Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

8 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

All else being the same, if we were a team like the Cowboys or Packers who seemingly always have things right in the trenches I would have no problem focusing on weapons, but that isn't the case.

This team has been sending out patchwerk (literally) offensive lines for as long as I've been more than a casual fan. I don't see how our first two picks can be anything other than Williams and the best offensive lineman.

Really will come down to FA. Jenkins hasn't been able to stay on the field, I am hopeful Davis gets back to form, and Whitehair needs cut and replaced. I still think he would fare better at C than guard. C's can either help or get more help against power rushers and he is too good just keep as a swing OT. His athleticism is a major bonus too. At minimum he needs to get a shot to compete somewhere. 

On 9/23/2023 at 7:36 PM, JibjeResearch said:

lolz ahahah🤣 .. 

OK, I'll take that challenge...

Here's what Fields can do to help himself throw within 2.5 to 3.5 seconds.

1. Accept Getsy's play, it doesn't matter what play he calls... it's all the same.

2. At the line, know your 1st read, then pick "One" secondary read (it can be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th receiver).  For an example Fields picks the 3rd receiver to throw to if the 1st receiver is covered.  While at the line, envision which LB and/or S must move away from the 3rd receiver to have a good throw.

3. When the play starts, read his #1 receiver, this take around 2 seconds.  If open, throw now.  If not, then QUCIKLY go to the 3rd receiver.  This is skipping the 2nd receiver, I get it.  If the 3rd receiver is tight and not good, just take off running.  He can stay in the pocket or move around if there is no pressure to look for other receivers.  But the Bears OL sucks, so the 3.5 seconds is reached after reading the 3rd receiver (skipping 2nd receiver) as the Second option.  Fields can also throw the ball away, just don't take the sack.

There you go...  Every play, Fields has 3 options: the 1st receiver, (one of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th receiver---mix this up a little to fake the defense), and running/throw the ball away.  Fields can do this within 3.5 seconds. 

If Fields can do those 3 options within 3.5 second, we will gain yards and score points while not taking the sack or other costly mistake.

I bet Getsy and his QB coach are not teaching him that.  I bet they are teaching him to read 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.. and 5th... in that order..  Fields is slow in reading; thus, the coach called plays to one side of the field...sometime...  This is bad teaching FOR Fields ---because Fields read defense so slow..., and it does not fit Fields skill set.

Fields has total control on the field regardless of what Getsy calls. 

The ball is coming out faster....  Fields need to keep doing this... and mix it up a little to confuse the defense.... such as picking different 2  options before the ball is snapped....   He can repick the 2 options at the line as he sees and adjusts to the defense's formation. 

He can pick 3 options or 4 options as the game slows down for him.  I really like his progress.

Fields will throw 4000yds+ ...just like what he said he was going to do.

Bears fans should be very happy.  If he keeps improving, the franchised Fields has arrived....

Edited by JibjeResearch

I was very confused this past week when one of the debates was if Fields plays like he did vs Denver going forward do you still take Williams. Many people were saying yes you take Williams. Didn’t we spend all offseason hoping Fields would be the future? I’m pretty sure if he continues playing as well as he has these past 2 weeks he is the future and you’d be crazy to dump him. 

4 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I was very confused this past week when one of the debates was if Fields plays like he did vs Denver going forward do you still take Williams. Many people were saying yes you take Williams. Didn’t we spend all offseason hoping Fields would be the future? I’m pretty sure if he continues playing as well as he has these past 2 weeks he is the future and you’d be crazy to dump him. 

Yeah if he continues on a 68 TD/year + 5244 yards/year pace, he'll certainly be the future

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

Ya it's kind of a stupid debate at this juncture but leave it to Bears fans to give up on a player ) season only a quarter way into it

I've maintained that we need to just let the process play itself out because it's a long season and a lot of things can change 

Ideally Fields continues to play at a high level and we do not have to worry about making a QB change next offseason even if we are extremely lucky enough to land the #1 pick again

Even with Carolina's pick we still have some stiff competition for the #1 pick with teams like the Broncos, Raiders, Cardinals, Giants & Patriots looking equally as bad 

• Like 1

Fields couldn't do anything when teams ran zone against us in weeks 1-3. Denver ran almost exclusively man in the first half and he tore them up, then they switched to more zone in the 2nd half and he struggled. WSH saw this trend and ran man almost the entire game and Fields does what he does against it.

I still need to see him play this well against zone coverage to think he can truly be this guy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Fields couldn't do anything when teams ran zone against us in weeks 1-3. Denver ran almost exclusively man in the first half and he tore them up, then they switched to more zone in the 2nd half and he struggled. WSH saw this trend and ran man almost the entire game and Fields does what he does against it.

I still need to see him play this well against zone coverage to think he can truly be this guy

True.  But to be fair - Zone is really hard to play against when you struggle to protect.   You really need to keep eyes downfield and not be side eyeing rush.  

Zone is also a matter of WR and QB being on exact same page.  Zone beaters (if called) requires WR to read it and then sit in holes at right time rather than continuing route (unless you are sending multiple players deep which is another way to beat zone).   Then ball has to be out so it hits them just after they sit.  

Playing well against zone takes a LOT of reps and familiarity.  

Montanna and Rice were masters at it if you go back and watch some of their 80s work.   Manning and Harrison too.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

True.  But to be fair - Zone is really hard to play against when you struggle to protect.   You really need to keep eyes downfield and not be side eyeing rush.  

Zone is also a matter of WR and QB being on exact same page.  Zone beaters (if called) requires WR to read it and then sit in holes at right time rather than continuing route (unless you are sending multiple players deep which is another way to beat zone).   Then ball has to be out so it hits them just after they sit.  

Playing well against zone takes a LOT of reps and familiarity.  

Montanna and Rice were masters at it if you go back and watch some of their 80s work.   Manning and Harrison too.

To simplify

1) You beat zones by first recognizing zone and then sitting just after guy covering you breaks off and before next guy has time to pick you up OR

by 2) flooding an area so you send 3 guys into a zone 2 guys are covering or 4 into 3.    Then you have to be careful to maintain spacing so 2 guys can't cover 3.   If you get too close together it screws it up and you give numbers advantage back to defense.

Football strategy always basically comes down to numbers.   You are always trying to devise ways to either outnumber opponent or at least keep it 1 on 1.  

Conversely many DCs don't love to play zone because zone is harder to teach and much easier to screw up.  

It is preferred defense against a dangerous running QB.   In man you are turning your back on him, in zone you are can side eye him and break off.

22 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

This is what was said early in the week and then others were saying the Broncos were calling zone in the first half also. I don’t know what to believe with everyone being able to report and say what ever they want anymore. I’m just going to let it continue to play out. 

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I think the issues against zone are being really overblown…

I think more the issue is to do with the choice of plays against zone defence…if you going to dump it off to a back or on a WR screen and have 7-8 guys all looking into the backfield then it is super easy to play that because all the defenders see it and run…Fields going deep against zone hasn’t been much of a problem because we aren’t playing small ball and those zones instantly become much bigger…when the play calling became conservative that is when the issues came about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah if he continues on a 68 TD/year + 5244 yards/year pace, he'll certainly be the future

Obviously that pace is unsustainable but if he continues looking like a franchise passer you keep him. Can’t imagine dumping him for a roll of the dice which Caleb Williams is no matter how generational people view him. I saw a lot of people siding with Williams over Fields in that scenario. 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

This is not entirely true. On the first TD to Moore last night the Commanders were playing zone. You're generalizing by saying that Fields can't pass against zone defense. C'mon dude 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

This is not entirely true. On the first TD to Moore last night the Commanders were playing zone. You're generalizing by saying that Fields can't pass against zone defense. C'mon dude 

I think by playing "well against zone" he means more consistently. Of course Fields isn't going to be blanked out by zone, he has a lot of talent and can sling it to any level. But I think if someone broke down his passing stats in man and compared it to zone there would be a significant difference. THAT is the issue. Whether him, the scheme, or whatever he does not play as well vs zone as he does man and it needs to be improved. On a rookie deal, sure its ok. But to be worth the megadeal and be a franchise QB he needs to be able to play against both effectively and to do so consistently. 

He has the talent to do it but it just hasn't happened yet. I like Fields a lot, I drafted him real time in the draft, but he still hasn't earned the big contract yet. That's what this season is about to me, either he proves he is the guy or he isn't so you can move on.