The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

If you guy's have not done so already, Kevin Sheehan had Chris Cooley do film breakdown on JJ and Jaden yesterday (he will do Drake and Penix later this week, or next). I really respect Cooley's eye for talent and he is 100% "un biased," said several times that he did not watch a lot of college ball - so coming in on this with a neutral position. 

Was a good listen. I would take the 40 minutes and download the podcast (free).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Quick list of the top NFL TEs and their pre-draft Relative Athletic Scores (RAS). If we’re looking at mid-round TEs, this should be a big piece of the consideration. Pretty rare is the player who can be a high-end NFL TE despite being a mediocre athlete. 

Travis Kelce - 9.27

George Kittle - 9.52

Rob Gronkowski - 9.31

Mark Andrews - 7.28

TJ Hockenson - 9.19

Sam LaPorta - 9.01

Dallas Goedert - 9.48

Cole Kmet - 8.92

Darren Waller - 9.05

Kyle Pitts - 9.65

Evan Engram - 9.11

David Njoku - 9.32

Dalton Schultz - 7.09

Zach Ertz - 6.38

Jared Cook - 9.05

Trey McBride - 8.20

Noah Fant - 9.88

I say this every year having a elite TE is the formula to breeding a QB because they are the safety outlet

26 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

It's Maye guys. He is having dinner while McCarthy and Daniels are being crammed in together. 

I mean there’s a lot to like about Maye especially for Kliffs offense. Truth be told each has something you can point out but all 3 of the top guys really do have some special traits. I’m just excited at this point to find out what jersey I’m buying. I honestly think we’re about to get blessed with a great haul this year I can feel it

5 hours ago, Troublez said:

If you guy's have not done so already, Kevin Sheehan had Chris Cooley do film breakdown on JJ and Jaden yesterday (he will do Drake and Penix later this week, or next). I really respect Cooley's eye for talent and he is 100% "un biased," said several times that he did not watch a lot of college ball - so coming in on this with a neutral position. 

Was a good listen. I would take the 40 minutes and download the podcast (free).

Not going to lie, I stopped listening when he said he watched 3 college games and was sold that he was the guy. Flat out said he didn't need to watch tape on the other QBs. He sounded like a fanboy. Maybe that's your cup of tea, but it wasn't mine. 

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Not going to lie, I stopped listening when he said he watched 3 college games and was sold that he was the guy. Flat out said he didn't need to watch tape on the other QBs. He sounded like a fanboy. Maybe that's your cup of tea, but it wasn't mine. 

You stopped listening b/c an NFL talent (who was a student under one of the most highly regarded offensive minds); and who, directly played with RGIII / other rookie QBs, said that after 3 games he liked Jaden's ability to succeed in the NFL (and was not worried about his frame)? He is only watching 3 games on each.

Sorry that was not your cup of tea, but you should really be more mindful of other perspectives. Its limiting all around. Your response is discrediting, and there is really no reason to be a jerk about it... I was just tossing out some content since we are all so ravenous for the NFL Draft.

Edited by Troublez

52 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

what do you mean ? He's our pick ?

Sorry, I expected my sarcasm to bleed through. I was poking fun at those that make definitive statements from inferred information. 

I have no clue who they are going to select. To be honest, I don't have a preference either. I will root for whichever QB they pick, simultaneously ridicule the selection as an overdraft of an overhyped prospect and insist that the correct decision would have been to maximize draft capital by trading down. 

4 minutes ago, Troublez said:

You stopped listening b/c an NFL talent (who was a student under one of the most highly regarded offensive minds); and who, directly played with RGIII / other rookie QBs, said that after 3 games he liked Jaden's ability to succeed in the NFL (and was not worried about his frame)? He is only watching 3 games on each.

Sorry that was not your cup of tea, but you should really be more mindful of other perspectives. Its limiting all around. Your response is discrediting, and there is really no reason to be a jerk about it... I was just tossing out some content since we are all so ravenous for the NFL Draft.

I'm sorry that you felt I was being a jerk. I was merely trying to state that upon your suggestion I tried to listen to the podcast.

I thought Chris Cooley's "analysis" sounded much more fanboy-ish than actually analyzing the player. The fact that he gave an opinion after watching 3 games is cool. He is a former player that I have a ton of respect for. I don't think you should change your opinion of what he said based off what my feelings are on it. 

I apologize if you think I shut down or discredited your opinion. That was not my intention. 

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yikes, that’s pretty bad process. 

I do like Cooley and think he’s a good dude, and I think he’s shown to be pretty good with these QB evals in the past…but man, you really need to see more than 3 games.

If for no other reason than just for context. If Jayden had played the way he did in the last 10 games throughout the entirety of his 55 game career, we’d likely all be totally sold on him. He’d be hands down the best player in the history of college football.

But obviously there was a huge spike at the end of his career, and I’m not sure how you can even attempt to evaluate the how’s and the why’s of that without knowing what his prior baseline was. Are you evaluating Jayden — or that offense? How do you even start to try to separate *Jayden* from *the 2023 LSU offensive machine* without having any idea what Jayden was doing before?