The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Tried another one 

5: R1 P5 OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu - Penn State Best Tackle in the draft

36: R2 P4 G Troy Fautanu - Washington OT/OG

39: R2 P7 CB Caelen Carson - Wake Forest K. Fuller 29 and FA BSJ is a PI in waiting 

71: R3 P7 LB Tommy Eichenberg - Ohio State Smart LB/Physical

99: R3 P35 TE Jaheim Bell - Florida State WR/TE

107: R4 P7 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M WR/KR/PR

143: R5 P7 C Zach Frazier - West Virginia No Larsen/Gates Battle it with Stromberg

182: R6 P7 DL Gabe Hall - Baylor Nice size 6’5 290 Quick first step 

226: R7 P7 RB Jarquez Hunter - Auburn 
Great compliment to B-Rob and C-Rod

• Like 3

On 11/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn’t the word about Trotter Jr that he is limited physically?  If we’re staying with the 4-3, I’m not sure we need to draft that player.  

They said that about Nick Bolton. But instincts are always something that mask those type of physical limitations. He’s def a motor player I personally love him

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Tried another one 

39: R2 P7 CB Caelen Carson - Wake Forest K. Fuller 29 and FA BSJ is a PI in waiting 

143: R5 P7 C Zach Frazier - West Virginia No Larsen/Gates Battle it with Stromberg

I love the top two picks. Love Smith as well.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:54 PM, offbyone said:

Good point.  We probably want to still keep either Lucas or Leno around and wylie will be here as a backup.  But we got to dive into this upgrade and this draft looks good for it.  

Fashanu could be a real star but I do wonder if it is too early to tell for him.  I don't think he has enough starts at left tackle to declare him that guy.  The other question is whether we should be wary of the hometown kid thing.  I would trade down before taking any of these tackles top 5, but there are a handful I would be excited to take in the next 30 picks.

The problem with the top 5 is your whole Bowers concept.  If you use the pick there, you want to pick a player who is at another level there.  

See Fashanu has Trent Level upside because his movement hands and anchor. I don’t think anyone is physically like Trent that moves like Trent. But Fashanu moves very well. The Bowers part from you I feel like I’m miss understanding because that kid is at a different level from every player in the draft not named Harrison Jr. and even then for the things Bowers does he is a different level

• Like 1

Just started my initial scouting/rankings and what a year to have a top 5 pick potentially. Let's hope we don't screw it up. 

My initial thoughts for our pick:

1) LT Joe Alt - Alt has unique size and looks like a pro LT out there. He's that 10 year potential franchise LT guy to me. 

2) TE Brock Bowers - More like 1B than #2 really. We missed the boat on Michael Mayer and Trey McBride in back to back years - I was really high on both of those guys. Will we pass on ANOTHER All-American Tight End?

3) LT Olu Fashanu - Here's my hot take. A little overrated, but a fine consolation prize. Not really top 5 material and more like a 10-15 range prospect. I have him rated below Peter Skoronski and above Broderick Jones for example from last year. 

*My Rankings revolve around All American status and RAS scores so they can change

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Tried another one 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7tqrgi85rbcsh15tcqi

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

See Fashanu has Trent Level upside because his movement hands and anchor. I don’t think anyone is physically like Trent that moves like Trent. But Fashanu moves very well. The Bowers part from you I feel like I’m miss understanding because that kid is at a different level from every player in the draft not named Harrison Jr. and even then for the things Bowers does he is a different level

I was saying that in support of Bowers.  Meaning I don't think Fashanu is worthy of a top 5 pick because he is not that special.  He doesn't stand out to me compared to the other tackles.  Bowers on the other hand might be.  I just don't know about the whole TE thing at the top of the draft.  

I really love what will be available between picks 10 and 50 so I would not be opposed to us trading down 10 spots.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Early on, it’s (expectedly) hard to watch both Mims and Latham on the same field and conclude that Latham is the better prospect.

Latham has not had the best game, yeah 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't like it. Passed on way too much top 10 talent.

It wasn't a super realistic draft as Caleb Williams was available at 5 as was Kool-Aid and Brock Bowers. The draft went Chi-Fashanu, Ari - Alt, NE - Harrison Jr., Chi - Maye, and Tennessee traded up for Williams. Then without a viable draft option at 10 I traded down with Arizona (I believe they selected the FSU WR) and was able to get 2 addition seconds and an additional 4th, while repairing the offensive line. I actually was really surprised that Jayden Daniels made it to the last of my 2nd round picks and couldn't pass anymore.

Fuaga isn't on the same level as some of the top OTs and he may need to kick inside, but he is an absolute animal. While Fuaga might need to kick inside Suamataia is absolutely a NFL OT. He could play either side and the addition of Fautanu rounds out a redefined offensive line. While it is not typically advised to start a bunch of young guys on the O-Line, I would run with a Leno - Fuaga - Larsen/Stromberg - Cosmi - Suamataia with Fautanu as the primary rotation inside and Fuaga as a guy that can kick outside if need be.

I fully expect us to invest A BUNCH of resources into the offensive line and the top 50 is loaded with talent across the line.

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

Just started my initial scouting/rankings and what a year to have a top 5 pick potentially. Let's hope we don't screw it up. 

My initial thoughts for our pick:

1) LT Joe Alt - Alt has unique size and looks like a pro LT out there. He's that 10 year potential franchise LT guy to me. 

2) TE Brock Bowers - More like 1B than #2 really. We missed the boat on Michael Mayer and Trey McBride in back to back years - I was really high on both of those guys. Will we pass on ANOTHER All-American Tight End?

3) LT Olu Fashanu - Here's my hot take. A little overrated, but a fine consolation prize. Not really top 5 material and more like a 10-15 range prospect. I have him rated below Peter Skoronski and above Broderick Jones for example from last year. 

*My Rankings revolve around All American status and RAS scores so they can change

Yeah I’m starting to fall in line with this as well. I think Alt is a better player than Fashanu and I think Fashanu might be a bit overrated. Honestly, it’s to the point where I don’t think there’s as much separation between the OTs as there is the TEs. Not wanting to take Bowers top 10 is as silly as the people who said you couldn’t take a safety top 10 when we took Taylor. And for the love of god stop with the “Kyle Pitts hasn’t done well so Bowers won’t” stuff. It’s so dumb. Not “you” but this fanbase outside of FF in general. Especially the dudes at Hogs Haven. 

• Like 2

Fashanu 

- Great core strength and base 

- Elite pass protector 

- Needs some work on hand placement 

- Started 20 at LT

- Ceiling is very high 

Alt

I don’t like very tall Offensive Tackles. He plays with a very narrow base and light in the seat. 
His skills are a little more refined than Fashanu. His ceiling is definitely not as high. He’s played 25 games at LT

Overall for me I’d prefer Fashanu over Alt

Everyone has their own opinions and what they like and look for in each player. 

• Like 2