A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

10 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

We probably win the game if bak plays the 4th quarter. 

Or the first quarter. Those self inflicted penalties kill us.  The one at the end that moved us out of 4th and inches also was awful.

I guess none of us know the full extent of what’s going on with that knee but with what we’ve paid 69 for what is now going on three seasons is a huge letdown to this team. 

Edited by Refugee

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Or the first quarter. Those self inflicted penalties kill us.  The one at the end that moved us out of 4th and inches also was awful.

I guess none of us know the full extent of what’s going on with that knee but with what we’ve paid 69 for what is now going on three seasons is a huge letdown to this team. 

I like 69 as much as the next guy but at some point enough is enough

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

The simpleton thinking is that we keep letting them ram the ball down our throat. The alternative would be to make a guy, they didn't trust, beat you throwing the football. Allowing what happened and thinking it's OK is real simpleton thinking. 

I usually ignore your comments, but this one makes me wonder what you think they should have done different on defense. A real solution and not some simple thing like just stop them from ramming the ball down their throats.

After the Falcons drive in the middle of the 3rd quarter that took over 6 minutes off the clock it was obvious the Packers defense was gassed and was going to be on the ropes for the remainder of the game. The Falcons were going to score, it was up to the Packers to decide if it was going to be quickly or slowly. If a team is up 12 to start the 4th than slowly is probably the choice. 

The spotlight on where to look concerning the 4th quarter should be on the offense here. The offense had 3 drives in the 4th quarter in a game where they needed to give the defense a small breather, yet those 3 drives they went 3 plays and punt, 3 plays and punt and 4 plays and turnover on downs. Now if people want to debate those drives and what could have been done differently that would be a good topic, but piling on the defense is a silly approach in looking at the 4th quarter. 

This game was always going to be a problem in the 4th quarter from the time the schedule was released. Playing what might be the best rushing offense in the NFL early in the season on their field was going to be an uphill battle. Which I did point out when the schedule was released. The NFL is not about who you play, but when you play them and playing the Falcons this early was not ideal. 

Instead of always picking what you think is the low hinging fruit and always blaming the defense, maybe look at what each part of the team could have done differently. Because the defense gave the team a chance until the very end, the offense did literally nothing in the 4th quarter.  

• Like 1

This game has me much more worried about the coaching staff than it does over the talent on the roster.  If staffs were switched yesterday and we had Atlanta's coaching staff, I believe we win the game going away.   

Both sides of the ball had some real lowlights that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

On defense we spent far too much time with only 2 bigs on the field and a light box.  Our edge players are so amped on getting to the QB that they are ignoring contain responsibilities.   Some weeks that might pay off, bet when you are getting trashed by the run why would you stay in that mode?   Reminded me f SF in the playoffs.

On offense we have had a habit of taking our foot off the gas as soon as a lead is made.  MLF has to be one of the more conservative coaches out there, to the point of it being a fault.   Why no timeout on the 1st drive on the aborted FG attempt.   Why no FG attempt at a 56 yarder indoors with the kicker brought in because he has a stronger leg?   Does anyone thing MLF would have attempted the 4th down conversions that Atlanta wet for if the tables were switched?  We went to the run the ball offense with our 2 best OL out of the game and more importantly our best RB out.

• Like 1

Note on the "make Ridder beat you" theme:  it's not totally like we didn't?  Ridder had 42 plays to Loves 27.  Ridder made 32 throws, and 10 runs, most of which runs were effective and often at crucial times.  

I don't really disagree that the Packers would have done well to stack the box further.  But a LOT of Bijan's yards were outside-the-tackles runs, no?  Man, if that guy can stay healthy, he's going to wrack up a LOT of yards and make a ton of yards-after-contact.  Very hard to tackle, that guy looks really special, at least for now.  

It's common to act like smart fans shouldn't value backs, and you can get good ones like Jones 3rd day or undrafted.  But not many 3rd-day guys who can do what Bijan can presently do.  He's a stud.  For now.  

I sometimes like to appreciate how electric good young backs can be.  After a few years of NFL bashing, who knows how long he'll still be so electric.  

33 minutes ago, R T said:

I usually ignore your comments, but this one makes me wonder what you think they should have done different on defense. A real solution and not some simple thing like just stop them from ramming the ball down their throats.

After the Falcons drive in the middle of the 3rd quarter that took over 6 minutes off the clock it was obvious the Packers defense was gassed and was going to be on the ropes for the remainder of the game. The Falcons were going to score, it was up to the Packers to decide if it was going to be quickly or slowly. If a team is up 12 to start the 4th than slowly is probably the choice. 

The spotlight on where to look concerning the 4th quarter should be on the offense here. The offense had 3 drives in the 4th quarter in a game where they needed to give the defense a small breather, yet those 3 drives they went 3 plays and punt, 3 plays and punt and 4 plays and turnover on downs. Now if people want to debate those drives and what could have been done differently that would be a good topic, but piling on the defense is a silly approach in looking at the 4th quarter. 

This game was always going to be a problem in the 4th quarter from the time the schedule was released. Playing what might be the best rushing offense in the NFL early in the season on their field was going to be an uphill battle. Which I did point out when the schedule was released. The NFL is not about who you play, but when you play them and playing the Falcons this early was not ideal. 

Instead of always picking what you think is the low hinging fruit and always blaming the defense, maybe look at what each part of the team could have done differently. Because the defense gave the team a chance until the very end, the offense did literally nothing in the 4th quarter.  

I completely agree with this.

but at the same time campbell on robinson out wide was obviously a schematic problem that could be diagnosed presnap.

Imo Savage should have just had robinsons number all day. Sul should have had pitts. 

It was also the first time i thought to myself that Gary didnt look fast enough. Initial burst was good but just was getting gassed. 

46 minutes ago, R T said:

The run defense has not earned this kind of defense. There is no grace period for the run defense like there is for our offense. Last year, they were one of the worst run defenses in NFL history as far as efficiency goes, and 2021 wasn't much better.

It's low hanging fruit because it's such a blatantly obvious flaw that even someone like my wife who doesn't give two ****s about football can watch the game with me and ask "why does the other team ever pass when you can just keep running for first downs." 

Yet we changed nothing. DC still in place, DL coach still in place, LB coach, still in place, scheme still in place. That signals, these guys are going to fix this. They did not, and it cost us another winnable football game. Making excuses for it is a losers mentality at this point as it will cost us more football games.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, R T said:

The Falcons came out and were throwing and it wasn't working. They went to the running game. That is called making an adjustment, something good coaches do. After getting it rammed down our throats a few times, you would think Barry might adjust. He didn't. 

Also, the second half we were playing without 4 of our top 5 or 6 best offensive players, including our best two offensive linemen. Anybody should have known we were going to struggle in the second half scoring points and sustaining drives. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. 

You stop the run, period. This is same **** different day with Joe Barry, plain and simple

You go ahead and try and pick as much fly **** out of that pepper as you can to justify your point of view. It's not as complex and nuanced as you make it seem. 

Edited by Old Guy

16 hours ago, Laces Out said:

It's a deceiving stat line as there's some bulk yardage and TD #s that are based off of his RB taking screens yard, and a statistical technicality on the quick designed shovel pass. He's thrown some interceptable balls as well, but overall fine. Still misses high sometimes.

Curious to see his deep ball once Watson's back and 100%, and if can develop some chemistry with Muscgrave while he's able to extend plays with his legs.

Not putting words in your mouth here,

But I will say this...Aaron Rodgers feasted on those shovel passes.  And I think he threw screens, too.

Every QB is going to have "bulk" yardage on screens, this is not just a Love thing.  It isn't like we are throwing 12 stand up passes a game, like we've done in the past.

And I seem to remember ole #12 throwing plenty of dropped INT's, especially to Fuller when he was a Bear.  Dude couldn't catch a cold, thankfully.

• Like 1

training wheels are still firmly on Love, Run Defense still plays way too light, and Jaire couldn't lock down a 2nd year receiver

Those are my 3 big takeaways.  Dillon/run game was struggling but MLF doesn't want to put the ball in Love's hands too often.

Packers are the 3rd most conservative team in the NFL in terms of run/pass splits in neutral situations.  Right above Atlanta with Ridder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Not putting words in your mouth here,

But I will say this...Aaron Rodgers feasted on those shovel passes.  And I think he threw screens, too.

Every QB is going to have "bulk" yardage on screens, this is not just a Love thing.  It isn't like we are throwing 12 stand up passes a game, like we've done in the past.

And I seem to remember ole #12 throwing plenty of dropped INT's, especially to Fuller when he was a Bear.  Dude couldn't catch a cold, thankfully.

oh for sure, i just think media is capitalizing on the 6/0 bit in two games to start the season, which isn't surprising.

I think Love's best throw this season was his incompletion in the corner of the endzone yesterday that the DB made a fantastic play on. That ball was a beauty.

So yeah stats can be goofy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laces Out said:

oh for sure, i just think media is capitalizing on the 6/0 bit in two games to start the season, which isn't surprising.

I think Love's best throw this season was his incompletion in the corner of the endzone yesterday that the DB made a fantastic play on. That ball was a beauty.

So yeah stats can be goofy.

Game of inches, but that ball in the corner to Wicks was amazing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm fairly certain 30 NFL teams are capable of blowing that game too. You simulate out that 4th Q, Packers win probably 9 times. We live in the reality where the 1 came true.

You are right.

But also?  We lost that game prior to the 4'th quarter.  They beat us up all day long on offense and on defense.

To win in the NFL you need to run the ball and stop the run.  We did neither.