Jets WR Corey Davis retires

Forge

We are a Garrett Wilson injury away from reviving the Green Bay WR / TE corps (OK, would need Tyler Conklin to go down too).

It's crazy that A-Rod's biggest complaint was that the FO didn't do enough to upgrade the GB WR/TE corps, but he's going to end up with same actors on his team.   

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We are a Garrett Wilson injury away from reviving the Green Bay WR / TE corps (OK, would need Tyler Conklin to go down too).

It's crazy that A-Rod's biggest complaint was that the FO didn't do enough to upgrade the GB WR/TE corps, but he's going to end up with same actors on his team.   

Except with a elite defense backing him up. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYJets4716 said:

No argument there, and don't get me wrong, Garrett Wilson is fantastic, elite WR ceiling and already close to realizing that (so Corey Davis was literally just a supporting cast member), but you have to admit the irony on A-Rod's WR/TE corps now being GB V2 (plus Garrett Wilson) is pretty delicious.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No argument there, and don't get me wrong, Garrett Wilson is fantastic, elite WR ceiling and already close to realizing that (so Corey Davis was literally just a supporting cast member), but you have to admit the irony on A-Rod's WR/TE corps now being GB V2 (plus Garrett Wilson) is pretty delicious.  

We might be deeper at TE too. We don't have a star there but we have a bunch of guys who can play. Any team loses a difference maker like Garrett will find it hard to replace. Garrett makes football look easy. I think our WRs as they are now are solid. Especially with the RBs we have. 

APparently Corey Davis was talking about retiring before camp, something is going on with his personal life or he just doesn't have the heart to do it anymore. As a Jet he was always a good WR, just would get injured often. But when he played he was a good player. 

Edited by NYJets4716

25 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

And the fact that Garrett Wilson is the best WR he's ever really had. I think he has a fine set of guys to work with. The problem isn't what he's surrounded with--it's that he is no longer the megastar that he was in Green Bay. He's very good, but I don't think we're going to see anything beyond "very good" from him. His days of being amazing are probably behind us, if we're just being real.

Will the surrounding talent be enough? Time will tell, but I think they're good enough to be a playoff team that wins some games. That said, in a loaded AFC, some loaded teams are gonna be watching from home.

6 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Was so convinced when Corey Davis was coming into the league that he would have been a stud. Was even more excited when the Titans drafted him. Should have drafted Mahomes. Womp womp. 

I compared him to Andre Johnson. Was absolutely in love with his game & somehow it didn't translate at all. He was ok when healthy, but always underwhelming.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I compared him to Andre Johnson. Was absolutely in love with his game & somehow it didn't translate at all. He was ok when healthy, but always underwhelming.

Right? I saw him being a big-bodied possession god with the capability of occasionally taking the top off the defense a la Terrell Owens or Andre. And the thing is -- there were genuinely days where he looked like that guy. But consistency and availability were always issues with him throughout his career. I'm not trying to throw shade on the guy. Respect for what he did for the Titans, but I definitely thought with the kind of money the team would have had to pay to keep him around, it was probably best for both sides to let Davis go to New York for the big money he was looking for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Did I imagine Davante Adams?

Recency bias.   It seems like eons ago that Adams and he played together.   Back then, he dated normal women, and was only "somewhat" flaky/diva-ish (like many great QB's, ego is part of the package, but it's been quite a ride the last 2 offseasons).

• Like 3