• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

On 12/20/2023 at 5:18 PM, MaddHatter said:

Way too early, even for me, to start predicting draft picks, but if we continue to invest early and often into the trenches, I will be a happy camper

Need OL badly.  Edoga is brutal.  Tyron hurt again and Martin isn't getting any younger.

56 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think in an alternate universe, Tyler is a Pro Bowl LT, too. But to switch him at this point is to reset his development clock. 

I'd say he looked better than average the couple times he was asked to play LT. But yeah, I wouldn't ask him to move back there unless absolutely necessary. 

Draft needs:

The HELL with take the BPA. If we take another CB, WR, DE instead of OT, RB, ILB

We deserve to get exposed against a decent running game or fumble on the 1 or get our QB killed.

At this point in every year, thus team always seems to be a day late and a dollar short.

If you watched the last 2 games closely, we have NO rushing attack. Nobody fears our ground game. So, being 1 dimensional is working against us. Defenses know exactly how to attack us. Which brings me to sunny point number 2.

Our O line is wearing down. Can't count on T. Smith anymore. Best bet with him is to rework his contract and put him in a case reading " Break glass in the event we make the post season." Martin isn't getting younger and Biadisz is serviceable at best. RT is a gaping hole.

With no thumping ILB offenses are running right at us with no fear. Dan Quinn has his LBs as "tweeners" guys that can cover. Tall, lanky and fast, but will not hold up against the run.

That leaves me to believe:

OT, RB, ILB - in any order according to best player available at said position is the way to go.

6 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Draft needs:

The HELL with take the BPA. If we take another CB, WR, DE instead of OT, RB, ILB

We deserve to get exposed against a decent running game or fumble on the 1 or get our QB killed.

At this point in every year, thus team always seems to be a day late and a dollar short.

If you watched the last 2 games closely, we have NO rushing attack. Nobody fears our ground game. So, being 1 dimensional is working against us. Defenses know exactly how to attack us. Which brings me to sunny point number 2.

Our O line is wearing down. Can't count on T. Smith anymore. Best bet with him is to rework his contract and put him in a case reading " Break glass in the event we make the post season." Martin isn't getting younger and Biadisz is serviceable at best. RT is a gaping hole.

With no thumping ILB offenses are running right at us with no fear. Dan Quinn has his LBs as "tweeners" guys that can cover. Tall, lanky and fast, but will not hold up against the run.

That leaves me to believe:

OT, RB, ILB - in any order according to best player available at said position is the way to go.

Imagine passing on CeeDee Lamb because you had a bigger need for Kenneth Murray, Clyde Hellaire-Edwards, or Isaiah Wilson.

That’s the potential of what you are advocating.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Imagine passing on CeeDee Lamb because you had a bigger need for Kenneth Murray, Clyde Hellaire-Edwards, or Isaiah Wilson.

That’s the potential of what you are advocating.

So, let's examine the other side of that coin.

Let's take the next Cee Dee Lamb simply because he's available when we are up. Yeah WR Corp.

But who's going to block for the QB in order to throw him the ball? 

Who's going to balance our offensive attack when we have uber talent at WR and nowhere else?

If this was a 2-13 team right now, looking at a total rebuild, fine, I'm in your camp. Take thee most talented player and build around him.

But when you have the glaring holes that this team has, you cannot keep drafting with the luxury of a team that is in rebuilding mode.

RB is one of the few positions that transitions to Pro Football very quickly.

We get a "Zeke" type RB and next year's team, with this Corp of WRs and TEs could be THAT much better. 

It's something I fear is going to knock us out of this postseason.

But, this is simply my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

But who's going to block for the QB in order to throw him the ball? 

If it’s Isaiah Wilson you are reaching for, you aren’t better off than having added an all pro receiver.

Who's going to balance our offensive attack when we have uber talent at WR and nowhere else?

If CEH is your balance, you aren’t better off than having added an all-pro receiver.

RB is one of the few positions that transitions to Pro Football very quickly.

It’s probably the least valuable position in football, with a massive bust rate and short shelf life. 

But when you have the glaring holes that this team has, you cannot keep drafting with the luxury of a team that is in rebuilding mode.

Every team has major holes. The NFL is a conveyor belt of talent, and focusing too much on the immediate term is the surest way to gut your roster of premium talent and difference makers.

I am actually a pretty big proponent of factoring in need to the evaluation process. But it’s just a factor. To say “to hell with BPA” is a terrible way to build a team. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If it’s Isaiah Wilson you are reaching for, you aren’t better off than having added an all pro receiver.

If CEH is your balance, you aren’t better off than having added an all-pro receiver.

It’s probably the least valuable position in football, with a massive bust rate and short shelf life. 

Every team has major holes. The NFL is a conveyor belt of talent, and focusing too much on the immediate term is the surest way to gut your roster of premium talent and difference makers.

I am actually a pretty big proponent of factoring in need to the evaluation process. But it’s just a factor. To say “to hell with BPA” is a terrible way to build a team. 

You think RB is the LEAST valuable position?

It is our Achillies heel on both sides of the ball.

A lack of a potent running game almost got Dak killed last week. Defenses do not respect our running game and having an inept running game cost us on the 1st drive, and ultimately the game.

Conversely, Buffalo, Miami and SF ran wild on us. It's how you beat our defense!

Miami was cracking off 9 and 10 yard running plays setting up the pass plays just over the middle behind our LBs.

So tell me again how the RB is not valuable.

In fact, I think it is the missing piece to a SB run for our offense.

Just out of curiosity, how does drafting the same position year after year help the team? You're solid at THAT position but still gaping at positions that were problems a year ago.