• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

43 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I mean, this is true about other positions too. Why can rookie wide receivers come in and ball fairy regularly? What about offensive linemen?

At TE, the size/athleticism advantage is stark. In my mind, it should be easier than other positions to transition, not harder. It’ll forever be wild to me that you can’t go pluck some power forward playing in Europe, whose NBA dreams have been dashed, and make him a dominant NFL tight end.

Because most receivers, OL and other positions have played football their whole lives. Rare examples of guys like the Eagles' Mailata, but mostly all of them have played the sport for years. The technique or the base of it already exists. The study habits and work that goes into it was there for years too, just not at a pro level 

At TE,many of these guys were basketball players whos heart was never really in the sport of football.

I think another part of it is asking these huge guys to play with the footwork of men half their size. You need to be 6'5" and 255 pounds, but beat man coverage with footwork similar to a man that's 6' flat and 200 pounds playing receiver. It's not as natural to a guy that size. And because of the changes to rules that favor deep passes, TEs have evolved from bad route runners who can muscle their way for a 4 yard hitch route and gain you 10 yards, into someone who needs to shift and separate from a 205 pound safety in man coverage and beat him on a deep corner or a post or split the zones on a seam route. A lot more ks asked of them now.

And with their size it just isn't as simple to learn to do. Especially when football is pretty new to the guy as it is 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm.  I don’t mind a high pick on a player who is guaranteed to be a difference maker in the NFL. Giving us another stud defender is never a bad option but needs to be a Sure fire non miss type. 
right NOW…

1st OT
2nd best player available.
3rd best player available.  
4th. Another OL

I guess if pushed I think CB is a valid option to upgrade Lewis who seems to be having a down year.  Then LB insurance Overshown is not available as expected.  

as always I am disinclined to go TE in the top 4.   I use Pitts as an example.  Did ATL get any real extra value from Pitts than say Schultz or Ferguson last few games.  

On 11/14/2023 at 12:28 PM, quiller said:

Hmm.  I don’t mind a high pick on a player who is guaranteed to be a difference maker in the NFL. Giving us another stud defender is never a bad option but needs to be a Sure fire non miss type. 
right NOW…

1st OT
2nd best player available.
3rd best player available.  
4th. Another OL

I guess if pushed I think CB is a valid option to upgrade Lewis who seems to be having a down year.  Then LB insurance Overshown is not available as expected.  

as always I am disinclined to go TE in the top 4.   I use Pitts as an example.  Did ATL get any real extra value from Pitts than say Schultz or Ferguson last few games.  

To be fair, Atlanta’s head coach is too stupid to give Bjian Robinson the ball more than like 12 times a game on average, so no one should have any confidence that he knows what to do with a TE other than block.

12 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Zero chance at him, but I might sell the farm to match Jared Verse with Micah. Total stud.

That would be really exciting. Another guy would be Laiatu Latu out of UCLA - but he's another one who's probably going high in the draft. 

Guys that are a bit more realistic would be Brandon Dorlus (though he's more of an interior edge guy), J.T. Tuimoloau out of tOSU is also another guy to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

That would be really exciting. Another guy would be Laiatu Latu out of UCLA - but he's another one who's probably going high in the draft. 

Guys that are a bit more realistic would be Brandon Dorlus (though he's more of an interior edge guy), J.T. Tuimoloau out of tOSU is also another guy to keep an eye on.

I’m still in the early stages of learning this draft class, but it the offensive tackle group is anywhere near as strong as it’s being billed, seems like that would be the early favorite for need meeting BPA at our draft pick.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m still in the early stages of learning this draft class, but it the offensive tackle group is anywhere near as strong as it’s being billed, seems like that would be the early favorite for need meeting BPA at our draft pick.

Oh for sure. Dorlus and Tuimoloau are more likely 2nd-3rd round guys. 

Question is does the club move on from Tyron and shift Tyler to OT - thus making guard a need?