2023 College Football Thread

Norm

Sources: Coach Nick Saban, who won 6 titles at Alabama, retiring

ESPN Jan 10, 2024, 05:16 PM ET

Nick Saban, considered among the greatest college football coaches of all time who won six national titles at Alabama, is retiring, sources told ESPN's Chris Low on Wednesday.

Saban, 72, just completed his 17th season at Alabama, which ended in a loss to eventual national champion Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

"I've always said that if you're thinking about retirement, you're probably already retired, and I'm not there yet," Saban told ESPN in November.

52 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wow, Michigan retired Nick Saban. 

I think the NIL and transfer portal retired him. College football is in a strange place to be honest. 

Plus, he's 72 years old. Go enjoy the rest of your life. 

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Seven years of college football. This is some bull**** to allow a kid to play college for 7 years. Will the kid have a doctorate when he 'retires' from college football or still working on his undergrad degree. 

QB Casey Thompson commits to Oklahoma, 4th school in 7 years - ESPN

Why? This year was his final season and he tore his ACL early so he was eligible for a medial waiver. You don't get to be on a college roster for 7 seasons without multiple medical hardship waivers. I'm sure the kid would've much rather been done in 4-5. 

• Like 1

Why would/should anyone care how long someone plays at the college level?  Do we still not recognize that NCAA football is 100% a business?  Thompson was already playing as a grad student this past season.  Another year of free tuition.  Good for him.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Why? This year was his final season and he tore his ACL early so he was eligible for a medial waiver. You don't get to be on a college roster for 7 seasons without multiple medical hardship waivers. I'm sure the kid would've much rather been done in 4-5. 

Why? Because at some point you need to get on with your life. College was supposed to a a 4-year experience, 5 with a red shirt. Now they keep adding rules to extend it to 6, 7 years. 

Life is tough sometimes and you don't always get to dictate the ending you desire. I'm sure next year he will have a press conference and announce he's retiring from college football, but he's going to stay in school and finish his undergraduate degree. 

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Why? Because at some point you need to get on with your life. College was supposed to a a 4-year experience, 5 with a red shirt. Now they keep adding rules to extend it to 6, 7 years. 

Life is tough sometimes and you don't always get to dictate the ending you desire. I'm sure next year he will have a press conference and announce he's retiring from college football, but he's going to stay in school and finish his undergraduate degree. 

He already has a master's and is going to go for his second.

• Like 1

College football really has become the wild west.  It's become what the NFL would be with everyone on single year contracts and no franchise tag.

Alabama transfer wide receiver Isaiah Bond has committed to Texas, which he called a "business decision" in the wake of coach Nick Saban's retirement.

"Just like the business world, you make the best decision for your company," Bond told ESPN in a phone interview Sunday. "My company right now is my draft stock. I feel like I'm putting myself in position to increase that and have better draft stock."

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

College football really has become the wild west.  It's become what the NFL would be with everyone on single year contracts and no franchise tag.

Good for him.  Alabama needs a better QB to keep high tier WR in the fold