• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It’s going to be hard to talk me out of OL for the first pick. Too much talent in the draft at OL, matching too much need for us.

Agreed. Think WR probably fits in the mix somewhere before all is said and done, but at this stage in the process with draft position, talent and need, the stars appear aligned.

Ive seen a lot of Mocks having us take the 4th or 5th best OT on the board all while having every DT still available. IDK how they grade out, but I’d be looking at DT Jer’zhan Newton or Leonard Taylor at that point. 

49 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Ive seen a lot of Mocks having us take the 4th or 5th best OT on the board all while having every DT still available. IDK how they grade out, but I’d be looking at DT Jer’zhan Newton or Leonard Taylor at that point. 

Seems like a pretty arbitrary reason to swing towards a different position. In an alternate universe where the top OTs go back to school, are you suddenly more interested in now-OT1 Tyler Guyton?

The OT class seems to be amazing. That should make you want to run towards it, not away.

8 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

If Newton somehow falls to us, there's no way we don't take him barring some other Top 10 prospect falling

It took Dallas an eternity to draft a R1 DT and the results weren’t good. That shouldn’t prevent them doing it again, but it’s tough to envision this FO going B2B given their history.
Will admit Newton is an entirely different animal than Mazi.

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Seems like a pretty arbitrary reason to swing towards a different position. In an alternate universe where the top OTs go back to school, are you suddenly more interested in now-OT1 Tyler Guyton?

The OT class seems to be amazing. That should make you want to run towards it, not away.

I understand and agree with your logic, but the only OT's I'd take over Newton are probably Fash and Alt, maybe Fauga.  If Newton's not on the board, then add Latham, Mims and Morgan to the list. I'm not as high on Taylor as some, but he may be the best pass rushing DT in the class with the highest pass-rush win rate in CFB. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It's always a smart move to grab the players at the deepest positions in the draft unless you believe that there is a bonafide starter to be had at that position in a later round and there's better overall value in drafting the top player at a different position to give the team to quality starters immediately. Personally, I think that the 4th or 5th best OT is close equal value to the top DT in this draft. That's both a compliment to the OT class and a cringe at the DT class. One is very strong, and the other is rather ordinary.

Edited by plan9misfit

3 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

I understand and agree with your logic, but the only OT's I'd take over Newton are probably Fash and Alt, maybe Fauga.  If Newton's not on the board, then add Latham, Mims and Morgan to the list. I'm not as high on Taylor as some, but he may be the best pass rushing DT in the class with the highest pass-rush win rate in CFB. 

I am not nearly deep enough into this class to say who I prefer among individual players. I am merely pointing out the flawed logic of “I’d rather have DT2 than OT5”.

Maybe that’s true at the end of the day for 2024, but it should have nothing to do with where they rank among their own position groups.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1