San Francisco names Sam Darnold backup, exploring trade market for Trey Lance

Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I revised my answer to be clear - don't think Purdy's the next guy you don't look to upgrade on, so I don't think injury factors in.  I realize you're qualifying your statement on his performance, just so we're clear.

I definitely don't think that he's a franchise altering guy or anything. Honestly, I'm not so sure how many teams he starts for outside of SF. But if he does the Jimmy thing and puts up efficiency in line with guys like Carr and Kirk for 900K a year, I think that they will just stick with it. 

But Shanny is this generation's Jon Gruden, tbh. I think he's going to fall in and out of love with QBs every couple of years. Wouldn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Oof, the 3 1sts end up being a big L for Lynch/Shanny.

And the players drafted after Lance…

Kyle Pitts

Ja'Marr Chase

Jaylen Waddle

Penei Sewell

Jaycee Horn

Patrick Surtain II

DeVonta Smith

Justin Fields

Micah Parsons

Rashawn Slater

…yeesh.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Chris Cooley and Kyle Shanahan are pretty close. After the trade was made Cooley said it was for Mac Jones. I still find that hard to believe but considering the hell Kyle went through with RG3 I didn't see drafting a sort of similar style player in Lance who needed a lot of work making sense for him. So I think they moved up for Mac and as things got closer they pivoted to Lance. 

He said before the draft that he was looking for a guy that was a basically a combo of Lamar Jackson and Drew Brees (lol). 

After he got torched on Monday night football by Josh Allen, he realized he needed to have that type of QB that could be top 5 in the league and he's mentioned the impact that performance had on him a couple of times.  He's pretty much publicly stated all of this, but I don't think that he can commit to what he wants to do. The problem is that Shanny doesn't have the discipline or patience to develop a QB.

This is a quote from Joe Banner last week who worked with Shanny in Atlanta regarding the Trey Lance situation and specifically kyle shanahan. Tell me this isn't pretty accurate with what you're seeing lol:  

"He’s a very emotional guy & tends to be a fairly short term thinker. Once you get in his dog house it's really hard to get out. Knowing the way Kyle is wired, its' really hard for me to picture how they could ever just get back to a really good, positive place supporting each other. So that leaves me with a rather simplistic view that if they can find another place, give Trey a chance to showcase what they thought he could be in the draft, but Kyle has made his bet on the other guys...Once he gets down on a player, it's just very hard to get him back into a place where he's objective about it". 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

And the players drafted after Lance…

Kyle Pitts

Ja'Marr Chase

Jaylen Waddle

Penei Sewell

Jaycee Horn

Patrick Surtain II

DeVonta Smith

Justin Fields

Micah Parsons

Rashawn Slater

…yeesh.

To be fair, SF had the 12 pick, and with their LB corps, who knows if they take Parsons or not at 12.

But given they had OL issues, Slater at 12, no argument....yuck #1.

Then they keep 2022 1.29 - given their 1st pick was a DE, they could have gone Karlaftis at 1.29.

Then with 2023 1.29 - given S was their top pick, could have had Brian Branch.

OBV it's all hindsight...but yeah, it hurts.   It really backs up what @Forge alluded to earlier - it's amazing they were that good despite the R1 misfires (some of it wasn't easily avoidable, but a lot was).....but they could have been AMAZING with even just a few R1 hits (Bosa was a no-brainer pick).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Kyle not speaking today. Some hoe sh/t 

Yes he is, just not here. He's going on KNBR at 4:50. Because Shanny likes to do this sort of crap.

Freaking awful look having Fred Warner up there answering questions about it though. 

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Don’t care about radio. Didn’t stand up at the podium after practice. 

Yeah, Warner having to deal with that is rough. 

Shanny is a great offensive mind....I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like the dude even a little. 

****edit*

oh ffs....the radio segment is even pre-taped and edited. 

jfc 

FWIW, I think Lance's most likely career path, unless a team like MIN totally commits to developing him or a team like TAM just bails on the 2023 season and lets him play (and watch the growing pains galore), ends up on the XFL/USFL path - and then a potential for Geno Smith-like revival, if he shows signs of success in year 2 there.  If there was anyone who needs a developmental league to learn, it's Lance.  

You give him 600-700 reps, then you see what you have in him.   If that had happened in college or in year 2, OK.   But tough to see that kind of commitment from NFL teams now that he's in year 3.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

3 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don't understand, I thought he looked good in pre-season and was told he was doing very good at practice.

Time to bring out this oldie...

On 5/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, Forge said:

Don't worry, I have you covered. I crafted this handy flow chart to keep track of which QBs the organization likes

Go here if you are a 49ers QB; Are you Trey Lance; The 49ers like you; The 49ers don't like you | image tagged in flowchart | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, Warner having to deal with that is rough. 

Shanny is a great offensive mind....I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like the dude even a little. 

****edit*

oh ffs....the radio segment is even pre-taped and edited. 

jfc 

This is an awful look.   If you demand accountability from players as a HC/GM, you have to stand up and face the music when it's your turn.   That's just terrible optics.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

This is an awful look.   If you demand accountability from players as a HC/GM, you have to stand up and face the music when it's your turn.   That's just awful optics.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a live radio thing where he would answer some real questoins, which I wouldn't have minded. 

This is brutal.