The Week 1 CFB Thread: Harbought the wrong burger

MikeT14

Just now, beekay414 said:

But if it's the difference between 3-9 and 4-8, what's it matter?

The game doesn't matter for the standings or anything, and both teams suck, but they can still complain about it.

And the refs should be reprimanded, they can't get 6 point replays wrong. Not that it matters or there would be any change, but Nebraska deserves documentation that they got screwed.

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The hype. It's always the hype. He's got non @jrry32 Florida fans fooled all over the Twitter.

Because his numbers look decent, some Gators fans are trying to claim he played well. He did not. The goal of the game is to score points, which requires first downs. Mertz checking down constantly on important downs instead of pushing the ball down the field crippled the offense for much of the game. And his situational awareness was so terrible. He wasn't the ONLY problem, but he was certainly part of the problem. Not an inspiring start to his UF career. 

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The game doesn't matter for the standings or anything, and both teams suck, but they can still complain about it.

And the refs should be reprimanded, they can't get 6 point replays wrong. Not that it matters or there would be any change, but Nebraska deserves documentation that they got screwed.

Say what you will, but I also cannot understate the importance and value of getting over the hump in the W column when you’re bad and gaining momentum to gradually right the ship.

I don’t mean returning to the 90s, but I do mean turning into an 8-10 win caliber program sooner rather than later and fighting for the B1G West with Wisconsin and Iowa in the short term and then maybe catching lightning in a bottle and beating USC in a classic ugly rain/wind/snow game in November in the next few years.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Say what you will, but I also cannot understate the importance and value of getting over the hump in the W column when you’re bad and gaining momentum to gradually right the ship.

I don’t mean returning to the 90s, but I do mean turning into an 8-10 win caliber program sooner rather than later and fighting for the B1G West with Wisconsin and Iowa in the short term and then maybe catching lightning in a bottle and beating USC in a classic ugly rain/wind/snow game in November in the next few years.

For sure, we're in exactly the same position with a first year HC. I'd rather get screwed out of 2 wins next year and get an 11-1 season this year with the crootin boost and general momentum along with it than lose a cheap one this year and end up ranked 8 spots lower than we should be. It's dumb but that matters.

And don't get me wrong, I get it, Nebraska is an endlessly funny punching bag and they choked it exactly like they always have. But even if the game matters for nothing but pride, they also got screwed and should get free reign to to complain about it for the year. Them's the rules.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For sure, we're in exactly the same position with a first year HC. I'd rather get screwed out of 2 wins next year and get an 11-1 season this year with the crootin boost and general momentum along with it than lose a cheap one this year and end up ranked 8 spots lower than we should be. It's dumb but that matters.

And don't get me wrong, I get it, Nebraska is an endlessly funny punching bag and they choked it exactly like they always have. But even if the game matters for nothing but pride, they also got screwed and should get free rein to to complain about it for the year. Them's the rules.

There’s no reason why Nebraska can’t at worst be an Iowa State and it’s reasonable to expect a potential height of a Penn State or Wisconsin caliber program. Perennial Top 25, once every 5 years compete for a B1G Title, and every year be relevant in your division and compete for that division title.

From there, perhaps they even get some sort of semblance of recruiting and MAYBE do better in a playoff expansion era. 

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There’s no reason why Nebraska can’t at worst be an Iowa State and it’s reasonable to expect a potential height of a Penn State or Wisconsin caliber program. Perennial Top 25, once every 5 years compete for a B1G Title, and every year be relevant in your division and compete for that division title.

From there, perhaps they even get some sort of semblance of recruiting and MAYBE do better in a playoff expansion era. 

With realignment and the money difference in CFB, their geography and money situation starts to look more appealing. They won't compete with Texas, OU, or national kids, but they have an advantage over the Utah, Colorado, ISU, and TCU types that they didn't before. They should aggressively target transfers from those types of programs.

Will that offset having a really bleak in-state recruiting setup and a toxic cycle of high expectations leading to brain drain? Probably not entirely, but something is better than nothing.

And if I was a Nebraska fan after 20 years of CFB landscape and geography and money beating my team up, yeah I'd be pretty pissed if the money winds finally blew in my team's favor only to have the refs step in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Because his numbers look decent, some Gators fans are trying to claim he played well. He did not. The goal of the game is to score points, which requires first downs. Mertz checking down constantly on important downs instead of pushing the ball down the field crippled the offense for much of the game. And his situational awareness was so terrible. He wasn't the ONLY problem, but he was certainly part of the problem. Not an inspiring start to his UF career. 

I'll say this about Mertz, he does look good sometimes because he throws a pretty ball. But man, his awareness is so frustrating. There were multiple opportunities yesterday when Utah straight-up didn't cover one of our guys for like 5-10 seconds pre-snap before realizing they had screwed up. And Mertz never capitalized once. All we had to do was snap the ball and throw the ball out to the uncovered player. It would have been a big play. I'm talking the HB split out wide with nobody within 10 yards of him or the WR in the slot with nobody close to him. With the starting experience he has, there's no excuse for not seeing it, yet he somehow didn't. (He also didn't spot blitzes and took some unnecessary sacks.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'll say this about Mertz, he does look good sometimes because he throws a pretty ball. But man, his awareness is so frustrating. There were multiple opportunities yesterday when Utah straight-up didn't cover one of our guys for like 5-10 seconds pre-snap before realizing they had screwed up. And Mertz never capitalized once. All we had to do was snap the ball and throw the ball out to the uncovered player. It would have been a big play. I'm talking the HB split out wide with nobody within 10 yards of him or the WR in the slot with nobody close to him. With the starting experience he has, there's no excuse for not seeing it, yet he somehow didn't. (He also didn't spot blitzes and took some unnecessary sacks.)

Talking to yourself to convince yourself he isn't crap. Lol. I do have a LITTLE faith it'll get better. He's basically a meme before he even played for us so it was going to be easy to pile with anything he did wrong. I still think he sucks and I hate it though. 

Edited by Norm

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Talking to yourself to convince yourself he isn't crap. Lol. I do have a LITTLE faith it'll get better. He's basically a meme before he even played for us so it was going to be easy to pile with anything he did wrong. I still think he sucks and I hate it though. 

I've watched Treon Harris, Luke Del Rio, and Austin Appleby, so I'm not ready to say he's crap yet, having seen that crap. But he needs to be a lot better in future games.

• Like 1