The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

The other part is I love this class. I love these weapons and OL. There are safeties I like and LB’s I’d love to get as many picks in the top 50 of this class as I could. This class is tough and I really like the top end talent. I also don’t think it’s a deeply loaded class after the top 100 115 prospects. And I just want to see a totally different level on this roster of young tough players come June July and camp. I just want to see this team take the energy this staff has brought in and make this team younger and deeper in the trenches. Add something outside with Terry and Jahan that they don’t have like a Thomas Jr or Coleman. I’d still draft a QB because we need competition. But I’d work our picks we get in return and go get the guy I want but whoever they value. But this year we could just ride a wave with a quality staff and find a year that brings a physical confidence to build off of going forward. This team being tougher could really really change the way teams look at us and I believe we look like that guys like John, Terry Payne and Curl and Forrest and maybe even Davis and Cosmi this whole veteran energy could go next level

Well Denver doesn't have a second round pick.  So that leaves Vegas.  But my whole problem with this is it is great for future years but like you, I like this draft, so what does this really do for is in this draft? An extra second?

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I would want more. I’m not kidding. If I’m passing on Maye to move down then I need more. And if it’s the Raiders it starts at Crosby. If the Bears can ask for half our roster and our next 15 first round picks then I want at least 2 first round picks and Mad Maxx. That’s what it’s going to take and there’s no way in hell the Raiders would do it. 

Denver, get ready to part with Surtain if you want to move up to 2. Because for me, that’s how valuable Drake Maye is. If I’m going to pass on a guy that I think is Josh Allen 2.0 then I want your best. If the Broncos or Raiders are willing to meet those demands then I’m cool with moving back but neither team will. 

I think the reports are hilarious what people are talking price for mock. The trade value chart isn’t everything but they are hilarious thinking we’re going to give up the same or more as Carolina to move 8 spots for us to go 1. It’s hilarious and we’d hang the phone up laughing. It be even more funny if these reports were serious if Caleb came out and said he won’t play there because then they are stuck

• Like 1

I think this is one of Drake's better games of the season. He seems relaxed here and uses his athleticism on some runs and in the pocket. He runs the QB sneak good as well. Some pretty swell TD passes in here - although his longest TD pass was behind the WR and kind of lucky. Drake can pick teams apart if he gets time in the pocket. 

Starts off hot and then cools off. This might be a bad statistical game but it tells a lot about Drake Maye. This game feels like he's playing against an NFL defense in a hostile environment. The TD throw at 2:39 shows me Drake can be special. The 30 yard scramble in the second half is special and could be his best run this season? His WRs dropped a few decent passes here and his passing line should be better. Uses the shovel pass in this game and in a few of the others I've watched. Shows he can go through some progressions here too. I'd like to see him add 5-10 pounds onto his frame. I'm not buying the Josh Allen or Big Ben comparisons that have been made here until he does that. 

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

I think this is one of Drake's better games of the season. He seems relaxed here and uses his athleticism on some runs and in the pocket. He runs the QB sneak good as well. Some pretty swell TD passes in here - although his longest TD pass was behind the WR and kind of lucky. Drake can pick teams apart if he gets time in the pocket. 

One thing he needs a lot of work on (and it shows up on the second snap of this video) is ball-handling. He’s pretty bad whether he keeps the ball or gives it — very half-hearted effort at carrying out the fakes. That annoys me. 

Very much agree with your second post, I don’t see Josh Allen or Big Ben in his frame. Those are thickly built guys who just bounce off dudes trying to tackle him. Maye is not that. 

If we’re doing the comp game, I still have  him somewhere between Jared Goff and Justin Herbert. I don’t think his arm is quite at the same level as Herbert, but I think he has more creativity and the legs will give a little bit more than Goff. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If we’re doing the comp game, I still have  him somewhere between Jared Goff and Justin Herbert. I don’t think his arm is quite at the same level as Herbert, but I think he has more creativity and the legs will give a little bit more than Goff. 

Blake Bortles is actually the comp I have for him. Height and weight are pretty similar. I think Bortles had a stronger arm and Maye is more accurate. Maye is probably more athletic than Bortles, IMO. Both seemed to have an issue of locking onto their primary receivers too long and both can accurately throw to open receivers. A strong chance that Maye will go top 3 like Bortles.

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Blake Bortles is actually the comp I have for him. Height and weight are pretty similar. I think Bortles had a stronger arm and Maye is more accurate. Maye is probably more athletic than Bortles, IMO. Both seemed to have an issue of locking onto their primary receivers too long and both can accurately throw to open receivers. A strong chance that Maye will go top 3 like Bortles.

I remember bortles as a good sized guy but he was just a dink and dunk qb.  

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Think Maye definitely has the stronger arm. Bortles had a solid arm, but not what you’d expect from a guy that looked like he did.

Bortles did a lot of short-passing stuff at UCF (and in the league, for that matter), but he never threw the ball real well down the field. Lots of sprint-out, screen stuff in the UCF offense to let them pick up YAC. If anything, Maye is sort of the opposite — the accuracy sometimes blinks out on the shorter stuff, but where he’s special is in ripping the ball down the field. 

I think in terms of the actual passing part of the game, the guy Bortles actually reminds me more of is McCarthy. Very different body types, and Bortles has that very long, deliberate over-the-top delivery, but in terms of the velocity and the ability to be very flexible with the upper half to really make those throws on the move, it’s more McCarthy than Maye for me. Maybe even more Nix, really.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

"...conversations within league circles have reiterated that OC Kliff Kingsbury isn't looking to utilize a QB as a major portion of his run game—thus detaching Washington from Daniels."
-@_RyanFowler_ (Tier 2🥈)

#HTTC | #Commanders | #NFLDraft

On 2/18/2024 at 11:21 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

I wonder if the Trey Lance debacle will leave Adam Peters gun shy to move up 1 spot and dish out an unprecedented amount of draft capital. Their evaluation of these 3 QBs needs to be spot on whether they move up or stay put. There’s no consensus just a lot of mixed reviews of these guys on who they would draft from all different people around the sports world. 

I think what you said about needing to be spot on in their evaluation of the 3 QBs is what matters, also with Kingsbury being so close to CWill, that matters a lot too. Kingsbury already has an evaluation of CWill that's as good as anyone not named Lincoln Riley. So, I think if the trade csn be worked out where it doesn't cost us a 1st in 2025 & 2026 that we’ll pull the trigger and draft CWill if the Bears are trading the pick.

It's my opinion though that the Bears will not trade the pick. I think they're going to trade Justin Fields to Atlanta or Pittsburgh and then they're going to draft CWill.

CWill is a better pocket-passing prospect than Fields. That evaluation is easy to make. Also, resetting the rookie QB contract for the Bears is huge for the next 4 years. If they get Caleb & he even just plays like a 10-ish QB & they retain most of their current talent plus add to it in FA and the draft then I could see them becoming a playoff team within a few years.

I mean they were 7-10 this year with let's call it inconsistent QB play from the pocket with Fields.

Edited by turtle28

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Bottles Service = Blaine Gabbert

2: R1 P2 WR Marvin Harrison Jr. - Ohio State
36: R2 P4 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
40: R2 P8 QB Bo Nix - Oregon
67: R3 P3 G Christian Haynes - Uconn
99: R3 P35 G Isaiah Adams - Illinois
102: R4 P2 RB Bucky Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 TE Dallin Holker - Colorado State
221: R7 P2 P Tory Taylor - Iowa
Different take 
Edited by ARTMONK HOF

10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:
2: R1 P2 WR Marvin Harrison Jr. - Ohio State
36: R2 P4 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
40: R2 P8 QB Bo Nix - Oregon
67: R3 P3 G Christian Haynes - Uconn
99: R3 P35 G Isaiah Adams - Illinois
102: R4 P2 RB Bucky Irving - Oregon
140: R5 P4 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M
178: R6 P3 TE Dallin Holker - Colorado State
221: R7 P2 P Tory Taylor - Iowa
Different take 

Bo Nix……..yikes.  In honor of @catcheryea I will share my feelings on this one 

pinocchio-drowned-dead-emv5hfn0f6v8x8z4.

• Like 1

Ken Johannsen 

Since the beginning of draft season in early January, the Commanders have met with/interviewed...

20 QBs
43 WRs
20 TEs
22 RBs
28 OGs
31 OTs
15 OCs
46 CBs
17 SSs
16 FSs
34 LBs
33 DE/Edges
35 DL/DTs
7 Ks
7 Ps
7 LSs

At least 381 players thus far.

• Like 2

Ken Johannesen

The Commanders met with the following defensive players at the College Gridiron Showcase last month:

Daniel Grzesiak, DE/Edge, Cincinnati
Shyheim Battle, CB, N.C. State
Steve Stephens, FS, Oregon
Tristan Wheeler, LB, Richmond
Brock Mogensen, LB, South Dakota

• Like 1