• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

9 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

A lack of a potent running game almost got Dak killed last week. Defenses do not respect our running game and having an inept running game cost us on the 1st drive, and ultimately the game.

RB =/= running game. 

9 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Just out of curiosity, how does drafting the same position year after year help the team? You're solid at THAT position but still gaping at positions that were problems a year ago.

Who is arguing to draft the same position year after year?

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

RB =/= running game. 

Who is arguing to draft the same position year after year?

Nobody. But if BPA turns out to be a WR, CB, or S, do we overlook RB, OL, ILB?

Now I get that if the talent level at our positions of need is abysmal, you take the more talented player.

But that would be a stretch to have those 3 positions of need and nobody is really that good.

Just to show you that I understand the difference between reaching for need and talent level, I will openly admit that I have been screaming for a stud aka Russell Maryland type DT and Dallas ished the bed with Mazi Smith on a bad reach when they could have gone Oline and still taken Smith in the 2nd. 

Let's not even get into Schoonmaker. He SUCKS!

Edited by Rtnldave

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Nobody. But if BPA turns out to be a WR, CB, or S, do we overlook RB, OL, ILB?

It depends. If there’s a stud WR, I am thrilled to take him. The other positions I might be inclined to trade back.

For the OL, I think it’s very likely that need meets talent at our pick. I can almost guarantee you I’m not into drafting an RB or ILB in the first round, though.

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Just to show you that I understand the difference between reaching for need and talent level, I will openly admit that I have been screaming for a stud aka Russell Maryland type DT and Dallas ished the bed with Mazi Smith on a bad reach when they could have gone Oline and still taken Smith in the 2nd. 

None of this makes sense. We know for a fact that KC wanted Mazi in the 1st. Also, Dallas didn’t reach for need, he was top of their board. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It depends. If there’s a stud WR, I am thrilled to take him. The other positions I might be inclined to trade back.

For the OL, I think it’s very likely that need meets talent at our pick. I can almost guarantee you I’m not into drafting an RB or ILB in the first round, though.

None of this makes sense. We know for a fact that KC wanted Mazi in the 1st. Also, Dallas didn’t reach for need, he was top of their board. 

Well, I guess I'm seeing things. I've read pleanty of posts saying that Mazi was a reach, we could have possibly gotten him in the 2nd, hes a bust, we should have taken an O linemen. Stuff like that.

51 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Do you want the Cowboys to come onto FootballsFuture.com and ask our opinion of where a player should rank? Mazi was BPA in their minds (essentially tied with Bergeron, but they leaned Mazi to because they wanted to help stop the run…).

We have both reported evidence and war room video that shows both 1) Mazi and Bergeron were essentially equals as #12-13, and 2) that Kansas City tried to trade up with us, planning to draft Mazi.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Do you want the Cowboys to come onto FootballsFuture.com and ask our opinion of where a player should rank? Mazi was BPA in their minds (essentially tied with Bergeron, but they leaned Mazi to because they wanted to help stop the run…).

We have both reported evidence and war room video that shows both 1) Mazi and Bergeron were essentially equals as #12-13, and 2) that Kansas City tried to trade up with us, planning to draft Mazi.

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:43 PM, Rtnldave said:

Well, I guess I'm seeing things. I've read pleanty of posts saying that Mazi was a reach, we could have possibly gotten him in the 2nd, hes a bust, we should have taken an O linemen. Stuff like that.

I'm not defending the Mazi pick but I operate on the three year plan, i.e. it may take 3 seasons before you start to reap the rewards of your pick.  You should certainly know what you have, or don't have when three years are up. There were reports on draft day that teams were thinking of moving up to take Smith, and he was not going to get past the Chiefs I think.  I remember the Cowboys saying it was down to Bergeron or Smith and McClay said something to the effect of we've never had as talented a DT on the board when we've been picking.

Re 2024 I'm thinking their hand will be forced to find an OL or two early.  As someone said I think need will meet opportunity when we are on the board.

5 hours ago, Northland said:

I'm not defending the Mazi pick but I operate on the three year plan, i.e. it may take 3 seasons before you start to reap the rewards of your pick.  You should certainly know what you have, or don't have when three years are up. There were reports on draft day that teams were thinking of moving up to take Smith, and he was not going to get past the Chiefs I think.  I remember the Cowboys saying it was down to Bergeron or Smith and McClay said something to the effect of we've never had as talented a DT on the board when we've been picking.

Re 2024 I'm thinking their hand will be forced to find an OL or two early.  As someone said I think need will meet opportunity when we are on the board.

Well put North. Very well articulated.

Either way it should be clear to everyone that our OL needs to be retooled by 2025 for sure.  Martin and Tyron S are not the same even healthy as they were.  I give Steele another year to see if he can recover physically but that means we need TWO….   
I am not as focused on RB in the first three rounds though I guess if Mr Perfect shows up then okay.   Besides OL it is unclear what we need.   LB is a question but we have TWO top level LB coming back next year though how much LVE has in tank is a question.  Kearse Hooker ending their run but Bell is good if he isn’t forced to be LB again and we have Wilson but help here seems warranted.   What do we need CB.  Gilamore is good will we keep him???  If so we have 4 HQ CB’s on the roster.  Getting one late to develop is a good idea though.    
oddly IMO I think WR is a high need. Lamb and Cooks are good but I have given up on Gallup.  And Turpin is a nice change of pace but we have nothing to hang your hat on after that…

so 1st elite OL or WR based in biard

2nd see above I want 1 OL and 1 WR by here

3rd RB or OL 

4th. Get what we didn’t get in the 3rd

5th safety or LB

6th CB or see 5th

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

I wouldn't count on LVE being back at all. I thought I read/heard there was a strong possibility he may not recover fully from this neck injury and retire.

This will effect things if true but Overshown is probably going to be okay and has shown to be real good, good enough to step right back in and has the size and speed to really help our run D.  Thus I still put LB down a bit bellow OL WR RB about the same as safety.   One thing to consider also in all this is most likely Quinn is gone.   Will his replacement / MM put the same value on having players like Bell -Kearse play minor LB rolls in this D.