Jazz   Devin Carter  PG  Providence

11. Bulls  Rob Dillingham  PG Kentucky

12. Thunder  Ron Holland  F  G-League

13. Kings   Ja'Kobe Walter  SG  Baylor

14. Blazers  Zach Edey  C Purdue

15.  Heat   Nikola Topic  PG  Serbia

16.  Sixers  Isaiah Collier  PG  USC

17.  Lakers  Jared McCain G  Duke

18.  Magic  Kel'el Ware  C Indiana

19. Raptors  Tristan Da Silva F Colorado

20. Cavs  Kyshawn George  SG Miami

21.  Pelicans Yves Missi  C Baylor

22.  Suns  Tyler Kolek  PG Marquette

23.  Bucks  Johnny Furphy SG Kansas

24.  Knicks  Ryan Dunn  SF Virginia

25. Knicks  Carlton Carrington PG Pittsburgh

26.  Wizards  Terrence Shannon  SG  Illinois

27.  Wolves  Kyle Filipowski C Duke

28.  Nuggets  Daron Holmes PF Dayton

29.  Jazz  Tyler Smith  F G-League

30.  Celtics Jaylon Tyson  SG California

ten hours before the pistons draft him, i'd like to say i don't hink tidjane salaun is good at basketball. he doesn't have any discernible skills, he's closer to a non athlete than this world class athlete people think he is based on his frame, and he very, very clearly definitely doesn't think the game at a high level

20 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

ten hours before the pistons draft him, i'd like to say i don't hink tidjane salaun is good at basketball. he doesn't have any discernible skills, he's closer to a non athlete than this world class athlete people think he is based on his frame, and he very, very clearly definitely doesn't think the game at a high level

Gores seeing this

Anger Management Jack Nicholson GIF - Anger Management Jack Nicholson Yes -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

I normally would have been all over it in a draft like this where nobody excites me.  Its why I was all about Killian Hayes instead of Haliburton, ugh. And I was excited for the Sekou pick and that was worse than the Killian Hayes pick.  Those two have scared me from these international prospects with scouting reports like "raw but high upside".  We can't have another out of the league in three years top 10 pick.  

40 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I normally would have been all over it in a draft like this where nobody excites me.  Its why I was all about Killian Hayes instead of Haliburton, ugh. And I was excited for the Sekou pick and that was worse than the Killian Hayes pick.  Those two have scared me from these international prospects with scouting reports like "raw but high upside".  We can't have another out of the league in three years top 10 pick.  

Feels like those picks either become Greak Freaks or Frank Ntilikinas. No in-between.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Feels like those picks either become Greak Freaks or Frank Ntilikinas. No in-between.

And there are a lot more Ntilikina's than Greek Freaks.  Really other than Giannis, not many have worked out.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

you’d have to teach him how to dribble, shoot, and pass. you have to teach him how to process on both ends and he’s probably years away from doing that at an nba level

and even if he does all those things he’s still not even close to the level of athlete as giannis which is why that type of comparison is so off base

if they really want to take an upside swing just take matas or cody

• Like 1