Eagles 2023 Training Camp Thread: It Begins

Kiltman

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Garner was definitely someone I warmed up to later in the draft process. I didn't expect either him or Ricks to go undrafted.

He's someone I warmed up to like 3 days ago. I tend to just disregard DB's that don't get INT's.
I box score scout to figure out the guys I'm gonna scout scout, unless I randomly see them play live and get intrigued, so I paid no attention to/had no idea who Garner was until he was an Eagle.

Edited by Jeezla

7 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Why do you seem certain it's gonna take a step back? If anything it very well might improve.

Yes there's a bit of unknown but when you look at that unknown it's very very exciting. Carter, Nolan, Brown, all the LBs (Dean, Jack, Cunningham), Blankenship, Ringo and greedy as depth and a few other things. 

Losing Hargrave sucked but Davis/Carter should hold it down without an issue imo

The only way it improves is if complete unknowns play significantly better than expected. We are almost certainly set to regress which is fine and expected. That doesn't mean our defense will be terrible, but they won't be a top 5 D again.

9 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The only way it improves is if complete unknowns play significantly better than expected. We are almost certainly set to regress which is fine and expected. That doesn't mean our defense will be terrible, but they won't be a top 5 D again.

It's entirely possible they are a top 5 D again. Sacks or not. I don't think Gannon was very creative or good schematically. I think on any other team Gannon probably has a bottom half of the league defense.

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

Good news is that its looking like Greedy Williams wont make the team

That would be good news. Jobe is apparently playing like the top backup outside CB and is earning his spot this year and the young guys behind him seem to be making strides. Heard Ringo got some first team reps today as well. CB group hopefully could develop into some decent young backups.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's entirely possible they are a top 5 D again. Sacks or not. I don't think Gannon was very creative or good schematically. I think on any other team Gannon probably has a bottom half of the league defense.

I mean I hated Gannon as much as anyone but his style of defense was perfect for putting up numbers. Statistically our defense was incredible last year. If anything I would hope for a defense that is a bit less safe but able to have more impact in games vs top competition.

That said with our schedule this year and the big questions at Safety and LB I don't see our defense being top 5. If they can get into a top 10 range I would be really happy. Think top 12-14 is a relatively safe assumption though. If young guys can step up and exceed expectations, or if Desai is a genius DC they could perform at a top 5 level... but I am not putting my money on that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean I hated Gannon as much as anyone but his style of defense was perfect for putting up numbers. Statistically our defense was incredible last year. If anything I would hope for a defense that is a bit less safe but able to have more impact in games vs top competition.

That said with our schedule this year and the big questions at Safety and LB I don't see our defense being top 5. If they can get into a top 10 range I would be really happy. Think top 12-14 is a relatively safe assumption though. If young guys can step up and exceed expectations, or if Desai is a genius DC they could perform at a top 5 level... but I am not putting my money on that.

As boring as Gannon was, he was even more boring his 1st season as DC, and Desai probably isn't going to let it rip in year 1 either. New scheme and responsibilities, new terminologies to learn. I think a lot of people are assuming the vets and rookies will absorb a whole new defensive playbook, just because some of the concepts will be similar, but our defense will probably be out of the top 10 the first half of the season, then hopefully start to play to their talent level once they can do less thinking and more reacting closer to the playoffs, but it's gonna take time for all 11 players on D to really know what they are doing out there and make all the right audibles, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

As boring as Gannon was, he was even more boring his 1st season as DC, and Desai probably isn't going to let it rip in year 1 either. New scheme and responsibilities, new terminologies to learn. I think a lot of people are assuming the vets and rookies will absorb a whole new defensive playbook, just because some of the concepts will be similar, but our defense will probably be out of the top 10 the first half of the season, then hopefully start to play to their talent level once they can do less thinking and more reacting closer to the playoffs, but it's gonna take time for all 11 players on D to really know what they are doing out there and make all the right audibles, etc.

To be fair from what I have heard schematically this defense is going to be very similar, especially on the DL. I expect pretty much the same system on defense, but I definitely agree that it will take some time to gel. New DC, lots of young players and new faces. Gunna have to expect some lumps early.

21 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

lol What?

There's not a "bit of unknown" there's a ton of unknown. We may be a more deep but as of this day, none of the new starters are better than the guys they're replacing, not one. Well, maybe whoever replaces Kyzir. Our already declining CBs are one year older too.

Davis/Carter are not both replacing Hargrave, just Carter. And rookie DT don't come into the league dominating year one anyways. Saying those two should hold it down without an issue from a 11 sack DT is ridiculous.

We lost Gannon so we have that going for our defense. 

Sounds like you're not a betting man and that's fine. I'm willing to bet on Davis and Carter. Added bonus we even got Smith too. 

I'm not worried about bradberry. I can see the concern for slay but again willing to bet he's got another year in him

We're deeper but not as good... We'll see about that soon enough

All I asked was why.. not if my opinion was ridiculous. I think yours is ridiculous but willing to hear it out. 

Most said hurts was not gonna be what he is now. Most said that defense last year was gonna stink. Looks like we got another underdog story here 😂

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

13 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Thank you for the proper response. Asked you but got someone else. 

I rather have what we have now outside of the one safety spot. 

I did have concerns after the season but between everything this off season. I believe they can get there now. 

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

3 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Sounds like you're not a betting man and that's fine. I'm willing to bet on Davis and Carter. Added bonus we even got Smith too. 

I'm not worried about bradberry. I can see the concern for slay but again willing to bet he's got another year in him

We're deeper but not as good... We'll see about that soon enough

All I asked was why.. not if my opinion was ridiculous. I think yours is ridiculous but willing to hear it out. 

Most said hurts was not gonna be what he is now. Most said that defense last year was gonna stink. Looks like we got another underdog story here 😂

I didn't respond to your why, I responded to the bolded.

You say I'm not a betting man, but you stated "it might very well improve" as if there's a high probability for it. And point out Hurts success last season as some sort of validation when as it has been discussed a lot in here it was a super unlikely outcome one that even the team expected as evidenced by their actions. So what is it? Very well might be better than maybe the best statistically speaking defense in franchise history or there's a super unlikely chance it happens and I'm counting on it? 

Either way you got the answer as to why it is most likely to be worse from me and from Jeezla, tons of turnover and unknowns in players and coaching, not an improvement on the starters from last year and a drastically more difficult schedule. You keep saying Davis/Carter as replacement for the loss of Hargrave but only Carter is and he's a rookie. Davis was already here last year, so was Milton. Not to mention the jokes that are the LB and S units once again. 

Can it happen? Sure, anything can happen. It is just highly unlikely as compared to "it might very well" happen. 

If I had to make a prediction, I would say that statistically the Eagles defense will regress to some extent. It's possible however that the offense will be able to cover that up. I think people who have suggested it will take time to gel and there will likely be some early season hiccups are likely correct. My hope is by the second half of the season and the playoffs, the defense will be firing on all cylinders. New D-coordinator and new/young players in starting roles means that there will be some sort of learning curve happening this year on D. For so many reasons, it's way more likely the defense won't be as good or better (at least statistically) than last season. Again, this doesn't mean it can't be overcome by a great offense. The Eagles may have to win games with offense (especially early on) and not so much with a collective team victory, if that makes sense. 

QB: Hurts // Mariota
RB: Swift // Penny // Gainwell // Scott
WR: Brown // Watkins // Ngata
WR: Smith // Zaccheus
TE: Goedert // Stoll // Calceterra
LT: Mailata // Kelly
LG: Dickerson // Opeta
C| Kelce // Jurgens
RG: Jurgens // Steen
RT: Johnson // Driscoll // Steen

EDGE: Graham // Jackson
DT: Cox // Carter //Ojomo
DT: Davis // Williams // Tuipolotu
EDGE: Sweat // Barnett
SAM: Reddick // Smith
MIKE: Dean // Jack
WILL: Cunningham // Elliss
CB: Slay // Ringo // Garner
CB: Bradberry // Jobe
Nickel: Maddox // McPherson
S: Blankenship
S: Edmunds // Wallace // Brown 

Current Prediction. Though LB and Safeties may shift around starters.