Preseason game #1 49ers vs Raiders-Gameday thread

49erurtaza

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he'd be a good fit for coryell / Martz / arians

Agreed. Even the other branches of this Shanahan tree wouldn't be the worst. The whole old Titans / new Falcons tree looks like exactly what Lance would prefer to be doing, complete with a QB run element to keep the defense honest. The deeper crossers for Lance look better than the skinny posts and short digs and such. So the Bills scheme that Daboll drew up for Josh Allen also makes sense. That whole offense was built first on verticals and deep crossers. 

• Like 4

Game 1, not a lot to be excited about. Feels like the whole week in Vegas was a bust, but Im not there so who knows what the staff went there looking to accomplish. I would assume Darnold will get the lions share next game and Lance only getting a quarter.

- Lance looked indecisive, but had guys in his face a lot. Doesnt appear to trust what he sees, but the talent flashes and makes you excited about the prospect

- Darnold is still Same Darnold. He makes throws that are impressive and then randomly sails a ball that has no chance over an open receiver.

- Nick Zajkel was awful. Hopefully it was a one off, but man he was on skates all game. 

- The reserve O lineman lack any real talent or prospects. Poe was a mess, Feliciano was bad, Jaylon Moore feels like hes been here for 30 years and hasn't improved. This team needs to look for players after cuts and pray nobody gets hurt.

- Jayir Brown looked fast

- Latu......man o man

- It's time to cut Javon Kinlaw. He offers nothing. Athletic freak and profile be damned, he is constantly moved with ease.

- D Line depth looks to be an issue as well. 

This team looked tired. Maybe that is the issue, but from what we know and saw they got manhandled all week. 

• Like 1

😤 Those who sucked: 

1. Trey Lance. Why are we making excuses for him? This is his 3rd year. He has had at least 2 full camps (his first was the arm fatigue and figure issue).  Seeing the field and getting the ball out on time are STILL issues with him. And then there's accuracy... Aidan O'Connell looked better and he is a rookie?!

2. Yes, the OL was trash. But Kyle's system will mitigate that--IF you know it and make the right decisions (talking to you, Trey Lance!)

3. Latu. I will leave it at that. 

4. Interior DL. It wasn't good for most of the game. 

🤩 Those who showed promise:

1. Any QB not named Trey Lance. 

2. Fumagali. It's 1 preseason game, but perhaps we have a potential 2nd receiving TE?!

3. Jayir Brown. Sooooo pumped about our 1st pick of this draft. 

4. Jamison. Nice returns, rookie.  

3 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

What are we doing here? Lol

People are crazy. We made it to the NFC championship game last year, added better players, and freak out and make stuff up like this when the first preseason game doesn't go our way. It's wild to me.

It's the first pre-season game where NONE of the starters played  so I won't hyperventilate over it.

But the biggest takeaway for me was Lance & the O-Line depth.

Pryor moves like a OG....needs to be inside.

Felianco looks a little stiff for center in this scheme. He has to either be comp for Buford@RG or back-up both guards spots imo.

Poe didn't play well but he's not a LG. I just thought that was odd placement for him BUT if there's a time where you want to get guys out of their comfort zone and see how they respond, the first pre-season game would be the time to do it.

Lance just doesn't look comfortable here. I'm coming around to the fact that this isn't the scheme/coach that will get the best out of his skillset. SUCKS that both Kyle & John completely whiffed with that call but Purdy's presence helps lessen the blow some. Nevertheless, the short-game is not his wheelhouse and that is a HUGE part of this offense, as it's an extension of the run game. His movement in and around the pocket still lacks fluidity and rhythm. Everything from him still looks disjointed and robotic. I'd like to be wrong but I just don't see how it works out for him here. 

Should have picked Fields -_-