The bad and the ugly Buffalo edition

Totty

21 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's just living on a prayer that someday his ridiculous defenses of McDaniels will give him the ability to say he was right all along since he hedged his bet so hard on them and the supposed theory of the "Patriot Way".

Unfortunately for our resident Bon Jovi, we're not even remotely close to halfway there. 

He's not the only one. It's the homer way

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Who are the haters though? This team showed its colors against a real contender. We aren't even in the vicinity. Against a good team, we can't block, generate pressure, and we lack a QB who has the ability to make plays with his feet or throw down the field with any kind of consistency.  

The ones actively rooting for the team to fail. They are very obvious. 

Last season, the team played it's cleanest game and went to toe to toe with KC on the road. Then flopped against lesser teams. They are inconsistent. They turn around and play this poorly next week, that is more telling to me. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jeremy408 said:

He's not the only one. It's the homer way

Question for you and @ronjon1990.

Who is the GM/HC combo that suddenly corrects decades of poor roster construction, bad drafts and losing? Genuinely asking, because nothing seems to work or change with this franchise. And I am at a loss what rights the ship here. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The ones actively rooting for the team to fail. They are very obvious. 

Last season, the team played it's cleanest game and went to toe to toe with KC on the road. Then flopped against lesser teams. They are inconsistent. They turn around and play this poorly next week, that is more telling to me. 

So.....uh.....literally nobody?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Who is the GM/HC combo that suddenly corrects decades of poor roster construction, bad drafts and losing? Genuinely asking, because nothing seems to work or change with this franchise. And I am at a loss what rights the ship here. 

Nobody has the answer for who that may be. 

However, it doesn't take a triple digit IQ to look at the body of work JMD and Zeigler offered prior to being hired, and then seeing 19 games worth of new work product, to realize that whoever the answer may ultimately be, it isn't Josh and Dave, and it never should have been attempted. There was zero justification for those two being the picks beyond "Look at all the shiny rings!"- a premise easily shot down a million times over on here. 

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ugly day all around. Days like this happen. Played a good team with a top 3 QB. Bills have averaged 31 at home in their last 11 games. They bounce back big off losses. Team is 1-1 with a winnable home game next week. 

Not going to panic unless this becomes a consistent thing. 

This is the feel good week for the haters they've been waiting for. Talk your trash now, it's a long season. 

This fan base is so emotional.

washington has 21 on den right now, we averaged 27 against them last year. 
we averaging 13 pints a game... our O looks bad right now. 
with jmd getting his guy, who was supposed to know the system

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Ziegler has been doing better than JMD tbf. I like a lot of his draft picks.

Genuine question- who and why?

Parham looks pretty....subpar. 

White has contributed virtually nothing. 

The rest of last year's class is basically gone. 

Wilson hasn't done anything- ok for a late rounder but they saw fit to take an injured developmental guy top 10.

Tucker barely plays. 

Bennett is out of position constantly. 

Young doesn't really play. 

The rest haven't played at all to my knowledge. 

Not saying there aren't a couple guys in there I have some hopes for but nothing job saving for Zeigler, imo. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Genuine question- who and why?

Parham looks pretty....subpar. 

White has contributed virtually nothing. 

The rest of last year's class is basically gone. 

Wilson hasn't done anything- ok for a late rounder but they saw fit to take an injured developmental guy top 10.

Tucker barely plays. 

Bennett is out of position constantly. 

Young doesn't really play. 

The rest haven't played at all to my knowledge. 

Not saying there aren't a couple guys in there I have some hopes for but nothing job saving for Zeigler, imo. 

I like some of the guys you mentioned coming out. I like a lot of the bargain guys we brought in. Tbf we aren't seeing an immediate impact from the rookies. But I like the long-term projection of a lot of those guys.

For me it’s less about what they’ve done and more about what they continue to do. Everyone makes mistakes, but you learn and move forward. I’m not sure what Ziegler can do at this point besides check the waivers or start looking into trades. 

Josh is the bigger issue. Why aren’t we using Renfrow for example?  Seems like a good fit for the Patriot offense. We’re already paying him good money. Seems like the perfect fit for a QB like Jimmy.  What am I missing? Trade him or play him is my thought, but who knows what is going on there. 

josh also looks like last year with play calling. Scripts that first drive like Gruden used to do. Rest of the game?  27 points in 2 games with 14 on opening drives isn’t a good output. 

This was an L for me when the schedule was released so I’m not surprised at all. It should stop people from talking about this team as playoff caliber at least. I still have us winning 6 maximum. 

7 minutes ago, true2form said:

This was an L for me when the schedule was released so I’m not surprised at all. It should stop people from talking about this team as playoff caliber at least. I still have us winning 6 maximum. 

Yep.

My issue is this- I gave benefit of the doubt to please the eternal optimists. I said a loss could be acceptable if we were competitive and showed growth. 

Josh McDaniels didn't let me down. We showed we were still a bottom feeder in year 2 and plenty of roster turnover. 

Does it define the season? No. 

Does it justify any further blind support for McDaniels? Hell no. 

31 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think we beat the Steelers next week. Dont really think this week is indicative of anything new.

The Steelers are a much better overall team but I agree that we have a chance.  Pit is obviously favorited as they are well coached and have talent on both sides of the ball however Pickett appears to be a below average QB but so is Jimmy G.  It should be a close game and we have a chance unlike this week where I knew we would get outclassed and smoked.  

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Well I hate to be that guy but rich bissacia went to the playoffs despite all of the things that you've mentioned. In that situation, I think you start by giving him a year to try and prove the prior year wasn't a fluke Carr. If they implode(like the majority of people on here, not including me, thought would happen) then the chances are, we would have an extremely high draft pick(probably somewhere in the realm of pick number four or higher) with the ability to draft a quarterback high and that's when you start looking head coach, GM combo but it would have to be one that does it already include either

A. A failed first time coach(based on actual record, not personal or popular opinion like Doug Peterson)

B. A coach from a field coaching or GM tree. 

Under this plan, the best case scenario would be that rich Bisaccia ends up showing out and proving that 2022 wasn't a fluke

The worst case scenario would be we end up with like Shane Steichen or someone like  that and we end up being the team that drafts a player like Anthony Richardson or so. 

If we're not talking about what we could've done instead of what we did and we're talking about going forward. I think that if we would have to look at how some of these teams coaching candidates are coming out like at the end of the year.

One could look at

-The Seahawks offensive coordinator

-Eric Bieniemy

-The Lions offensive coordinator

-The Vikings defensive coordinator

But these are just early guys. They could all have crappy seasons as coordinators so nothing is set in stone.

The other route is not hiring people as a package deal, and focusing on who is the best GM candidate first and foremost and then let them choose who is the head coach should be. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The Steelers are a much better overall team but I agree that we have a chance.  Pit is obviously favorited as they are well coached and have talent on both sides of the ball however Pickett appears to be a below average QB but so is Jimmy G.  It should be a close game and we have a chance unlike this week where I knew we would get outclassed and smoked.  

Yeah, but pick it is below average talent & young that's like the worst combination. Because his decision making is going to be bad too. We'll win that game.

I'll have to look at the schedule again but I think next weeks the Bears whenever we play them in the second Broncos game whenever we play them are the last of the predictable winnable games. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Ugly day all around. Days like this happen. Played a good team with a top 3 QB. Bills have averaged 31 at home in their last 11 games. They bounce back big off losses. Team is 1-1 with a winnable home game next week. 

Not going to panic unless this becomes a consistent thing. 

This is the feel good week for the haters they've been waiting for. Talk your trash now, it's a long season. 

This fan base is so emotional.

Generally agree with this sentiment, and it did feel like everything was lining up for a game like today. Really need the win next week to set the tone for the rest of the year. 

That being said, given the last ~20 years, hard to not have a “here we go again” type of feeling right now. 

• Like 1