Week 3 GDT: Raiders vs. Steelers - Waitin' all day for a Sunday Night

big_palooka

11 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I disagree, Mark did a great job getting the Las Vegas deal done, brilliant.

Dennis Allen was hired as a stop gap as there was no reputable coach that was going to take that job with the complete and utter tear down that the team needed after the Al Davis era. He just gave a young coach a shot.

Reggie McKenzie for all his draft misses actually did a lot I think to start the turnaround and was a good initial hire. It’s easy to forget what a state we were left in. I liked the JDR hire and we were seemingly headed in the right direction. 

I didn’t like the Gruden hire at all and Mark was impulsive there and got it wrong - though I don’t think he could have known what would go down in that one chaotic year with Ruggs, Gruden and Arnette.

I didn’t like the McDaniels hire as I wanted Harbaugh or David Shaw but we’re still only part way through this experience. 

I like Mark as an owner, has he made some bad choices? Yes, absolutely. But I believe he’s got integrity and I wouldn’t want the team owned by some faceless corporate conglomerate.

We need to start drafting well, when that happens we’ll be a good team again and compete.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You are playing a bit of hindsight here. 

Starting with McKenzie who is and was a well respected FO figure in Green Bay. He was endorsed by several people to Mark. That said, I hated that Mark's first GM search, he literally interviewed nobody else, just took Reggie at face value on endorsement from his circle. McKenzie coach hire was awful in Allen. Then Mark took over and strapped him with Del Rio. 

Gruden was a wanted guy for a long time, right or wrong. Mark being a fanboy, he just jumped at the chance. The only positive was the 10 year contract. Basically assured some consistency in the organization until the email scandal. The Mayock hire was and will be laughably bad. 

McDaniels, same boat. He's been a coveted guys for years. Bears, Giants and Vikings showed interest in him but he wanted the right spot. For him, anything less than winning was going to get him scrutinized due to his past. And that is where we are at. 

I think Mark is a passionate owner. He lets his people do their thing, but he just can't get the right people. This organization lacks talent and has for 2 decades. You need people who know how to find and develop talent. Because until that happens, the losing culture can't shift.

Sorry fellas... rule #1 is you don't hire coaches with a multi year layoff. And Josh McDaniels may have been "coveted" but was also extremely criticized as a leader. The whole Indy debacle was atrocious. Hired a staff, they all bought real estate, he backed out without telling any of that staff. Who does that outside of a child? I mean, I haven't given up on McDaniels because I'm a bias fan and always hope for the best. But the hiring to begin with was meh.

Mark is a nice guy. What does that have to do with building a quality team? Mark could have hired guys on the rise with new innovative schemes like Mike McDaniel. However, all Mark does, is look for these past failed coaches. Look at McDaniels track record as HC including the Indy hiring. Look at Grudens final 5-6 years as a HC. Gruden took over a Tony Dungy roster and won. Gruden has a solid offensive scheme but he has always been known as one of the very very very worst talent evaluators and roster builders in the NFL. And you can't keep him out of those decisions entirely because his ego is too large. 

I'll always be grateful to Mark for giving Oakland the finger and not letting those politicians bully him, and securing the Vegas deal with this amazing stadium. A's ownership for example is letting the politicians their bully them, start smear campaigns, and have convinced MLB fans it's the A's ownership fault. This is called getting the media on your side and then getting the fans to watch that media. A's ownership hasn't done anything wrong. City of Oakland is very corrupt and has backed out of 10+ deals. They will lose all three sports teams for a reason. Mark Davis did not let anyone bully him, did not succumb to smear campaigns or media pressure, and gave that city and it's corrupt politics a big giant finger. However, he has yet to prove he has any clue what he is doing when it comes to hiring a great GM and HC. Al Davis had a special talent and eye for it. He would always hire the next "great up and comer". Mark Davis hires the last washed up HC, instead of exciting new up and comers. We deserve better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

Sorry fellas... rule #1 is you don't hire coaches with a multi year layoff. And Josh McDaniels may have been "coveted" but was also extremely criticized as a leader. The whole Indy debacle was atrocious. Hired a staff, they all bought real estate, he backed out without telling any of that staff. Who does that outside of a child? I mean, I haven't given up on McDaniels because I'm a bias fan and always hope for the best. But the hiring to begin with was meh.

Mark is a nice guy. What does that have to do with building a quality team? Mark could have hired guys on the rise with new innovative schemes like Mike McDaniel. However, all Mark does, is look for these past failed coaches. Look at McDaniels track record as HC including the Indy hiring. Look at Grudens final 5-6 years as a HC. Gruden took over a Tony Dungy roster and won. Gruden has a solid offensive scheme but he has always been known as one of the very very very worst talent evaluators and roster builders in the NFL. And you can't keep him out of those decisions entirely because his ego is too large. 

I'll always be grateful to Mark for giving Oakland the finger and not letting those politicians bully him, and securing the Vegas deal with this amazing stadium. A's ownership for example is letting the politicians their bully them, start smear campaigns, and have convinced MLB fans it's the A's ownership fault. This is called getting the media on your side and then getting the fans to watch that media. A's ownership hasn't done anything wrong. City of Oakland is very corrupt and has backed out of 10+ deals. They will lose all three sports teams for a reason. Mark Davis did not let anyone bully him, did not succumb to smear campaigns or media pressure, and gave that city and it's corrupt politics a big giant finger. However, he has yet to prove he has any clue what he is doing when it comes to hiring a great GM and HC. Al Davis had a special talent and eye for it. He would always hire the next "great up and comer". Mark Davis hires the last washed up HC, instead of exciting new up and comers. We deserve better. 

No, rule #1 is ‘cheating is encouraged’, rule #2 is ‘see rule #1’ 😁

I get that most didn’t like the McDaniels hire, hate his past and continue to bring it up, but we’re only just into year 2 so I’m prepared to see where this roller coaster goes. I don’t think we should judge based on what happened a decade ago, let’s see what happens now. 

With regard Gruden, again I hated the hire but his team did get to the playoffs and despite atrocious drafting before he resigned the team was taking shape and looked promising.

I don’t think Mark has chosen the best coaches, though I give him a mulligan for Alken as that was a poisoned chalice and a no win situation for a complete rebuild that no highly regarded guy would have taken. JDR I thought was a good hire and started to turn the team around but the truth is that since 2002 this team has been a mess so to say Mark is primarily responsible is a little disingenuous as he’s gotten the team to the playoffs twice more than Al did post 2002. He’s certainly made mistakes and I’d agree that hiring coaches after a long layoff is a risk for sure, but I don’t think Mark is the problem and I’m glad to have him compared to some of the scum bags who own teams.

• Like 2

I think we should bring in Eric Bienemy as our HC.  Either promote Champ Kelly to GM or keep him as assistant and find someone else to fill in as GM.  Bienemy is proving to be a true mastermind running the offense.  We would just need to find us a better DC.  I'm not much of a fan of Patrick Graham at DC.  I'm sure Bienemy would be able to assemble a better staff.  Might as well strike before another team signs Bienemy and ends up in the playoffs for the next 5 years in a row.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think we should bring in Eric Bienemy as our HC.  Either promote Champ Kelly to GM or keep him as assistant and find someone else to fill in as GM.  Bienemy is proving to be a true mastermind running the offense.  We would just need to find us a better DC.  I'm not much of a fan of Patrick Graham at DC.  I'm sure Bienemy would be able to assemble a better staff.  Might as well strike before another team signs Bienemy and ends up in the playoffs for the next 5 years in a row.

No thanks. Eric B has really questionable leadership vibes and bombs interviews. 

17 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

No thanks. Eric B has really questionable leadership vibes and bombs interviews. 

He's killing it with the Washington offense.  Clearly he's doing well with his players.  I care more about what the players think of him than what the owners think, and from what I've read I think P. Mahomes, T. Hill, and a handful of other really good KC players really appreciated him as a coach.

Just now, Jerry said:

He's killing it with the Washington offense.  Clearly he's doing well with his players.  I care more about what the players think of him than what the owners think, and from what I've read I think P. Mahomes, T. Hill, and a handful of other really good KC players really appreciated him as a coach.

Of course they will say that during an interview… there was tons of reports Chief players hated the dude and him and Mahomes had serious friction 

5 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Of course they will say that during an interview… there was tons of reports Chief players hated the dude and him and Mahomes had serious friction 

Jamaal Charles, NFL Fans Take Issue with LeSean McCoy's Criticism of Eric Bieniemy | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

I think the only ex-KC player that hated him was McCoy and that's because McCoy didn't do well in KC.  Several other players came out to defend Eric Bienemy.  

Anyway, I would hire Eric Bienemy today if I had the power.  We can do better than McDaniels.  We just need to admit it and move on.

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Jamaal Charles, NFL Fans Take Issue with LeSean McCoy's Criticism of Eric Bieniemy | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

I think the only ex-KC player that hated him was McCoy and that's because McCoy didn't do well in KC.  Several other players came out to defend Eric Bienemy.  

Anyway, I would hire Eric Bienemy today if I had the power.  We can do better than McDaniels.  We just need to admit it and move on.

Yes hire the guy today with no interview… don’t get to feel out his character, don’t get to see him lay his blueprint for the offense, just throw money at him… wise decision. 

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Yes hire the guy today with no interview… don’t get to feel out his character, don’t get to see him lay his blueprint for the offense, just throw money at him… wise decision. 

You act like signing McDaniels with his track record is somehow better.  Lol.

18 hours ago, Jerry said:

You act like signing McDaniels with his track record is somehow better.  Lol.

McDaniels track record is not a good argument to me, it’s a small sample size and it’s long ago. I didn’t like the hire personally, but to use his HC record from a decade ago is not a great way to decide if he’s going to be good or bad as a HC right now. I think we should be judging him on what he’s doing right now, and though it doesn’t look great at the moment let’s reassess as the season progresses.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

McDaniels track record is not a good argument to me, it’s a small sample size and it’s long ago. I didn’t like the hire personally, but to use his HC record from a decade ago is not a great way to decide if he’s going to be good or bad as a HV now. I think we should be judging him on what he’s doing right now, and though it doesn’t look great at the moment let’s reassess as the season progresses.

Can we use his head coaching record from this decade?  

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

This is hilarious because players really appreciate McDaniels as a coach. And most live in JMDs past and EBs past isn't great personally or how he's viewed in interviews. And EB rubbed some players the wrong way in camp who were vocal about it. 

Anyway.....  it's been 2 weeks. They played Arizona and Denver. 2 of the bottom 5 teams in the league. Let's see how that offense looks against the Bills. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

I mean they didn't kill it week one

Then they were down 21-3 at Denver, they killed it for like a half. I think we all need to give things more than 2 weeks to determine what's what.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

McDaniels track record is not a good argument to me, it’s a small sample size and it’s long ago. I didn’t like the hire personally, but to use his HC record from a decade ago is not a great way to decide if he’s going to be good or bad as a HV now. I think we should be judging him on what he’s doing right now, and though it doesn’t look great at the moment let’s reassess as the season progresses.

Didn't he set the record as a HC for most losses after leading by double digits in a season last season?

This whole wait and see game is agony.