Where does Mahomes rank all-time today?

NeptunePenguins

If he were to just retire or something? I've seen anything from not top 10 (guy rated him below Aikman) to near the top of the list. From a award standpoint he has accomplish in 5 years stuff that many QBs haven't accomplish in their entire careers (including Hall of Famers). Playing in a more pass friendly era helps, but even compared to his peers what he is doing is pretty amazing. However, he doesn't have the shear bulk stats that basically everyone else he is compared to has, and for some players like Brees, Favre, and Marino that was a good dent of their argument for their fans rating them so high. 

Edit: Decided to delete the old list since eh I disagreed, and the more people I talked to the worse it honestly looked. Was supposed to be an average, but honestly the sample size was pathetically small. 

Edited by NeptunePenguins

Right now? If he had to stop playing today, he'd rank top 5, but he's likely just a season or two from being in the top 3.

The dude's resume is just insane, even in the QB-friendly modern era.

50 TDs? Check.

5K season? Check, check.

MVP? Check, check.

Add in 5 AFCCG appearances, 3 SB appearances, 2 SB wins, and 2 SBMVPs...in 5 seasons as the starter (6 years in the NFL).

That's just nuts man. Throw in that his defense was at best good and at worst meh most years, and that he's done it with a stable of different receivers (minus Kelce), it just gets even more impressive.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Mahomes is already way above Elway for me. As many rings and much more instrumental in them. There are actually a lot of guys I’d take way before Elway.

Mahomes didn't have to play with Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips though as HC's in unremarkable offenses and bereft of talent even for it's time. I mean Sammy Winder? Ricky Natitel? Vaughn Johnson??? Not exactly gamebreakers. Elway didn't get a legit receiver until he was 30 when the Broncos signed Anthony Miller. I'd probably rank Mahomes higher on his sandlot ability that seems to work out in his favor more than it should, but Mahomes was put in a much more favorable situation. Just saying. 

To be honest I see Mahomes as another Fran Tarkenton except with two rings thus far. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Gonna just ignore the really old ones for this list, since no one talks about them anyways. 

Naw dawg you can't dismiss the OGs like that. Unitas should absolutely be on any top 10 QBs of all-time list along with Otto Graham, and Sammy Baugh. People can't help when they were born. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Tbh the list above was my attempt at making a so called "consensus" list based off what I've seen off the internet, media heads, and such. Plus one reason why the old guys were left off is due to the fact I rarely ever see any QBs older than Montana on people's top ten list for better or worse. My own list (don't really have one ngl) honestly I wouldn't rank Mahomes rn due to just the shear youngness of him, though based on his peak and his accomplishments alone he would rank very high if I had to, and honestly I do disagree with some of the top 10 list above. I've seen everything from not top 10 yet to like already near the top. Though this thread was made since I wanted to see well opinions here. Might also make some other threads in the future (the powerback thread was one idea I had but it was already made lol) 

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Right now? If he had to stop playing today, he'd rank top 5, but he's likely just a season or two from being in the top 3.

The dude's resume is just insane, even in the QB-friendly modern era.

50 TDs? Check.

5K season? Check, check.

MVP? Check, check.

Add in 5 AFCCG appearances, 3 SB appearances, 2 SB wins, and 2 SBMVPs...in 5 seasons as the starter (6 years in the NFL).

That's just nuts man. Throw in that his defense was at best good and at worst meh most years, and that he's done it with a stable of different receivers (minus Kelce), it just gets even more impressive.

In a vacuum based on peak performance, talent, stats, and accomplishments I agree mostly yeah. Personally I think he is just missing longevity for the formality of it all atm. I think in 5 more years time we will see where he could rank, which is anywhere from 5 to 2 based on what he does. Worst case he goes to Favre/Marino route and doesn't have anymore accomplishments (MVPs/Rings) for the next five years, or god forbid for his sake, his entire career. Then again Favre/Marino didn't receive anymore MVPs/rings after the early part of their careers still get put in the top 10 consistently so meh. Best case his next 5 years are even better than his first and probably slides in the top 2 pretty easily within his first 10 years starting. 

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Mahomes didn't have to play with Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips though as HC's in unremarkable offenses and bereft of talent even for it's time. I mean Sammy Winder? Ricky Natitel? Vaughn Johnson??? Not exactly gamebreakers. Elway didn't get a legit receiver until he was 30 when the Broncos signed Anthony Miller. I'd probably rank Mahomes higher on his sandlot ability that seems to work out in his favor more than it should, but Mahomes was put in a much more favorable situation. Just saying. 

To be honest I see Mahomes as another Fran Tarkenton except with two rings thus far. 

I despise Elway and give him zero credit or respect 

• Like 3

If Mahomes were to retire today, I'd say just inside top 10.  He's about 3-4 years away from solidified top 5 assuming nothing drastic changes.  Longevity does matter when talking about all time lists.  He does this 10 more years, then he's a solidified top 3, and not necessarily 3.  The Brady bar is high with 7 rings.

14 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Hard to say since most all great QBs had pretty long careers. I don't know the QB comp to Gale Sayers or Terrell Davis.

Otto Graham and Staubach had "short" careers of about 10 years. Andrew Luck had a short career but obviously is not an all time great. 

Steve Young would be close, by QB standards.  Kurt Warner a little; he has that weird lull right in the middle, but he was a 1st ballot HoF'er based off what he did in 6 years pretty much.

Honestly, I think if he retired today, he would get the Koufax treatment where you have:

A) a select group of folks who will never be able to top-5 him because of the short career.
B) a select group of folks who crown him above Brady because "if you expand his career trajectory"
C) a majority of folks who sit in the middle and have him somewhere in the top 7ish (I'll say 4 personally atm behind Brady, Manning, Montana, but im biased obv).

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Steve Young would be close, by QB standards.  Kurt Warner a little; he has that weird lull right in the middle, but he was a 1st ballot HoF'er based off what he did in 6 years pretty much.

Ah yes, the late-bloomer QBs. Young still played 15 years in the NFL. Warner is a good call, only played 12 years. Both retired at 38. 

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ah yes, the late-bloomer QBs. Young still played 15 years in the NFL. Warner is a good call, only played 12 years. Both retired at 38. 

Warner only started 116 games to Mahomes 80. So the difference actually isn't that big.

• Like 2