Duck's Mock Draft 1.0

Da_Ducktator

Wanted to throw out my first Mock Draft of the year with brief explanations with the college football regular season over. No trades (really don't like to project those, this is already a big enough guessing game as it is this early). All comments are welcome.

1. Cleveland Browns - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA

• Boatload of problems with this team, most glaring being quarterback as DeShone Kizer has been a turnover machine. Rosen has been up-and-down this year but is ultimately reminiscent of Matt Ryan.

2. New York Giants - QB Sam Darnold, USC

• Doing their best to match the Browns in ineptitude lately, this is another team with a bunch of problems but a future replacement for Eli is needed for a franchise that doesn't pick this high often.

3. San Francisco 49ers - EDGE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

• 49ers had Myles Garrett, Solomon Thomas, and Reuben Foster atop their board last year. They clearly love defensive difference makers and while Barkley would aide Jimmy Garoppolo and the offense, they rank tied for seventh-to-last in sacks this year. John Lynch knows well that defense wins championships.

4. Denver Broncos - RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State

• I am not sure Denver can afford to use another selection on a QB after wasted picks on Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch. I expect them to throw money at somebody in free agency and if Barkley falls, take a big-time talent in Barkley.

5. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

• This team simply cannot get after quarterbacks and has a decent amount of holes on defense outside of Jonathan Hankins and Malik Hooker. Ferrell dominated in the CFB playoffs last year and another January performance like that could cement him as a top 10 pick at worse.

6. Chicago Bears - WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

• This team showed last year they are willing to reach on need. Mitch Trubisky needs weapons and while it's debatable if Ridley even belongs 1st round, let alone top 10, he has shown the ability to get open against SEC talent.

7. Cleveland Browns (from Houston) - S/CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

• If Fitzpatrick fell likes this, you would have to assume that the Browns need to jump all over it. 0-12 teams simply cannot pass on a second attempt at a defensive back like Minkah.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - RB Derrius Guice, LSU

• Bucs front office has shown a desire to continue to surround Jameis Winston with weapons. Guice fills an immediate need.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - DT Vita Vea, Washington

• Andy Dalton has quietly gotten back to being efficient lately, and the Bengals showed last year they value front seven play with investing in Carl Lawson and Jordan Willis during the draft. The Bengals are giving up the fifth-most rushing yards this year and Geno Atkins is a free agent after 2018. Vea is a freak who flashes dominant potential.

10. Arizona Cardinals - QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

• Blaine Gabbert has been solid but it's hard to buy Arinas comments that he would be comfortable with Gabbert as the future. Allen has major potential and could be a good investment down the road for the Cards.

11. New York Jets - CB Josh Jackson, Iowa

• An extra 2nd rounder could mean this is a prime team to watch for in a trade up for a quarterback (Darnold specifically), but for now, they add a cornerback. The Jets have given up 24 TD's through the air and nabbed just 10 INT's. Nearly all their CB's are on prove it deals and based on what they have currently assembled, they seem to love decent size at the position. Jackson has the type of ball skills that could help this secondary a lot.

12. Washington Redskins - OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

• The Redskins invest heavily in the trenches and if a talent like Nelson fell to them after the boatload of O-Line injuries they have had this year, it would be hard to see them passing.

13. Miami Dolphins - OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

• Ryan Tannehill, for better or worse, is going to get another shot. The Dolphins seem to love college production, taking two subpar athletes with immense collegiate production with their top two picks last year, so replacing likely walk candidate Ja'Wuan James with a multi-year starter in McGlinchey, despite limitations in his game, seems to make sense.

14. Los Angeles Chargers - S/LB Derwin James, Florida State

• I don't think this team will end up picking here (really like how they are playing and think they could easily win the division), but Tom Telasco seems to enjoy athletic studs which would make Derwin an interesting fit. James is certainly a tweener but likely to light up the Combine and entice many.

15. Dallas Cowboys - DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson

• Demarcus Lawrence is likely to walk, but Randy Gregory is supposed to be back next year. If Rod Marinelli is back for another year, he would love to have his hands on an explosive interior player like Wilkins.

16. Oakland Raiders - LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

• Navarro Bowman seemed like a desperation signing. Adding an explosive linebacker like Evans could be a huge aid for a below average Raiders defense.

17. Detroit Lions - EDGE Arden Key, LSU

• It will be interesting to see who ultimately takes the chance on Key, but the Lions need D-Line help and Key has shined when he has played the last two years.

18. Buffalo Bills - DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

• The run defense has been awful since dishing away Marcel Dareus, so why not try to replace him with another Alabama guy?

19. Green Bay Packers - OT Connor Williams, Texas

• The offensive tackles in Green Bay simply cannot stay healthy. Williams is a big risk for that same reason and inconsistencies on tape, but it's probably a chance worth taking for this squad.

20. Atlanta Falcons - CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

• This team is still Super Bowl talented, but not playing to that level this year. My personal main belief is the lack of involving Julio Jones more, but you cannot really draft to fix that. Ward shouldn't fall this far, but if he doesn't put up elite test numbers for his size, he will slip a little despite superb on-field play.

21. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City) - DE Austin Bryant, Clemson

• Opinions seem to vary on Austin Bryant, but he is at worse, a borderline 1st rounder. The Bills, in addition to being terrible against the run, only have 20 sacks this year, and that's despite their secondary playing great. Bryant could help in both areas.

22. Baltimore Ravens - TE Mike Gesicki, Penn State

• Maxx Williams is not working out and Joe Flacco without competent tight end, as was the case with Dennis Pitta and Benjamin Watson, is not going well. Gesicki would be an immediate, reliable pass catcher that this team needs.

23. Seattle Seahawks - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

• Duane Brown obviously helps, but this entire offensive line was miserable before his addition. The running game has been putrid this year for Seattle and Hernandez would immediately open some holes.

24. Carolina Panthers - WR Cortland Sutton, SMU

• Sutton is raw, but the Panthers need weapons and a guy who can push it deep. Maybe James Washington (nation's leader in 20+ yard receptions) would intrigue them here as well, but the Panthers have shown an affinity for raw ability in their selections.

25. Jacksonville Jaguars - TE Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

• Blake Bortles isn't great, but he is proving to be serviceable with a great run game, okay weapons, and an awesome defense. This is a team that is a legitimate contender for years to come if they keep this up, so adding a weapon at TE like Andrews to replace Marcedes Lewis could continue to improve this offense.

26. Tennessee Titans - S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama

• Kevin Byard is working out great and Logan Ryan has been solid, but another another safety with the versatile skill set of Harrison would be a huge aid.

27. Los Angeles Rams - C Billy Price, Ohio State

• Sean McVay has turned lead into gold in LA. This draft has a couple solid names at center and Price is likely the best of them due to outstanding leverage and hand usage.

28. New Orleans Saints - QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

• I'm torn between if they would go with Baker or Lamar Jackson here. Either way, if Brees leaves, they need to do something. Maybe this team is a sleeper for Kirk Cousins' services?

29. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Brandon Parker, North Carolina A&T

• There is a lot of draft process still left and nobody currently standing out as a LT prospect. I think Parker and Jamarco Jones are decent sleepers right now to crack the late 1st. Halapoulivaati Vaitai was abused against Seattle and Jason Peters isn't getting any younger. Bringing in a nimble mammoth like Parker could continue to grow this offense.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

• Josh Dobbs is not going to be the answer and Big Ben retiring is a real issue for this team to be concerned about. Jackson's infusion of athleticism to go along with this talented offense could be exciting.

31. Minnesota Vikings - Kevin Toliver II, LSU

• This team is remarkable complete across the board. Xavier Rhodes is a stud but Terrance Newman is as old as they come and the other young CB's have been inconsistent (to say the least). I personally love Toliver, but maybe the Vikings would gamble here with his LSU teammate, Donte' Jackson, to have a versatile chess piece in the secondary.

32. New England Patriots - LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

• I am not sure if size-wise he fits the typical Belichick linebacker (think more the size and versatility of Josh Allen), but Smith has shined this year and could play well in a variety of defenses.

20. Atlanta Falcons - CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

• This team is still Super Bowl talented, but not playing to that level this year. My personal main belief is the lack of involving Julio Jones more, but you cannot really draft to fix that. Ward shouldn't fall this far, but if he doesn't put up elite test numbers for his size, he will slip a little despite superb on-field play.

CB isn't a first round need for the Falcons. It's honestly not a top 3 round need for the Falcons. I could see the Falcons going Roquan Smith here with how Deion Jones has been limited as a MLB lately.

39 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Would throw up if we took Josh Allen at #9.

Good thing Allen is slotted at 10th so you can keep the vomit in your stomach.

12 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

I think id go with mayfield over andrews for the jags.  Bortles is holding our offense back as teams dont respect our pass offense and as a result fournette faces more 8 man fronts then anyone in the league. 

Just not sure how much better the offense would be with a rookie QB from a spread system versus adding a playmaker TE and keeping an okay, if not great, QB. The rest of this team is close to competing for a Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Just not sure how much better the offense would be with a rookie QB from a spread system versus adding a playmaker TE and keeping an okay, if not great, QB. The rest of this team is close to competing for a Super Bowl. 

Touché.

Would much rather have Lamar or Baker, though.

5 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

That's okay.  I might if the Bengals don't go o-line in the first.  At spot #9

8 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Our offense doesnt seem overly complicated and while their would likely be some growing pains i feel like mayfield would help the team more at qb then blake whos passing is scattershot at best.  Like i said wouldn't be mad with andrews i just think we need to get our qb situation figured out before drafting a te because this missing wrs is bad not that it helps with our wrs dropping passes.  

Its been terrible to watch our offense being stuck with 2nd and 3rd and long because teams sell out on the run against us. I think a qb a team can respect would solve some of that problem. 

I wouldn't be suprised if we even went James washington as both our top 2 wrs(arob and lee) are free agents in the end of the season. 

11 hours ago, scar988 said:

CB isn't a first round need for the Falcons. It's honestly not a top 3 round need for the Falcons. I could see the Falcons going Roquan Smith here with how Deion Jones has been limited as a MLB lately.

Scar nailed it for the Falcons as we both agree we can use a extra CB for depth just not in the 1st 2 or maybe 3 rounds.   Our top 3 CB's are pretty much set for a good while in Trufant, Alford, and Poole.  All 3 are really good and talented CB's as well so thats a win overall.   Collins, Blidi, and Goodwin were our 4th, 5th, and 6th CB's and they can be upgraded since Collins is gone and Goodwin just isn't that impressive overall.  so for sure in say the 4th or later a CB for depth and maybe even a solid vet FA wouldn't be bad at all for the Falcons.

Now i also 100% agree with him on Roquan Smith for the Falcons as i think he upgrades us tremendously back there and if you got Smith, Debo, and Campbell as your LB group with Duke Riley and Vic Beasley as your depth by god you are doing ok.     The problem im having right now is Beasley is having to drop way more in coverage and play SLB than i would like i want him back on the DL rushing the passer much more since thats his biggest strength.   By getting a player like Smith this allows it to happen because it allows either Smith or Debo to play either WLB or MLB whichever suits the other better.  It also allows Campbell to go back to SLB where his strength is more and again moving Beasley back on the DL more.  It really upgrades like 3 positions with 1 pick where everyone plays their strengths.

15 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

5. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

• This team simply cannot get after quarterbacks and has a decent amount of holes on defense outside of Jonathan Hankins and Malik Hooker. Ferrell dominated in the CFB playoffs last year and another January performance like that could cement him as a top 10 pick at worse.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - RB Derrius Guice, LSU

• Bucs front office has shown a desire to continue to surround Jameis Winston with weapons. Guice fills an immediate need.

14. Los Angeles Chargers - S/LB Derwin James, Florida State

• I don't think this team will end up picking here (really like how they are playing and think they could easily win the division), but Tom Telasco seems to enjoy athletic studs which would make Derwin an interesting fit. James is certainly a tweener but likely to light up the Combine and entice many.

Those are my questionables from your draft.

1. I like Ferrell, but I don't see him as a fit in Indy's 3-4 defense. He's not a 34 DE and he's not a 34 OLB. He's purely a 4-3 DE. He's worthy of a high selection, but that might be a little rich and it seems like a poor fit.

2. Derrius Guice is a good player, but again, this is a little rich. I don't think he's top 10 good. RB's need to be unreal to go in the top 10 and I don't see unreal from Guice. He's in the same mold of a Melvin Gordon III as a prospect. Different styles, but similar grades. I don't know if TB would be about taking a RB this high with all of their needs. RB is a big need for them, but I just don't know if Guice and Barkley are even near each other as prospects.

3. Derwin James should go way before #14. He's a superstar. I'd be shocked if he slipped this far.

4. Not highlighted, but I don't think SF would pass on Barkley for Chubb. If they do pass on Barkley, it's not going to be for a 4th DE in 4 years IMO.

Archived