Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

In the grand scheme of it all this means nothing...just interesting how perception would make you think one of these guys has been playing far better than the other.

Mahomes’ numbers with this roster tho…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Mahomes’ numbers with this roster tho…

Justin Fields if drafted and trained by Andy Reid from beginning though … 

Mahomes still better, but he is arguably best of all time. Certainly an argument for most talented of all time.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Justin Fields if drafted and trained by Andy Reid from beginning though … 

Mahomes still better, but he is arguably best of all time. Certainly an argument for most talented of all time.

Every player has flaws that won’t be fixable imo so I think he occasional goofy terribly pass thing still happens but yeah a Reid coached Fields could’ve been the envy of the league. Although I don’t know how he’d look this year throwing to a half cocked distracted Kelce and Skyy Moore lol. 

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Every player has flaws that won’t be fixable imo so I think he occasional goofy terribly pass thing still happens but yeah a Reid coached Fields could’ve been the envy of the league. Although I don’t know how he’d look this year throwing to a half cocked distracted Kelce and Skyy Moore lol. 

Kelce is also playing through injuries and he keeps getting banged up each game.  When healthy he is the man. 

But yes, they probably shouldn't have traded away Hill even though they got a bunch of stuff.   That was a special combo with Kelce that made their offense unstoppable.   

Yes they won SB last year, but that took a super human effort by Mahomes.   That isn't going to happen every year.  And then they downgraded WRs further. 

Mahomes even made Juju look all world.   it doesn't take much for him. They should have kept Juju. 

I do think they Rice will eventually become good.   He is going through rookie pains.  

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Skyy Moore is a third down RB playing WR.   My guess is he just didn't want to be a RB because he wisely saw what was coming pay wise so insisted on playing WR in college.   But WR isn't his position.

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I do think they Rice will eventually become good.   He is going through rookie pains

Really liked him at SMU. If we didn’t get Moore and didn’t go WR in r1, he was my guy in r2. He is certainly starting slowly but I think eventually he’ll be pretty alright 

On 10/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, topwop1 said:

This is not entirely true. On the first TD to Moore last night the Commanders were playing zone. You're generalizing by saying that Fields can't pass against zone defense. C'mon dude 

On 10/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, HuskieBear said:

Fields couldn't do anything when teams ran zone against us in weeks 1-3.

JF looked so bad in weeks 1-3 that we started looking ahead to the draft already. a lot of that had to do with teams running zone defenses to limit his running

Denver ran almost exclusively man in the first half and he tore them up, then they switched to more zone in the 2nd half and he struggled

this happened. it wasn't a generalization. 

WSH saw this trend and ran man almost the entire game and Fields does what he does against it.

"almost the entire game" yeah ok one of his touchdowns were against zone but a majority of the game WSH ran man defense. 

I think you're generalizing what i said tbh. the way to stop Justin is to play zone, which helps take away his running. he struggles far more against zone than man coverage. that's just a fact.

Fields through 5 games (Compared with the 19 QBs with at least 150 pass attempts so far)...

The Bad

16th in Completion%

17th in INT%

17th in Sack%

The Good

2nd in Passing TDs

1st in Passing TD%

5th in YPA

3rd in YPC

Could we expect better from a rookie QB given the OL situation we have faced so far this season with injury and the fact we only have one true weapon on the outside?..

Maybe we need to cut Fields some more slack (begrudgingly maybe even Getsy too) 16th in completion% when you are top 5 in both yards per attempt & completion isn't a concern IMO...that's just what comes with thrown this ball deep...if we can get that sack & interception percentage down then I can see Fields really taking off over the back end of the year. 

Edited by Madmike90
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Fields through 5 games (Compared with the 19 QBs with at least 150 pass attempts so far)...

The Bad

16th in Completion%

17th in INT%

17th in Sack%

The Good

2nd in Passing TDs

1st in Passing TD%

5th in YPA

3rd in YPC

Could we expect better from a rookie QB given the OL situation we have faced so far this season with injury and the fact we only have one true weapon on the outside?..

Maybe we need to cut Fields some more slack (begrudgingly maybe even Getsy too) 16th in completion% when you are top 5 in both yards per attempt & completion isn't a concern IMO...that's just what comes with thrown this ball deep...if we can get that sack & interception percentage down then I can see Fields really taking off over the back end of the year. 

and.... Fields is just beginning to feel the potential of the Bears' offense.    I only ask for 2 to 1 ratio of TD/INT...., but I think Fields can get a 3 to 1 TD/INT because he's good with the deep ball.  If he keeps improving, the Bears have a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

JF looked so bad in weeks 1-3 that we started looking ahead to the draft already. a lot of that had to do with teams running zone defenses to limit his running

this happened. it wasn't a generalization. 

"almost the entire game" yeah ok one of his touchdowns were against zone but a majority of the game WSH ran man defense. 

I think you're generalizing what i said tbh. the way to stop Justin is to play zone, which helps take away his running. he struggles far more against zone than man coverage. that's just a fact.

I think what you meant was that the ENTIRE team looked terrible the first 3 weeks.  You can't ask Justin Fields to dominate a game when the offensive line was as terrible as it was.  The biggest difference in game 4 was not just Justin Fields, but that the offensive line was actually starting to do a much better job to allow Justin to actually do his job.  That continued this week (Week 5).

This week the defense also played a lot better, don't know what got into them, but lets hope we continue to see that as well.

This was NEVER going to be a 1 year rebuild.  From the moment Poles took over, I looked at this as a 3 year rebuild.  If we see more of what we've seen the last two games going forward, then I'm really happy so far.  Regardless of what our record is at the end of the season (I predicted 9-8), we are looking at an off season where we are again near the best of the league with our cap situation, plus we have two 1st round picks, one of which could possibly be AGAIN 1st overall.  Imagine if we trade back again and get another haul.  I'm REALLY excited.

14 minutes ago, Uhmkay said:

I think what you meant was that the ENTIRE team looked terrible the first 3 weeks.  You can't ask Justin Fields to dominate a game when the offensive line was as terrible as it was.  The biggest difference in game 4 was not just Justin Fields, but that the offensive line was actually starting to do a much better job to allow Justin to actually do his job.  That continued this week (Week 5).

gonna disagree with you here. i CAN ask justin fields to throw for more than 100 yards/game, regardless of anything else.

the biggest defense in week 4 is that we played, statistically, one of the worst defenses in the last decade. week 5? also a pretty terrible defense outside of the DL, which i will give the OL credit for.

weeks 1-3? Packers/Bucs/Chiefs all range from pretty good to respectable nfl defenses.

16 minutes ago, Uhmkay said:

This week the defense also played a lot better, don't know what got into them, but lets hope we continue to see that as well.

what got into them was the offense building a solid lead and forcing WSH to drop back to pass 55 straight times. when you know you don't have to give even 1% of attention to the run game, playing defense gets easier. and honestly, the DL should have had wayyyy more than just 3 garbage time sacks in that game.

18 minutes ago, Uhmkay said:

This was NEVER going to be a 1 year rebuild.  From the moment Poles took over, I looked at this as a 3 year rebuild.

nobody has said anything about this being a 1 year rebuild. but they did expect progress from the QB position. weeks 1-3 were worst case scenario if you are rooting for JF to be the guy or best case if you want to move on from him. weeks 4-5 he played they way he should against bad defenses. 

Which guy is he? we still don't know - that's a problem for now, but there are still 12 more games to play. We have MIN then LV, both not very good defenses. Let's hope he can continue looking like the guy he has the last two weeks and continue building off of that.

• Like 1

I've watched a lot of USC this year. Caleb Williams holds on the to ball a ton as well. He's a fantastic player but he could have the same sort of issues we've seen with Justin. He does seem to have better anticipation throwing the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

The Bad

16th in Completion%

17th in INT%

17th in Sack%

The Good

2nd in Passing TDs

1st in Passing TD%

5th in YPA

3rd in YPC

Just like with a rookie I'm not looking at just these 5 games. A lot of it is projection for both and past performance for Fields (past performance would be a chunk of why the rookie was drafted after all).

Fields played poorly individually weeks 1-3 and played well the last two. Even with the last two he missed too many easy throws and you know he was playing trash defenses. I mean they are literally the worst two in the league in ppg. Are we seeing him really turn a corner or did he just do what Tru did and beat up on inept defenses?

I'm fine with trading Fields and tanking or riding it out. At this point he has proven nothing but he has high highs and low lows. He certainly isn't worth a megadeal but there is still the franchise tag and 5th year. But would I turn away a guy that I was really high on for him? No. In fact I might still draft a guy and make them compete for the starting spot.

8 minutes ago, malak1 said:

I've watched a lot of USC this year. Caleb Williams holds on the to ball a ton as well. He's a fantastic player but he could have the same sort of issues we've seen with Justin. He does seem to have better anticipation throwing the ball.

He definitely does hold on too long but I think a skilled playcaller helps adjust that. Him being able to throw with anticipation makes that a hell of a lot easier too.

Regardless of what I say about Fields, I stand by that he gets the whole year and he needs to improve and progress as a passer. I won't make a decision on if I think he is staying or going until the season is over no matter what I say in the game day threads. These last two games have been a great improvement but he needs to keep showing it going forward and hopefully he does. The coaches on the other hand I am more leaning towards they need to go regardless of the outcome of the season.

• Like 1