Week 3 GDT: Raiders vs. Steelers - Waitin' all day for a Sunday Night

big_palooka

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

We’re not the Chargers so I think we’ll see them hoist the Lombardi again! 2002 was such an awesome season apart from the finale and I can barely remember 1983 as I was young 😁

It’s easy to preach patience I know and so hard to just sit through season after season of false dawns, calamities and embarrassments. We all want a quick fix and when we see other teams seemingly turn around quick I feeds that.

The trouble with our particular situation I feel is that because of our absolutely shocking drafting we’re simply not one or two pieces away that can make a monumental change quickly. We need a couple years of good drafting and a sensible year or two of free agent acquisitions. Realistically I think two years could have us as a real contender if they do it well, that is the billion dollar question though isn’t it, can we draft well? Can we build a team and system well? 

I disagree I think we’re one good solid draft away from being contenders. If our top 4 picks we’re worth anything we’d be dangerous. 

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Judging a draft class 2 weeks in is just dumb. I'll leave it at that. 

The expectation some fans have of rookies is ridiculous.

Ignoring top prospects deficiencies and putting a wait 2-3 year stamp on it is dumb Imo. 

expecting a top 10 pick to look respectable is ridiculous? Sounds like loser mentality. 

“so used to losing you don’t know how to win”

6 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Ignoring top prospects deficiencies and putting a wait 2-3 year stamp on it is dumb Imo. 

expecting a top 10 pick to look respectable is ridiculous? Sounds like loser mentality. 

“so used to losing you don’t know how to win”

Asked this is another thread, but if Wilson is an all-pro pass rusher year 3, will you have this same energy? 

Dline is one of the hardest positions to translate to. You're also talking about a kid who was injured and hasn't gotten time to transition to the pro game. 

Edited by big_palooka

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Ask this is another thread, but if Wilson is an all-pro pass rusher year 3, will you have this same energy? 

Dline is one of the hardest positions to translate to. You're also talking about a kid who was injured and hasn't gotten time to transition to the pro game. 

I answered it in the other thread. 

all the above sounds like excuses on why he should’ve never been drafted @7   

20 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I disagree I think we’re one good solid draft away from being contenders. If our top 4 picks we’re worth anything we’d be dangerous. 

If this current draft class can improve throughout this current year and yield several starters (particularly Wilson, Young/Silvera and Bennet) then yes, it’s plausible that with another good free agent haul and a draft class next year they could be contenders as early as next year. This is hugely reliant on Garoppolo improving about 50% though which he may or may not do.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not playing Byron Young and Jade Silvera is laughable by Patrick Graham at this point. They may have talent and you're benching them for vet bums. Laughable.

I don't disagree, because what do you have to lose. But Dline is a hard transition for rookies. Expecting them to do anything positive would be a stretch. I'm sure they will get run later in the season. I would like to see Nesta in the rotation at least. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That happens with teams who have some talent to start with. And usually the result of playing a last place schedule. Giants and Vikings last year looked great, made the playoffs. Now both are trending downwards. Sean Payton is a Super Bowl winner, joined a talentless Denver team. They will need a few years.

I do get the frustration but it starts with the fact that every time a coach takes over the Raiders, they walk into a bad situation. And worse, they can't draft their way out of it. The missed draft picks over the years are directly the problem with this team. 

What players are not playing to their strengths? I don't see that personally. 

Mainly Renfrow at this point. Haven’t seen any of his quadruple juke tuddies since Gruden was here.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't disagree, because what do you have to lose. But Dline is a hard transition for rookies. Expecting them to do anything positive would be a stretch. I'm sure they will get run later in the season. I would like to see Nesta in the rotation at least. 

The problem is they will get run later Jade will look like a run stuffing beast and we will all be saying why the hell he wasn't in there sooner.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

The problem is they will get run later Jade will look like a run stuffing beast and we will all be saying why the hell he wasn't in there sooner.

Could be. And maybe he just needs that time to develop. He was 7th round pick and we shouldn't blindly follow camp reports and think he's going to be a beast. 

That said, if his motor and relentlessness that were talked about are truly there, he should earn reps. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Could be. And maybe he just needs that time to develop. He was 7th round pick and we shouldn't blindly follow camp reports and think he's going to be a beast. 

That said, if his motor and relentlessness that were talked about are truly there, he should earn reps. 

True, and he does need to develop further but from what I saw in pre season he showed much more technique, leverage and nous than say, Wilson and Wilson is starting and Silvera isn’t even rotating in.

Now, obviously I don’t think Wilson was intended to start as Jones was and obviously Silvera showed up against backups only in pre season but I’d say from what I’ve seen on the field Silvera is way ahead of Wilson in terms of technique, knowledge and much more likely to have a positive impact.