A 2008-esque loss, Packers (1-1) fall to the Falcons (2-0) - Week 2 postgame thread

Striker

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

No. Don't factor it in. Because if he's paid based off this being factored in, he's not going to have that WR combo, that #1 RB, that top LT.

Don't make excuses for him. Don't turn Love into the next infallible QB.

Love is what he is. No ifs ands or butts. He either wins, or he loses. He's either good or he's bad. I don't want to hear this crap for another 10 years.

Tom Brady didn't bemoan losing anybody. He went out and cheated his way to 7 Super Bowl wins.

Love does not look amazing yet. Very serious long term concerns. His YAP and completion percentage are both well below what they should be.

Until he signs his next contract, he sucks.

I am looking for growth and development.  Expecting Love to be a finished product after his 2nd start (3rd overall) seems a bit foolish.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's not killing me, but you hate to let games get away because it could end up costing them down the road.  

Agree .. not killing me either but it sure was one that could have/should have been won.  Not having your 2 best lineman and 2 best offensive weapons but still having a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter and losing sucks .. period. 

15 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Sounds about as useful as picking up 'Snacks' Harrison late in '20. A 6th DL offering maybe 12-15 snaps at a level bordering on fringe at best?

Would not have been crazy to call big Jon Ford up for this one. It’s no secret what ATL likes to do. Although it’s more outside stretch runs rather that up the gut, having another  anchor on the inside wouldn’t hurt. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Would not have been crazy to call big Jon Ford up for this one. It’s no secret what ATL likes to do. Although it’s more outside stretch runs rather that up the gut, having another  anchor on the inside wouldn’t hurt. 

Wasn't aware Ford was inactive. Incredibly, I forgot he even existed when I tried remembering the DL group. And yeah, a space eater occupying 2-3 guys and freeing up the ILBs is always good for the rotation.

11 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Wasn't aware Ford was inactive. Incredibly, I forgot he even existed when I tried remembering the DL group. And yeah, a space eater occupying 2-3 guys and freeing up the ILBs is always good for the rotation.

He’s on the PS. This would have been a good one to see 99 in there to me, but what do I know. 6’5 tall and 6’5 wide. 

32 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I think this is the least i have cared about a packers loss or in football in general this early in the season

I am somewhere between annoyed and irritated. I’m all right if the team uses it to get better.

But they were holding a “WIN” chip and dropped it like six times, starting with 3rd and 16.

Just now, Uffdaswede said:

I am somewhere between annoyed and irritated. I’m all right if the team uses it to get better.

But they were holding a “WIN” chip and dropped it like six times, starting with 3rd and 16.

It might mean that im growing out of liking football besides for schadenfreude.

Baseball playoffs and hockey coming and i think im just moving away from football in general

• Like 2

Disappointing loss.  Lots of ways to have won that. 

But I wonder if Atlanta isn't going to be a really good team?  Bijan looked fantastic, so elusive and quick and strong.  Man, did he look fabulous.  Ridder threw the two bad interceptions-that-were-dropped, but he looked really good down the stretch.  Threw a bunch of good passes, and London looks terrific.  That could be a really good team, I think, and they whipped us.  

But yeah, as with lots of close games, things can hinge on a couple of key plays.  Jaire drops pick-6.  Quay drops INT.  Love chokes the sneak.  Dillon fails to get 1st downs several times when it seemed he had blocking and space to get there.  Various missed tackles.  Love missed throw to Doubs.  Somebody could have gotten Ridder on several of his game-changing runs.  

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Disappointing loss.  Lots of ways to have won that. 

But I wonder if Atlanta isn't going to be a really good team?  Bijan looked fantastic, so elusive and quick and strong.  Man, did he look fabulous.  Ridder threw the two bad interceptions-that-were-dropped, but he looked really good down the stretch.  Threw a bunch of good passes, and London looks terrific.  That could be a really good team, I think, and they whipped us.  

But yeah, as with lots of close games, things can hinge on a couple of key plays.  Jaire drops pick-6.  Quay drops INT.  Love chokes the sneak.  Dillon fails to get 1st downs several times when it seemed he had blocking and space to get there.  Various missed tackles.  Love missed throw to Doubs.  Somebody could have gotten Ridder on several of his game-changing runs.  

ATL is up and coming. Lot of talent on that OLine and backfield, giant receivers, probably an improving QB. The D didn’t impress me until crunch time and we let them stifle us. It has to be said, their coach rolled the dice and it payed off.  Part of that is because he could be confident in picking up short yardage with this crew. Still, he had to take some pretty real chances to win this one and we came up just short. I think we grow from this one and the O needs to do it’s part to balance out that 4th quarter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love has been decent.  He hasn't been great.  I feel like that is a fair assessment.  I've seen more or less what I was hoping to see from Love at this stage of the season.

Decent is underselling him. He's been very solid with his numbers boosted by Jones and some wide open plays or broken tackles helping his TD numbers. Not to mention the forward pitch to Reed being a throwing TD. I think his best throw of the game was broken up by Terrell. Atlanta isn't a great team but without bahk, Jenkins, Watson and Jones he played really well until the 4th. If Dillion wasn't terrible we win that game.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

Sounds about as useful as picking up 'Snacks' Harrison late in '20. A 6th DL offering maybe 12-15 snaps at a level bordering on fringe at best?

Uglem (and all bloggers and fans, really) need to quit bringing up veteran players this year. Even if they are cheap. It is clear that the front office and to a lesser extent the coaching staff sees this as a retooling year. They’re not really “trying” to win football games from a roster construction standpoint THIS YEAR. They would love to win as many games as they can, but they are not going to make many, if any, moves to shore up a roster that are short term bandaids. The only way a cheap vet pickup happens is if the roster is actually depleted due to injury.