Eagles 2023 Training Camp Thread: It Begins

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

So Fresh and So clean clean clean

Always liked how them Jordan 1's looked, but always thought they felt like crap to actually play basketball in. They should make a football cleat version of the Kobe 8.

I've never been a shoe guy, but jordan 1s always looked awesome to me.

Also I'm still a blankensimp

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Im guessing you’re on your phone. The three dots, usually located to the right of the author of the tweet. Click those. Embed tweet pops up, click that. Copy the link, paste it here in comment bar and it’ll auto embed. 

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I’m on my phone (chrome), This is how I’ll probably post 95% of the time. For some reason this still isn’t working for me though, when I click the three dots it only gives me the option to share.

Edited by Jays3

4 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I’m on my phone (chrome), This is how I’ll probably post 95% of the time. For some reason this still isn’t working for me though, when I click the three dots it only gives me the option to share.

Try switching to desktop site when on your phone

On 8/11/2023 at 1:12 AM, Jeezla said:

Every LB spot is iffy, and Solid to Great isn't an option. Bad to Average is the range our group will fall under.

The CGJ role is just straight multi-tier downgrade, and the obvious weak link in our secondary. The bum we signed from Pittsburgh should probably gain 10 pounds and convert to WLB.

I also wouldn't call our CB room "super deep" just because most people know who Greedy Williams and Ringo and Jobe are from college. If either Bradberry or Slay go down, the outside CB replacing them is going to get Toastelio Hansen'd, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ringo and Jobe (And Garner) were better off as safeties. Slay is due for regression as well. Avonte played 10 games last year, and it was ugly at that spot whenever he was out. Is Josiah Scott still on the roster? I hope not. Our CB depth is pretty trash beyond the starters if you ask me. Well known trash, but still trash that's bound to get burned if/when they are forced into a starting role, just like Josiah Scott last year.

I don't really mind our LB's being hot garbage, probably because I'm just used to it ever since LII ended and our FO decided LB's don't matter anymore, but I do hope Howie trades for another talented outside CB, preferably under the age of 27. We're likely going to need him at some point this season, with that point being the playoffs, and we will almost definitely need him next season, because this should be Slay's last ride as a Top 20 CB. I don't really want Howie to draft a CB high next year either. He stinks at college CB scouting. Trade a 2nd for a solid young CB, like Jaylon Johnson on Chicago (This is probably the 7th time this offseason I've suggested this) or even a 1st if we can get another stud. Jaylon Johnson just makes so much sense based on his familiarity with Desai and the fact that Chicago sucks and needs early draft picks. Maybe we can sucker them into a Milton Williams for Jaylon Johnson deal, then sign Ioannidis on the cheap to replace Milton. Would give us a heck of a dime defense with Jaylon as the #4 CB this year, and the drop off at the #1 or #2 CB spot would be much much less with Jaylon getting plugged in opposite Slay or Bradberry compared to Greedy or Ringo or any other CB on our current roster filling in at that spot.

We shall see soon enough.

Howie's keeping a close eye on any of the "iffy" spots. If he thinks it's gonna be bad then he'll fix it before our first game. Zero concern over DL, Pass Rushers, CB or Blankenship. Not gonna play the what if injury game. That's every single player in the NFL especially big positions. 

When it's time for slay to walk away I believe Howie will make that trade you want. You're correct he has sucked badly during the draft at CB. Wouldn't mind taking JJ too from Chi

17 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If he thinks it's gonna be bad then he'll fix it before our first game.

I don't think Howie would pull off an LB trade prior to week 1. He doesn't value it enough. If we trade for an LB, it'll probably be the week of the trade deadline, and it won't be for a guy like Devin White, but someone you can get for a 4th or 5th.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

Thing is linebacker is starting to become an extinct position in the NFL. The position is not as valuable as it once was when teams ran 60% of the time. Now teams pass 60% of the time. This is why most teams “base” defensive package is nickel, subbing out a linebacker and bringing in a 5th defensive back. It used to be a question of “does your team run 3-4 or 4-3” because it was a forgone conclusion to have 4 DBs in most situations. That’s not really the case anymore. More often than not you are seeing 4-2-5, the only question is who’s covering where and who is blitzing.

For the linebacker position you don’t really need a thumper, a guy that can knock an offensive lineman on his *** to blow up a run at the line of scrimmage like a ray lewis type. In fact, I think ray lewis wouldn’t be as good in todays era (still really good I’m just not sure hall of fame worthy). The new era linebacker is usually fast, so he can cover more space, is good in coverage so he can shadow TEs and running back routes, and is at least a decent tackler. We have linebackers that fit that mold.

I wouldn’t say it’s a “position of strength” for the eagles but I don’t think it’s necessarily going to be a liability either.