Eagles 2023 Training Camp Thread: It Begins

Kiltman

27 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I don't see it.  Howie doesn't **** around when it comes to getting star players at premium positions extended.  I think an extension is coming by next off-season.  The only question is going to be term and how much gtd money he gets.

The only real question is how good Smith is going to be. Unless we’re running a lot more 3-4 looks, which could be the case, I don’t know if you’re going to keep Reddick around, limiting Smith’s snaps. He’d be a great trade chip if he does become expendable. But, I’d like to keep him around. Get all my best players on the field. 

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He’s 1 year into a 3 year deal. He can be aware all he wants. Next offseason is the earliest we start thinking about extending him or Sweat. 

There are certain lockerroom implications to rewarding guys. I get not paying people mid season on the same tier. But if Reddick is popping off again, he’s worth rewarding.

You rework next year and that $20m cap hit. Doing it this year let’s you either dump some into this years extra cap or make room if you are doing some moves.

Tear up 2024, extend him 2 more years so you can tune out paying Nolan if he undress hit as his eventual replacement. Best case you have two great rushers or can move Reddick for a pick.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

There are certain lockerroom implications to rewarding guys. I get not paying people mid season on the same tier. But if Reddick is popping off again, he’s worth rewarding.

You rework next year and that $20m cap hit. Doing it this year let’s you either dump some into this years extra cap or make room if you are doing some moves.

Tear up 2024, extend him 2 more years so you can tune out paying Nolan if he undress hit as his eventual replacement. Best case you have two great rushers or can move Reddick for a pick.

And if Sweat is also popping off? I'm paying Josh. He's homegrown. He's younger. He's a better run defender and still a great pass rusher. His game will age better.

I love Reddick for coming here, but it would make most sense if he's just a 1 contract player for us. I'd be willing to trade him for a nice little haul next offseason if he wants to be paid like a top 3-5 edge. I mean if we extend him and its at a good price for us then I won't be mad about it, but if he's asking for top of the market money, then I think I'm good walking away from that. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Sometimes I feel like Eagles fans think we can pay every player.

Giving Reddick a 15 million per year deal for 3 years in his athletic prime..... SMART.

Giving Hargrave a 13 million per year deal for 3 years in his athletic prime..... SMART.

Giving Hargrave a 21 million per year deal for 4 years in his 30s..... QUESTIONABLE.

Giving Reddick top of the market EDGE money for 3-4 years in his 30s.... QUESTIONABLE.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Sometimes I feel like Eagles fans think we can pay every player.

Giving Reddick a 15 million per year deal for 3 years in his athletic prime..... SMART.

Giving Hargrave a 13 million per year deal for 3 years in his athletic prime..... SMART.

Giving Hargrave a 21 million per year deal for 4 years in his 30s..... QUESTIONABLE.

Giving Reddick top of the market EDGE money for 3-4 years in his 30s.... QUESTIONABLE.

I think the issue is there’s a lot of assuming going on. Reddick’s not exactly a big guy. 240 or so. The prospect of him losing a step in a few years might not be all that damning. Plus 5 more years puts him on his 33 aged year. If he absolutely lost his abilities, shaking him on his last year shouldn’t be an issue. As far as I’m concerned, he’s really hitting his peak now. And I want that at a premium position. Players aren’t dumb, they know they have to capitalize when they are optimally performing. If I’m Howie, I’d keep him in green and risk the overpay for the year on the backend. It would be 4-5 years from now. The roster and the cap situation will be completely different by then. Predicting what happens in the NFL even in 2-3 years is a near uncertainty. Just think in 3 years, no Cox, BG, Kelce, Lane, Slay, Bradberry. And maybe we lose some others for whatever reason. That changes the whole landscape of the cap. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

And if Sweat is also popping off? I'm paying Josh. He's homegrown. He's younger. He's a better run defender and still a great pass rusher. His game will age better.

I love Reddick for coming here, but it would make most sense if he's just a 1 contract player for us. I'd be willing to trade him for a nice little haul next offseason if he wants to be paid like a top 3-5 edge. I mean if we extend him and its at a good price for us then I won't be mad about it, but if he's asking for top of the market money, then I think I'm good walking away from that. 

His knees however might not thou, always lingering in the background.

You try to pay your two top edges, so no real difference if they are performing.

The way I see it Reddick is a guy you plan to let walk. We have young guys behind him that will hopefully take his spot. He will be on the wrong side of 30 when you extend him. Pretty much the same exact situation as Hargrave imo. Probably will be a very effective player when he leaves, but he loses a lot of value if his age shows or when his $$$ number increases on a new deal. 2 more seasons of him at his current price point and let him walk imo.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The way I see it Reddick is a guy you plan to let walk. We have young guys behind him that will hopefully take his spot. He will be on the wrong side of 30 when you extend him. Pretty much the same exact situation as Hargrave imo. Probably will be a very effective player when he leaves, but he loses a lot of value if his age shows or when his $$$ number increases on a new deal. 2 more seasons of him at his current price point and let him walk imo.

2 more seasons at his current price point? lmao the wishful thinking is outstanding

19 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

2 more seasons at his current price point? lmao the wishful thinking is outstanding

Yea he’s not sitting idle on a contract year. Next off-season we’ll resign him or he’ll force himself out. There’s no in between. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Yea he’s not sitting idle on a contract year. Next off-season we’ll resign him or he’ll force himself out. There’s no in between. 

Lets see the numbers this year then we can see what happens. I seriously doubt his sack numbers will be anything close to what they were last year, and the defense as a whole is set to take a step back this year.

If he holds out, a reworked one year deal similar to what Hunter got would be smarter than just extending him imo. If he goes crazy and the only way we can keep him is to pay him long term it will probably be better to move him for a day 2 pick anyways. Can't pay everyone.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

Bugs me when guys complain about their pay relative to their peers, 1 year after agreeing to the deal- like T.O.
Were these guys gonna give money back if they didn't statistically exceed their contract value? Nope. Wait til year 3, then complain about being underpaid.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Lets see the numbers this year then we can see what happens. I seriously doubt his sack numbers will be anything close to what they were last year, and the defense as a whole is set to take a step back this year.

And if his numbers are another 16-18 sack season? He should be paid accordingly.  However with the drafting of Nolan Smith I'm 100% postive Howie is hoping he is the long term replacement. 

Same thing he thought of Barnett when BG was coming of age for an extension.  Here's hoping Smith is the real deal and not DB, or you pay Hassan for the player he is  and has been!

Edited by Nabbs4u

13 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

and the defense as a whole is set to take a step back this year.

Why do you seem certain it's gonna take a step back? If anything it very well might improve.

Yes there's a bit of unknown but when you look at that unknown it's very very exciting. Carter, Nolan, Brown, all the LBs (Dean, Jack, Cunningham), Blankenship, Ringo and greedy as depth and a few other things. 

Losing Hargrave sucked but Davis/Carter should hold it down without an issue imo

46 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Why do you seem certain it's gonna take a step back? If anything it very well might improve.

Yes there's a bit of unknown but when you look at that unknown it's very very exciting. Carter, Nolan, Brown, all the LBs (Dean, Jack, Cunningham), Blankenship, Ringo and greedy as depth and a few other things. 

Losing Hargrave sucked but Davis/Carter should hold it down without an issue imo

lol What?

There's not a "bit of unknown" there's a ton of unknown. We may be a more deep but as of this day, none of the new starters are better than the guys they're replacing, not one. Well, maybe whoever replaces Kyzir. Our already declining CBs are one year older too.

Davis/Carter are not both replacing Hargrave, just Carter. And rookie DT don't come into the league dominating year one anyways. Saying those two should hold it down without an issue from a 11 sack DT is ridiculous.

We lost Gannon so we have that going for our defense. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

3 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

lol What?

There's not a "bit of unknown" there's a ton of unknown. We may be a more deep but as of this day, none of the new starters are better than the guys they're replacing, not one. Well, maybe whoever replaces Kyzir. Our already declining CBs are one year older too.

Davis/Carter are not both replacing Hargrave, just Carter. And rookie DT don't come into the league dominating year one anyways. Saying those two should hold it down without an issue from a 11 sack DT is ridiculous.

We lost Gannon so we have that going for our defense. 

Yea, the only DT I've seen play as good or better as a rookie as Hargrave played last year was Suh and Donald. Our LB's are somehow even worse than last year on paper. We go from CGJ to fringe starters that are probably better off as backups (Until Sydney has some decent NFL experience under his belt). We also play better QB's and OL's this year.

Really the only thing we have going for us over last year is no Gannon and our DE depth is prob better, but for all we know Desai may be Gannon 2.0. 
2024 is when Carter and Sydney might truly replace the players that preceded them. This year we're just hoping they don't screw up too much and ideally show us a bit more than Jordan Davis and Nakobe did last year. Expecting Carter this year to 1 for 1 replace Hargrave is ludicrous.

I know Nolan Smith has looked good rushing the passer in camp, but I still feel like we'd get the most value out of him this year as our #2 off-ball LB next to Nakobe. 

Reddick---Cox/Davis---Carter/B Graham---Sweat
---------------Nolan-----Nakobe----------------
Bradberry---------Maddox----------Slay
-----Reed-----------------One of these bum safeties until Sydney is ready----

That should be our nickel D in likely to pass, but still might run situations.
Wont be surprised if at the end of the season, Mekhi Garner is our #3 safety, similar to how Reed worked his way into the #3 role last season. 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1