Training Camp 2023

SemperFeist

Depending on one’s perception, four Vikings wideouts have jobs on lock — Justin Jefferson, K.J. Osborn, Jordan Addison, and Jalen Nailor. Here’s the full WR depth chart after Harry’s departure:

WR1: Justin Jefferson
WR2: K.J. Osborn
WR3: Jalen Nailor
WR4: Jordan Addison

WR5: Jalen Reagor
WR6: Brandon Powell
WR7: Blake Proehl
WR8: Trishton Jackson
WR9: Lucky Jackson
WR10: Thayer Thomas
WR11: Garett Maag
WR12: Jacob Copeland

Reagor didn’t set the world on fire in Year One with the Vikings, but he has produced a successful training camp and preseason in 2023. He can be reasonably considered the frontrunner for WR5. Then, fans wonder if Kevin O’Connell and Co. will keep five WRs — or expand to six. The franchise kept five last year heading into the regular season, but it’s a new year and a new team per personnel.

If Minnesota retains six wideouts, Reagor may be closer to a ‘lock’ for WR5, with Powell and Jackson fighting for WR6. Reagor and Powell also provide special teams experience, often valuable during roster shave-downs.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/vikings-final-wr-battle?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy

32 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why keep six with three TEs, two of which you are paying real money? I prefer the 5th WR be someone with upside, that hasn't been bad for several years.....

Agreed. The 5th WR either has to be a developmental player, or a core special teamer that fills multiple roles and can step in as an injury replacement quickly.

• Like 5

What would you guys think about keeping 6 WRs, 3 TEs, and only keeping Mattison, Chandler and Ham? In this scenario, I'd hope to sneak McBride on to the practice squad.

Nwangu just doesn't seem to add value anywhere other than KR, and that's a dying role. 

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

What would you guys think about keeping 6 WRs, 3 TEs, and only keeping Mattison, Chandler and Ham? In this scenario, I'd hope to sneak McBride on to the practice squad.

Nwangu just doesn't seem to add value anywhere other than KR, and that's a dying role. 

We've opened with only 2 RBs before but that was under different management.

I think we keep Nwangwu though.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nwangwu put on the PUP list to start the season.  I don't think you can put him on the 53-man roster when he hasn't even practiced in over a month.   

if they want him back this season, i think he has to go on the 53 first and then the PUP.

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

if they want him back this season, i think he has to go on the 53 first and then the PUP.

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That could be, I really have no idea how that works.  🤣

I believe VD is correct. 

At this point, I agree. You can't keep him on the 53 without a move to the PUP/IR. "Cut" McBride and tell him he'll be signed to the 53 later this week or add a veteran.

17 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And pray for no more injuries.

Sure. But teams only dress 8 OL on game day as it is. So it’s not that big of a deal. That 9th OL is usually a player that teams want to develop but don’t want to risk losing on the practice squad. With Lowe gone, I don’t see anyone worth that 9th spot. 

Which is why I said initial 53. I get the feeling that we could see another trade, and I won’t be shocked if they claim a few players off of waivers after cuts. 

There’s a very good chance that the 53 man roster they cut down to on Tuesday won’t be the same that they begin preparing for Tampa Bay with on Sunday. 

• Like 3