• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Yep. The NIL isn't enough to entice 1st round guys to stay because the rookie contracts are guaranteed and higher than any NIL deal (look no further than the $20+M deal that was offered to Marvin Harrison, Jr.), but 2nd rounders can now make some solid coin. There's still the risk of losing long term money in the event of a significant injury, but it's dramatically less than when they didn't make anything at all.

That $20M smelled like BS from the beginning, and reports have confirmed it. No way he was going to make that much.

2nd rounders also are most likely not making more in college, either, unless they are QBs (e.g., Ewers probably making more than a 2nd round signing bonus). 

However, it’s certainly enough that, when added to all the other benefits of staying (development, fun, degree, etc.), the calculus makes it much more reasonable for NIL to convince most juniors at major schools who are projected 2nd rounders. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Dallas should package several selections together, add in DeMarcus Lawrence and maybe even sweeten the deal with Tyron Smith as well. And go add Marvin Harrison Jr to this offense.

Chicago needs help on both sides of the line, and has holes everywhere...a bundle of picks could help them a lot, where as having DJ Moore allows them flexibility at pick 3 (or is it the 4th they also have? I'm not totally up to speed) to bypass on a second top tier receiver if it means plugging more holes much more quickly.

Where as Dallas, with Lamb being the beast he is, would greatly benefit from a true long term running mate opposite Lamb with Cooks not under contract and Gallup a shell of himself. Whether it's Dak or Lance or anyone else under center, having a duo like that would greatly increase their ability to find an open man or even just to get the ball out quickly.

Harrison is the best receiving prospect I've studied since Calvin Johnson. If there is any hope for this team in the future, it's with adding another generational tone setter type of player, or even two. I'd prefer one on each side of the ball honestly. But I digress. Harrison is such a good prospect I'd eat the loss of picks and veterans happily to add him to the roster. He's just too good to not love the idea. And paired with Lamb, the offense would be unstoppable if they also solve the consistency problem at tailback.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:13 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That $20M smelled like BS from the beginning, and reports have confirmed it. No way he was going to make that much.

2nd rounders also are most likely not making more in college, either, unless they are QBs (e.g., Ewers probably making more than a 2nd round signing bonus). 

However, it’s certainly enough that, when added to all the other benefits of staying (development, fun, degree, etc.), the calculus makes it much more reasonable for NIL to convince most juniors at major schools who are projected 2nd rounders. 

The degree can always come later. Many players return to college with inter-session courses over the spring and into the early summer, and even take distance learning courses for the added ease. While the college atmosphere is undeniably more fun for the young men, and turning pro makes turns their passion into a full-time job that demands much more of you, one can argue you can have far more fun with million dollars in your bank account - even if the time to have that fun becomes much more limited.

The reason many of these kids, both pre and post NIL implementation, pass on their final year or even two of eligibility to enter the draft isn't just about the money. If it was, college athletes getting Nil money would likely just stay in college where they still get to be a kid for another year or two while getting the money they need to help their families (remember a majority of these kids turn to football or sports as a whole to escape low income neighborhoods and help lift their families out of them). No, they pass on that final year or two because they risk their future by staying. What happens if they rip up their knee? End up needing a tommy John surgery? Have a devastating long term injury like Jaylon Smith?

Sure, they made some money now ... Perhaps even some good money ... Off the NIL deal they had. But they gave up their future both in the sport they love and with maintaining a careers worth of pro sports level of income. And if they didn't lose it entirely, to use my nephews vocabulary, they severely nerfed it by now being drafted later or even not at all, and facing an uphill battle to even make a roster as they rehab that injury and face possible additional setbacks during the healing process. And what if they can't run or cut the same way? Lose some velocity on their throw? Or have to rework their throwing motion to avoid the horrible pain they feel bringing their arm up and backward? 

Even if Harrison took that 20 mil and stayed. He'd be risking a whole careers worth of 5, 10, 15, 20 million a year just for one shot at 20 million now.

Peyton Manning once said, regarding his return to Tennessee, that he didn't regret the choice because of the life experiences it gave him and the humility it taught him, having not won the National title he was so arrogant in thinking was already his this time around. But that if given the chance to go back, he would convince himself to turn pro instead because having lived through an NFL career, in hindsight he realizes how that one decision put his entire future on the line. And in football, all it takes is one wrong step, one hit you didn't see coming, one moment of slipping on a blade of grass, and you may never play the sport ever again

Sorry to but into the convo with a long post. But as a guy who wasn't big enough, strong enough, fast enough or good enough to even be considered for making a jump from my Notre Dame to the NFL, it bugs me anytime someone talented ever is questioned on if they are turning pro or not. I've seen it with my own eyes, and while I was lucky enough to not have had any debilitating injuries in my HS or college career, knowing one bad injury can cost you that opportunity means to me that anyone with that opportunity should take it immediately. You can always get your degree later. No torn ligament or severed nerve in your leg is going to prevent that. But it could easily prevent that opportunity from coming around again.

You have to give Dallas credit.  No franchise consistently craps the bed in the playoffs like the Cowboys do.  I'm not surprised that they lost.  However to get curb stomped like they did yesterday is nothing short of disgraceful.  Sadly the change that has to take place won't happen.

6 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

You can always get your degree later.

If the main point you got from my post is that I think the main reason a kid would stay in school is for the degree, I don’t know what to tell you.

The calculus whether to stay or not involves many factors. But the money of NIL matters. If your NIL money is close to the guarantees you are likely to get on your rookie contract, that makes the injury factor much less relevant. 

14 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If the main point you got from my post is that I think the main reason a kid would stay in school is for the degree, I don’t know what to tell you.

The calculus whether to stay or not involves many factors. But the money of NIL matters. If your NIL money is close to the guarantees you are likely to get on your rookie contract, that makes the injury factor much less relevant. 

Naw, that wasn't the main point I took, just one of the many points. I wasn't disagreeing with you either. Not truly.

It's just a sore spot for me, I suppose. Because I was never physically gifted enough to be in that kind of a situation where turning pro was an option. And had I been even in the running to be a 7th round pick or a true UDFA option, Id have relished in that fact and threw my name into the hat first chance I had. Because if I waited, that chance may pass me by.

These kids like MH Jr of course, could break every bone in their back and still get drafted high Knowing they have 3 years of rehab before they can even practice. Their talent is undeniable. So it isn't quite the same as someone possibly missing their pro chance because of an injury or bad year when opting to stay in college. But I'd still say, for all the passionate lovers of the sport who don't have the talent to ever go beyond a college career backup like me, it's a kick in our heart to think of someone passing up on that chance and choosing to go back to school.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Interesting question a Bears podcaster asked, so thought I would ask you guys.

If Dallas had number 1 overall pick in this years draft.

Are you trading it or drafting a QB?

I was going to make a poll, but I didn't want to start a new thread on your board.

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I was going to make a poll, but I didn't want to start a new thread on your board.

Who the hell knows what the crypt keeper would do. I'd prefer taking a QB.

Edited by HDsportsfan

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

My question isn't necessarily what would Jerry or whoever is making the call would do.  But also what would you prefer.

So thank you.

1 hour ago, HDsportsfan said:

Reason I ask is a lot of Bears fans are arguing we should keep Fields and a lot are arguing to take QB 1, probably Caleb Williams.

I am in take Caleb Williams camp.  

A good point someone made is, Dallas, with a better more accomplished QB, may decide move on given same opportunity.  

I wanted to see if it was true.

23 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Given the unknown commodity of highly drafted QBs, it would be wise for THIS TEAM to trade the selection and add multiple pieces over the next two drafts instead of gamble on a QB. Could Caleb Williams or whoever else be an all time great? Surely. But they could also be the next Sam Darnold. And with this team so close to something great, adding multiple pieces and taking several shots at finding some great additions to the team as opposed to taking just one shot, gives them a far better chance at landing the one or two all pros that could rewrite the future of the franchise.

22 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Reason I ask is a lot of Bears fans are arguing we should keep Fields and a lot are arguing to take QB 1, probably Caleb Williams.

I am in take Caleb Williams camp.  

A good point someone made is, Dallas, with a better more accomplished QB, may decide move on given same opportunity.  

I wanted to see if it was true.

Caleb is an unknown. Fields at this point, we know what he is and what he could become. He has the potential to continue growing (he came into the league needing time to grow and experience to draw up on, and now he has that) and become quite special. If I were Chicago, I'd retain fields just for.the fact that I know what I have. 

Even if he doesn't get better, I've seen enough of his connections with DJ Moore and his ability to make plays with his feet that I know I can score a lot of points with him. I'd use that top pick to trade for help for Fields. The Chicago defense was not very good, nor was it's pass protection and run blocking. I would look to trade that pick for another high selection paired with a solid veteran OL or DL, to ensure I get two starters right off the bat with that pick. And id draft the very best OL or DL available with that selection, whoever that may be, to continue bolstering my teams two weaker points that historically are two of the most important for success.

And with the second of my.high picks, I'm adding Harrison at Wr to pair with Moore and allowing Fields to make quick, simple reads to get the ball in the hands of one of the top 3 to 5 WR tandems in the league. And every run play called is an option to keep it himself, as well. Let the run and the YAC become the offense.

• Like 1